• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6mmAR Turbo 40D+ more

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
This cartridge case is the 6mmAR Turbo 40 degree shoulder.It's NOT the regular 6mmAR Turbo.

Since I'm somewhat of an accuracy nut I decided to give this upper a try.
http://www.6mmar.com/

Mine has a DPMS extra thick receiver,26 inch Krieger stainless barrel with 2 inch forward gas port,long free float handgaurd and side charging handle.

My first impression was how well(tight,feels like a perfect fit)the bolt locked up and how handy the side charging handle is.Also the machining in the receiver for the side charging handle and handle itself is flawless.

Next thing was reloading.I resized the 6.5 Grendal parent case to a slight jam fit with a false shoulder for proper fireforming.I took some N-140 off the shelf that's been sittin there for a couple years and decided to take half a grain off some other loads that Robert had listed deciding at 28 grains for the 105JLK's.So in they went at max mag length.I drove to the nearest place I could and fired 3 rounds to make sure they were OK.They were just right so I went home and loaded all 100 cases.

Off to shoot em:

2/23/09:I wanted to test for function and make some fireformed 6mmAR Turbo 40 degree cases for initial loading to do later in the day so I braved some ridiculous winds gusting at 30-40 mph.When getting my first zero at 100 yards,on a shootnsee target,stuck to a five gallon bucket filled with dirt,I noticed immediately that bullets were touching as I moved the adjustments to POA.It's always a good sign when this happens!Dirt was blowing in my eyes and all over my new gun so I only fired 33 rounds.The last 15 or so rushed shots were in just over an inch wide.Zero malfunctions.

When I got home I loaded some test loads with the new 6mm ART40 degree cases using 95Bergers,108Bergers and 105JLK's at max mag length.For powder I used the N-140 and H-380.

Next day:
This time winds were in the 15mph range and I shot at 200 yards.
The H-380 loads were too slow in the 2750 fps for the 105 and 108's.The N-140 loads with the 95B's were really fast for such a small case at 3012 fps with no primer flow.The 105's were 2906 fps and 108's were at 2890 fps.All the 5 shot groups were about the same at 1.5 inches vertical and 2 inches wide.Not bad considering the conditions because my make shift shooting bench and bullets were being blown in the wind as I fired.Again zero malfunctions.

Even though it was windy I decided to shoot all the rest of my unformed brass and thought it would be a good exercise in wind estimation.First I went to 400yards shooting at an 8 inch steel plate painted white so I could see the strikes.I quickly discovered that this was little challenge even in these wind conditions.Vertical was in the 3 inch range
So I set up at 600yards and was still able to hit the plate more than half the time.After hitting the plate the first time the next two shots were almost touching the first for what must of been a 2 inch group!But my group eventually disappeared as the plate had Prob 25 hits on it.Zero malfunctions at 136 rounds using both clips I bought.

Very happy with everything at this stage.

2/26/09,I went out this morning again in 15 MPH winds for further load development at 100 yards shooting 3 different loads using 108B's-R-15 powder at mag length and was disappointed with the results.I was shooting 10 shot groups and they were in the 1 inch range with most of the shots at .75 inch.I'll have to try again at different depths later but it seems that the gun doesn't like them.

Next I tried 2 loads with 105JLK's-R-15 and put 8 shots into .372inch ctc with 2 shots opening up the group to .9 inch with one of the loads.I'll take the blame for the flyers.The gun loved these and I think since I have a bunch of these bullets I will work a little more with them.Average velocity was 2871fps SD was 6.08.I tried one 5 shot group loaded hot with 95B's and got 3076 fps average,SD in the 8's and they went into .8inch ctc.That's the group to the left.Zero malfunctions still.

2/28/09

Myself and 3 other friends went out to shoot long range from 200 to 1000 yards in 100 yard increments at steel in size from 1.5 to 1.8 MOA.Winds were 5-10mph from 30'clock.One friend had a 6.5 Grendel and the other two friends had 223's and 308's.I used the new Berger Bullets BC listed on their site .532 for their 105's in my HV ATRAG ballistic program and was delighted to see that it was pretty much right on for all the distances, +/- a few inches.I noticed the advantage of the extra BC,velocity and accuracy of the 6mmART40 right away because it became delightfully apparent the further out in distance we shot compared to the other rifles and calibers.Suffice it to say that it was easy to hit all the targets for me and very hard past 600 yards for my two friends with their 308's and hard for my friend with his 6.5G past 800 yards.Although to be fair my 3 friends don't have near the long range experience I do,so it mutes a true comparison.I did have one malfunction though,traced to one particularly long nose of one bullet that was lodged in the magazine.I brought along my 6x47L benchrest rifle for comparison.115B's at 3050 fps and I could not discern the difference in wind drift compared to the 6mmART40.I know the 6x47L has superior ballistics but I think more wind would be required to see it.I couldn't be more pleased and am very impressed with the whole system.

The carbine upper is my 15 inch 223 Rem. Armalite
DSC00120.jpg
DSC00121.jpg
DSC00122.jpg
Cartridge on left is a 223Rem on right is a fireformed 6mmAR Turbo 40 degree shoulder.Length is 2.290 inch
DSC00124.jpg
DSC00125.jpg

To be continued.

Steve

Re: 6mmAR Turbo first report

Steve,

I'm eager to hear more. I have been looking at these uppers for sometime now. How long did it take to get the upper into your hands?

STS

Pics of the rifle in question and maybe some of the ammo is needed
smile.gif
I'd like a 6mmAR case next to a 223 case too.

Hi Jason,

I'm bedding the upper and lower right now and there's masking tape all over it but I'll get some pics up tomorrow of both.

Steve

Wow! That is pretty quick. I have been swinging back and forth between the 6mmAR and one of DTECH's 25 wssm's. I'd like to see those photos too.

steve123

Congrats on the Turbo. I received my upper in 6mmAR from Mr. Whitley Monday; it has a 26" Hart and the side charging heavy wall DPMS upper as well. The fit and machining as you said is VERY nice, Whitley does great work! I also received mine in under a month.

I'm interested in the velocities you will have with the Turbo. When I get mine dialed I'll post some info on it. Good luck on the load development. Also, could you share a little info on how you're bedding the upper? I've never bedded an AR before...

STS

After receiving my upper and my dealings with Robert it is an easy decision to make. 6mmAR all the way!

Thanks for the report (we will let you slide on the pics for a day or two)
grin.gif

Steve, do you have the Turbo or the Turbo 40?

Lastly, how does one "bed" and upper and lower? I learn something new here everyday!

Thanks

Edit: never mind, we have done this before... you have the 40 unless you changed your order LOL.

468shot,

I've got the 6mm ART 40 degree shoulder.

The only thing I can add is that this Armalite lower is normally dedicated to it's original Armalite upper so I put the release agent on it so the Brownells Steel Bed is stuck to the new Turbo upper in stead.That way I can use it for both guns.The only thing I prob did different is I got lazy and only bedded the front and back areas of the receiver by the pins.

Do a range report for yours also please.Congrats on your new upper!

Steve

Steve,

I will do a range report once I get it rolling; I'm stilling waiting on a few key parts (stock and scope) that should be here next week. Great idea on bedding the upper instead of the lower, I was hesitant to commit a lower to just one upper. Thanks!

Thx for the most impressive real world dissertation
Well done

Steve, I'm thinking about getting one of these uppers. How does this setup compare to what you shot @ the Tacticsprc match? I think you were shooting a MC ar platform bolt gun right? Can this be used for tactical matches?

Kyle

Hey Kyle,

I just went out earlier today and fireformed some more brass.I'm still very pleased!Only the one jam as described in my earlier post.I'm around 400 rounds now.Hitting a 10 inch plate at 600 yards was no prob even fireforming.My friend out shot me with my own gun though.haha!He got five for five with the 6mm AR turbo40.

Yes,the rifle I was shooting at the Tactics match was a 6x47L MAK tube gun built around an everything that could be done,was,Rem 700 bolt action.It is more accurate that the Turbo but not by much.

Yes,also on the 6mmAR Turbo40.I bought it for shooting in Tactical matches.In certain stages it could be quite an advantage.I plan on using it next month in LVshooters match and at Scott's next monthly match.

Steve

I'm ordering a CSS rear stock with the bag rider attachment,http://www.competitionshootingstuff.com/for the 6mmART40.I'm looking forward to this because I'm sure the gun will track in the bags much better and I can see how well the gun can really shoot then.Plus it's cool looking!I'll put some more pics up when it comes in.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Kyle,

I just went out earlier today and fireformed some more brass.I'm still very pleased!Only the one jam as described in my earlier post.I'm around 400 rounds now.Hitting a 10 inch plate at 600 yards was no prob even fireforming.My friend out shot me with my own gun though.haha!He got five for five with the 6mm AR turbo40.

Yes,the rifle I was shooting at the Tactics match was a 6x47L MAK tube gun built around an everything that could be done,was,Rem 700 bolt action.It is more accurate that the Turbo but not by much.

Yes,also on the 6mmAR Turbo40.I bought it for shooting in Tactical matches.In certain stages it could be quite an advantage.I plan on using it next month in LVshooters match and at Scott's next monthly match.

Steve
</div></div>

Very cool Steve,

Yeah i'm ordering one today. This setup seems to be the right type of platform/gas gun to compete in tactical matches. As long as it doesnt jam... i'll be happy. Reliable .5 MOA performance from a gas gun thats lightweight is great. Looking forward to hearing more about your findings.

Kyle,

I'm sure you will be happy doing business with Robert and the performance of the upper as well.Please let us know what you think.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kyle,

I'm sure you will be happy doing business with Robert and the performance of the upper as well.Please let us know what you think.

Steve</div></div>

Absolutely, Had a great convo with Robert today when I ordered everything. I decided on the Kreiger barrel 24" with the billet receiver. I know I should go with the 26" but he said the FPS drop from 26-24 was minimal so I decided to go the "tactical" length. I just hope its reliable during matches.

Have you done any magazine mods, all I can get reliably is 2.26" OAL to work in my mags, you mention 2.29".

Thanks,
Brad

Brad,

I have two mags.(NO mods)The 15 round mag is a little longer on the inside compared to the 10 round mag.I discovered the jam was because they were a little too long at 2.9.I was still trying to find what worked best.I'm loading at 2.285 now and have had no jams since.

Steve

steve123,

Thanks for the report! Lots of great info., it has left me wandering if I should have gone with the turbo vs. the standard 6mmAR. I've been extremely busy, but began the barrel break in yesterday. As soon as I have a little more time and different powders I will post a report for a comparison on velocities, etc. So far my first(only) five shot group with 28.5g of RL-15 was .38" @ 100yds.

I.D.F.A.,

Great decision on the upper. I haven't used mine much but I love it thus far! Robert's a great guy to do business with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 468shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">steve123,

Thanks for the report! Lots of great info., it has left me wandering if I should have gone with the turbo vs. the standard 6mmAR. I've been extremely busy, but began the barrel break in yesterday. As soon as I have a little more time and different powders I will post a report for a comparison on velocities, etc. So far my first(only) five shot group with 28.5g of RL-15 was .38" @ 100yds.

I.D.F.A.,

Great decision on the upper. I haven't used mine much but I love it thus far! Robert's a great guy to do business with. </div></div>

My Upper shipped today! One week from the day I ordered it and Robert test fired it Thursday shipped it out Friday. I'll be posting a range report as soon as I can. All I can say is the magazines are the highest quality AR style mags I've ever seen.

Kyle

WOW!One week?

Kyle,That's almost like being in a time warp and having Christmas come early.haha

I don't think you will be dissapointed with the reg 6mmAR.I haven't had any complaints fireforming at the 2750fps range on steel.That .3 five shot group will probably be a common occurrence,I bet.

I'm thinking about trying the AA2520 because I've noticed that is much more available than the more common powders.

Looking forward to your impressions guys.

Steve

IDFA and 468shot....Any news?Has anybody else bought one of these uppers?

Midway didn't send the AA2520 so I'm still using 30.3gr R-15.

No emails about the rear stock yet either.

I went out with the Turbo and shot once more since last post.If anything it seems to be more accurate at LR.At 600Y I fired 3 shots into 3 inches then let my friend fire two more and the whole group was 5 inches.Splats were touching or almost touching at the closer distances,300,400,500Y.

Steve

Hey Steve,

I recieved my upper and was VERY happy with the accuracy results from the "un fireformed loads running the 107 SMK. I've been having lots of trouble getting the accuracy out of the fire formed loads due to the overall length of the magazine VS the actual ogive length then factoring in the shoulder bump. I actually brought the upper out to a tactical match in PA last sunday and it functioned flawlessly in the rain and mud! I was shooting un-fire formed loads because I still cant find a good load with the fireformed brass. I've been only using Varget so I think thats my problem. I just got N540 so that should work well.

Overall I'm very impressed with the upper... I know damn well it has the ability to shoot very well.... I just need more than 1 week to develop a load lol. My performance of the match wasn't that great because my un fire formed loads were in the 2500fps range.

photo-65.jpg

Yep,you'll get the load worked out.Good looking gun too.Tacticool!

I read an article over at 6br.com about loading VLD's way out of the lands 40-60 thou and getting just as good accuracy as a 10 thou jam.I had stopped load development but might commence at shorter AOL.
I got one more jam for the same reason as before,the cartridge was stuck in the mag.I measured it at 2.294 so I measured some in the other box and they were long also so I checked the seating die.Sure enough,it had unscrewed.I set it tighter against the rubber washer this time with an AOL of 2.280.I'll have to play with the seating depth again and find another accuracy node if it doesn't like this length.

Let me know what velocities you get with N-540 and the fireformed brass.I bet you will exceed 2900fps.

I read some of your blogs in your website.I like your 338L and Sako.

I used to go to track days with my Susuki GSXR 1000 until I went over the handle bars at 150-160 mph.I had a weird brake malfunction,no front brakes at 185mph then with the brake fully depressed they came back full force and I rag dolled for a hundred yards.OUCH.

Steve

Steve,
I guess we're all in trouble next monthly match down here, with your new toy and all.

Seriously, if you guys come down in april for the monthly, can you bring the upper so i can see it. I'm thinking about doing one too, i need a new mid range toy, something that gets a little better ballistics than the Grendel.
Scott

Hi Scott!

Yes,I will try and make it to the next match and I'll bring the new toy.I'm trying to juggle which matches to go to and hit good weather.I hate wind LOL,Field Target air rifle,LV shooters match,Sportmans rifle match in Raton and yours ofcourse.All while trying to stay in wifey's good graces,haha.So many good matches,so little time.

What date is your match this month?

Steve

Steve,

Haha yeah it is kinda "Tacticool"... lol

Yeah i've heard about the VLD's running accurately 40-60 out of the lands. I'm going to try it. This rifle is made to run out of the magazine. I'm not even going to bother developing loads for single feeding. Yeah I hope the N540 works... it looks like a good all around 6mmAR turbo powder.

Thanks, yeah i've played with some cool toys... the new one is a brand new Sako TRG that i sent directly to GAP to be chambered in .243... that thing is going to scream! I'm hoping that the new .243 Sako will be my precision match rig and the 6mmAR will be for the mid range matches that require more speed than precision... between the two I think i'll be happy.

Thats really cool you did tack days on your GSXR.... We share the track with the "knee draggers" sometimes and we all think you guys are crazy! At least 2 choppers need to be called in each day for dudes going down. I'll go 180 all day long in my race car but you wont catch me on a bike! That sucks you went down like that... any injuries?

Haha,I got old,I'm not so crazy anymore and that day sure was expensive too.NO more track days for me.I do have to admit that until that accident I was having the most fun I'd ever had on that bike.Nothing like going around the corner before the strait,knee dragging at 45mph then accelerating to 185mph in 3-4 seconds then braking down hard from 185mph to a 90mph sweeper.I miss it!Damn it!

I'm all healed up now.I broke my right hand,got a concussion and the asphalt wore through my leathers down to the bone on my left elbow.But all the important stuff still works OK and trigger finger didn't get injured so I'm GTG.LOL

Good choice on the 243win for the Sako.Yeah you got all the bases covered now!I Forgot to mention this earlier.It's amazing how low the recoil impulse is on the 6mmART40 in an AR-15 platform huh?Not much more than 223.

Steve

Guy's I received the AA 2520 powder and went out just to find max load to know where to stop at for a future ladder test when the wind dies.

I stopped at 31 grains/AA-2520/105JLK's in the fireformed 6mmART40.Started to get primer flow and velocity was 2925 fps average for 3 shots.The highest was 2953fps.This is a double based ball powder.With R-15 which is an extruded granule type powder I usually throw a lighter charge from the powder measure and then weigh on the balance beam because of occasional .4gr variance high and low with just throwing a charge.So as a test I weighed 25 charges from the powder measure with the AA-2520 and had almost indistinguishable variance.So for the first time in years(except pistol) I'm not going to have to weigh on the scale.Yaaaay!!!

Gary Eliseo is shipping off the rear stock next week so I'll get some pics up when it comes in.

Steve

Here's Gary Eliseo's rear stock on the 6mmART40.

The rifle was front heavy before but balances perfect now and I have it adjusted to fit me perfectly.
DSC00147.jpg
DSC00145.jpg
DSC00144.jpg

Steve

Steve,

How do you like that scope? <span style="text-decoration: line-through">What length barrel is that </span> (oops, just re-read your original post) and how do non-fire formed brass compare to fire formed brass accuracy wise?

Also, do you have any pictures of your reloading and fireforming process?

Thanks!

Hi Ranger1183,

The scope is great.My only complaint is that I like scopes with more power.There's this one tactical match stage that has those tiny 1inch x1.5 inch playing cards.I cant make em out with this scope but i can with my 8-26 Predator but the predator is not illuminated.I bought this Falcon because it has the illuminated reticule for night shoots.Can't afford a $3000 + USO with Horus RT so I'm stuck for now.

The un fireformed load shoots less than 1 MOA.No 10inch plate is safe at 600 yards.

Here's a 6.5 Grendel on left,sized 6mmART in the middle using the shim with false shoulder and on right 6mmART40 fireformed.Shined em for ya.
DSC00165.jpg

Robert sends you these shims which gives a slight crush fit in the chamber for a good fireform on the first firing.
DSC00163.jpg

Easy as can be.After that first fireing just set up your headspace and load like normal.

Steve

Thanks Steve!

Once the brass is fireformed to 6mmAR Turbo 40° Improved, do you have to full length resize after each firing? I know some gas guns have chambers that require full length resizing.

BTW, what power is that scope?

Ranger1183,

I full length size because Robert has these Hornady custom dies cut to minimum sizing specs for a semi auto and also there is only the Alexander Arms or Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass which is the exact same.So the dies and chamber are cut for Lapua brass.
That's what the Benchrest shooters do with their 6PPC's.They order custom full length dies ground to fit the chambers in their gun for minimum sizing.This is half the reason I bought from Robert.He has everything all figured out for us already.

The scope is the Horus Vision Falcon 4-16x50

Steve

Re: 6mmAR Turbo 40D+ more

I have a bunch of 6mm 115 DTACs sitting around collecting dust so for the fun of it I did a ladder test at 315 yards with the 6mmART40.

Bad news is that I was hoping for 2750fps but started to get primer flow at 2700fps so I stopped there.
Good news is that during the ladder test 3 consecutive rounds 29,29.2,29.4 grains of AA2520 tightened up into .3 inch at 315 yards.

I'm almost out of JLK 105's and am thinking of trying to work with 95 Berger VLD's because I'm able to get 3050fps easily.

Also I've been tempted to build a 22 ART40.Except I might have to order my own reamer.Imagine a 22cal 90grain Berger VLD with .551BC at 3100fps.That would be the same exact ballistics as my 6x47L shoots with 115 gr Burgers!All in a AR-15 platform.

Steve

Great read.. so what is your most accurate load with high velocity? Have you ran the math on long range energy numbers?

The minds in the Army call 500 ft.lb. energy the maximum effective range of a small arms system .So to what yardage does it still have the 500?

Sierra tech's recommend 600-700 # for whitetail...

Bingo...

I have been thinking of a "22 ART40" for quite some time. You get the sexy ballistics, with far cheaper cost per bullet, and are only giving up a little down range energy.

There is a guy on 6mmbr.com who built what is essentially just a "22 grendal" he said he got 3200 fps with 80 vld's, but it was punishing brass at those pressures....

Hi TresMon,

Concerning the 22ART40

I plugged the numbers into JBM and the energy for 500Y turns out to be 1031 ftlbs.
Whether the bullet would expand enough for hunting is probably the big question.Upon my readings I've noticed that the regular Berger bullets with the thin jackets sometimes blow up when shot at higher velocities.But those thinner jacket Bergers would be the best for hunting.So you got a catch 22 going on there.
I don't plan on using it for hunting and will be using the new thick jacket bullets,they are labeled(target)on the box and will probably not disintegrate mid air.But like you said the bullets are cheaper and there will be less recoil too compared to the 105-6mm.I'm just wondering what kind of barrel life there would be.
The 40 degree turbo case holds about 3 grains more powder compared to the regular Grendel case.So reaching 3200 fps with an 80 grainer would be a piece of cake.

Concerning the 6mmART40

I have been shooting the 30.3 grains of R-15 behind the 105JLK's at 2890 fps.I'm reasonably sure that if my gun were shot in a machine rest that with this load it would consistently shoot .4 inch groups.Just like that pic of the group above in the earlier post.It's my inability to shoot consistent which makes for a flyer or two here and there.For me it's much harder to shoot the gas guns compared to the bolt guns.Keep in mind also that I have done zero brass prep to these cases.Also there are 3 different lots of brass that are mixed together and some have been fired 5 times some up to 9 times.

Steve