• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mmBR hard chambering problem

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
So I have an issue that I have never dealt with before.

I have a winchester m70 push feed with in 6BR with a no-turn neck. New factory lapua brass loads up and runs great, even after it is reloaded a few times.

Over the years I scored a few auction lots of older once fired lapua brass and I've been struggling with these. They run through the FL sizing die just fine, but they will not chamber as easy as my new lapua brass. The bolt seats hard and if I try to close the bolt, the extractor cuts a burr into the rim.

I tried to run a control with a freshly resized case with no bullet (incase that was seated too long), but even after FL sizing of the old brass and seating it empty, I am still getting hard seating and a burr.

I trimmed them to 1.560, which is were my new factory brass that I have fired once is at. My new brass seats just fine. However, the older brass still seats hard and gives me a nasty burr on the rim, even when trimmed.

Rim thickness of the newer brass is .052 and for the older brass is .051

I am honestly at a loss on why this older brass will not chamber.

What are the base and shoulder diameters?
You ran them through a die but what did your measurements say happened?

I had this trouble on my 6bra turns out I had to trim a bit off the bottom of my die to get it to size near the base. I’m not saying that’s your problem but you should take measurements all the way down the case body to see what’s holding you up. Good luck. Also I’m selling a Redding 6br type s die if you need to borrow it to see if the problem can be solved with another sizing die I’d be happy to loan it out before I post it up. Just dm me