• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mmbr

goldy1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2007
henderson, ky
Since i'm at work I cant get on 6mmbe.com so i thought i would ask this here. i'm loading 105gn a-max's over 30gn varget with cci primers in my savage 6br. I was just wondering how much jam i should use, and what other loads you might have used with the 105 amax's. i tried light, medium, and heavy and they all shot about the same within 1/2 inch. between 1" and 1.5" at 300yards for 5 shot groups. then i tried the med in the last match and it wasnt that great. just about moa at 300 was all i got out of 3 15 shot groups, but that could have been me rushing the shots some too. i ordered 400 more amax's because it seems my rifle like em more than the berger vlds, (only got about 2.5" at 300) so i tried somthing else.

Re: 6mmbr

there are 2 thoughts on this one jam one jump.
I have a 6 br kreiger barrel using 95' bergers set it to jusp .020 then .010 then jam .010 then jam .020 my rifle likes the jam better
next I will do a ladder test but they take some time to get done better to have someone with you to mark the paper.

Do like Bill said and try the Bergers at different seating depths. I started out using the AMax's to begin with but after going back and playing with seating depth with the 95 Bergers I found a load that my rifle really likes. My barrel actually likes about .030" jump. A 6BR that's put together right ought to shoot just about anything at a half MOA in good conditions.

David

i'm hoping to find a decent load for it this weekend for a 600yd match coming up in october, then for the match up at twentynine palms in nov. i have to send my new rifle chambered in 6mmbrx back to the smith to have the chamber fixed so i can shoot it. i just dont know when i'll get it back. i'll do a ladder test saterday with the different jams and see how it does then. i king of have to use the amax's for now since i have so many. i'll save the bergers i have left to fireform the brx when i get it back.

Overall I prefer Bergers as well. Not to say that the amax's are bad. I jumped them .10" in my 6br. 30gr of Varget seems a little low. My gun shoots better the hotter I run it. I load 31.7gr of Varget behind a 105vld that is 0.12" into the lands. I reached the point of diminishing returns on velocity so I stopped there.

well, I tried a few different things on saterday it was over 100 degrees out there. one thing i realized i forgot to mention is that this is from a factory savage f-class 6br. i tried 30gn varget behind a couple different seating depths. i did the ladder test and shot at 200 with 3rds of each (had to zero after i replaced scope). well it didnt help much i did the round robin thing shooting one short one long like that through the 6. 4 of the 6 went into a group less than 1/2 inch and the other two (one of each length) opened it up to right at 1" so i gues its not too bad either way. i did try 30.5 varget but got cratered primers pretty good, the group wasnt bad at 1" at 200. this upcoming saterday i'll try more at 300 and see what happens. i'm hoping for groups like last time but this time i'll shoot 10 shot groups just to see how it does.