• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mmx45 using 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tip IN PLACE OF 95 Hornday SST

HairyDemon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2013
San Antonio, TX
So I bought a 6mmx45 upper off of a good friend of mine and he gave me a pretty fantastic load for the upper using 95 gr SST's but I cant find them anywhere. I went by cabelas and picked up a box of 50 of Nosler 95gr Ballistic Tip hunting rounds. Wanted to try them out but I don't really have a 95SSt to compare them to and if they are longer I don't want to risk it. Anyone have a comparison on the bullets?

Here is the data:
18in black hole Weaponry barrel 1:9 twist
95gr Hornaday SST
24.5 gr H335
Small Rifle Magnum primer
COAL 2.257
Brass never specified.

Wanted to run similar load, anyone familiar with these 2 bullets and could give me some feedback.

Here is the info on midway for the Nosler 95gr BT's I have.
Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting Bullets 243 Cal 6mm (243 Diameter) 95

Thanks--
Demon

If you have your working oal, go to hornady and get their suggested oal and compare. You could measure the two dummies for ojive length as well. That should be enough info.

If you have your working oal, go to hornady and get their suggested oal and compare. You could measure the two dummies for ojive length as well. That should be enough info.

hard to find a suggested OAL from hornady for a Wildcat cartridge like 6mmx45. If it was .243 win I might have a chance. Hornady doesn't even list bullet OAL.

If you have your working oal, you can still measure the ojive length and transfer that length to your new bullet load. With no other data.
ETA; The SST has a canalure. VMax does not. Pertinent gas gun stuff.

Last edited:
Judging from my experience with the 95gr NBT in the 6MMTCU I say reduce the load by 1.5gr and work it back up. That should be plenty safe. These two bullets are similar enough that should work safely. Just looking at actual pictures I will say I am pretty sure the NBT is a BIT longer, due to its internal structure. The NBT is a tapered jacket whereas teh SST does not appear to be. The NBT was developed on the old Solid Base design. I really wish Nosler would bring those back. Personally I would use the 85gr NBT if I had a 6x45. If they still make them. The 85 Nosler solid base was THE best hunting bullet I ever used in my 243 and 6mmTCU. Though I did kill a few deer with the 95gr NBT in the 6TCU.

ETA;
I see you do not have all the load data that I thought, having read you have a good load.
Sorry.
Hornady still will be able to provide data. You do not have one round left?