• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x or 10x

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    I hope this subject hasn't been stomped in the ground but....I just bought a savage tactical 22lr, and am shopping for glass.
    I've been looking at a fixed power Super Sniper scope because of the value, just wondering if id get more performance from a 10 power over the 6 power.
    Or maybe you could suggest something in that price range that will work out better for the rimfire platform.
    Thanks for your time!
    Phillip

Re: 6x or 10x

Phillip,
    I have owned SS 10x scopes and liked them but I would recommend the Vortex Viper scopes that a vendor is selling in the commercial sale section. 4-12x40 or 6.5-20x44 or 6.5-20x50. $249- $279 (delivered- I think). If you want mildot it will cost about $100 more. I had a 6.5-20x50 on my 22 and really liked it. I just ordered a 6.5-20x44 with the duplex reticle- they have another name for this reticle. Parallax is 50 yd min but have used it at 25 yds and did just fine. I shoot alot of 3/4" dots at 100 and like more than 10x. Second focal plane but I don't see that as a handicap on a 22.

david

I'm really close to ordering a 6X SS my dedicated .22 AR upper. I'm torn between that and the Mueller APT 4.5-14X40. I have the Mueller on a CZ 452 and its great value. It would be my first recommendation for a tactical rimfire in terms of best value.

Hi Philip-

I have owned the 10x for a long time. It is an excellent scope, which delivers very good value for the money as a fixed 10x scope. I bought it when I was not really able to judge what I truly needed, due to lack of knowledge and skill. I am still not very skilled, but today I would not buy it, for the following reasons:
    - it has a very narrow field of view
    - it is large and heavy
    - I like to buy multipurpose items, and this cannot be used either hunting or in tactical situations due to the characteristics above - it is solely for the range I think.

I do not own the 6x, but, based on the specs, it is the same weight and bulk, and the field of view is also limited, although less so (20 ft @ 100 yards). Between the 2, I would definitely choose the 10x if it is to be used for the range only, because the 10x is quite good and there is nothing to be gained by going to 6x.

However, I would not pick the SS overall. Like skatz11, I believe that Mueller scopes provide better scopes for the money. Their 3-9x44mm TACII goes for the same $$ ($300 or less), and provides a excellent variable scope that can also be used for hunting or in tactical situations, with a lower weight and bulk (about 15 oz), excellent warranty, and the same drawbacks (mildot vs MOA adjustments, no lighted reticle, no FFP). Chuck Hawks reviewed it very well, and Mueller has excellent user reviews. The size of this scope makes it more usable in the field. If you are ready to sacrifice size for larger magnification, you can look at their 4-16x50 illuminated reticle tactical scope, which weighs 20 oz, reviewed by snipercentral, for about $250. For me, I cannot really use 16x in the field... I would rather have the low weight and bulk.

If, rather than looking for versatility in the field, you are more interested in versatility on the range, I would look at their 8.5-25x50 Eraticator, with an illuminated reticle, selling for about $250, also in your price range. The physical characteristics of it are very similar to the 10x SS, with a weight of about 20 oz. I don't own it but from the reviews I have read it is quite usable all the way through 25x, with good clarity. Chuck Hawks had a good review of it too. I have a hard time dealing with a variable scope which starts at 8.5x due to the limited field of view, but it is no worse than the 10x SS:)

That said, the SS scopes are good scopes, and, were you to select one of them, I don't think you would regret it. Every person's needs are slightly different:) Good luck on your purchase!

Btw - I am not in any way associated with Mueller. I simply think they provide very good value for the money, with good quality products. Whenever I can when I look for multipurpose scopes, I use Leupold - in fact almost all my scopes are Leupold - but they cost 2x the price or more:)