• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x284 benchrest rifle chamber ?

Ammo dog 2311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2012
New york
Hi all, I bought a benchrest rifle from my gun shop. It has 6x284 marked on the barrel. I could not get much history on the rifle. My question is, how can I tell what it's chambered for ? I really want to shoot it but I don't reload. I was hoping I could get some ammo made for it if I could find out what ammo it takes. Should I bring it to a gunsmith ? I am new to the 6mm field so I have no experience in this caliber. Any suggestions would help. Thanks . Semper if !

Re: 6x284 benchrest rifle chamber ?

Sounds like a .284 necked down to 6mm(6.5-284 Norma necked to 6mm). You're not going to buy ammo for it. Additionally, you'll find barrels don't last long for the 6-284 (6.5-284 Norma necked to 6mm).

You'll have to use 6.5-284 brass, neck it down to 6mm and load your own.

It never hurts to have a smith inspect it and hopefully even get a copy of the chamber dimensions. Personally, if it were my rifle, I'd have the smith check out the barrel and see if it has life in it. If so, I'd get it set-back and re-chambered for something like 6mm BR or .243.

Your first concern is the neck diameter of the chamber. You need to find a smith who can remove the barrel and use a small hole gage to measure the neck. Then you can make decisions on the ammo.

Things to ask:
Is it a tight-neck chamber?
What twist is the barrel?
Is the barrel still in good shape?
Is this caliber worth investing in brass (Lapua brass = expensive) and dies?
BTW, what action is it built on and what stock does it have?

It's built on a Mauser action. Bolt is jeweled with only a little wear. Can't see much on the riffling. I looked down the muzzle but can't see much. The trigger is very light and looks adjustable. The stock is a laminated design I have never seen before. I will post a pic for you guys soon. It's very heavy and huge in design. I figured I could have someone change the barrel if needed. The whole rifle in general looks in good shape. Since I don't reload yet I was hoping I could have a company make ammo for me once I get the caliber and chamber specs till I get reloading equipment and learn how do it. Not real worried about cost of brass yet. I have money saved for just this problem.
Since I have to bring it to a smith maybe a should invest in a barrel. I live just north of NYC about 20 miles. Any suggestions on a very good gun smith. What barrel company do you suggest. What length and twist rate? It's got a 22" on it now and measures 1 1/4" in diameter. Should I stick with the 6mm because of the bolt size ? Is 6mm still champ ?
If I can get into benchrest shooting I would atlest like to have a chance to compete without having the other shooters cracking jokes about a rookie and his unqualified pee shooter. I would like to have atlest some kind of chance of a good score. Any and all info from you guys is well appreciated.
My back-up plan is to call in a air strike on my competitors targets and leave mine standing. Can't loose that way right !!! Thanks for your time. Semper fi

I built one of these a few years ago on a remy action. It IS a barrel burner. If you don't reload then you might as well start over with another rifle.

As far as being made fun of or holding your ground, your SOL there. The only thing that will help that is trigger time on the stick. If your looking to compete sell the 6x284 and get a savage F-class or one of the savage or rem 308 models.

Basically if you don't reload or are new to reloading the 6x284 isn't for you. You can have the barrel taken off and another barrel installed pretty easily but for the money your going to spend on this you might as well ditch the Mauser action/stock and go with Remy or Savage.

Thanks, I have many weapons so it's not a problem for me. I have a 110-ba, 12-f/tr so on and so forth. I own a construction company, not sure if i can post the name here. Not worried about cost. Not that money is endless but if I told you how much I spent on guns last year you would call me a lire. This is a project for me. When I want something I go get it no matter what it takes. The info and input by people with experience is what I can't buy.

If you need money I say go out and do something to get paid. I am 45 years old and I just did a roof by myself, 2 layer rip with full plywood and insulation. I will do what it takes to get paid regardless of pain or misery. Guess that's the jar head in me.

If I could get the right info I will put it to good use trust me on that. I have competed before but that was in the wester div matches back in the 90's. I want to compete again. Just kidding about bein laughed at, people don't pick on me. Thanks again....Semper fi

you are most likely going to need a neck turning tool and reloading setup for this. This caliber is a screamer...... I think I was pushing a 55gr somewhere near 4000fps (sub MOA). I am not home or could dig up the numbers for you. I stopped in the 85-95gr weight (right at MOA) area for hunting bullets, shot a deer with it and haven't shot it since. It was a wild hair, I itched it and moved on.
smile.gif

Figure out the barrel twist and get a chamber cast made or use Dave's method.

Thanks, would like the date when you can. Looks like I am buying reloading equipment and learning how to do it. Not lookin forward to buying more tools.

Should be home for Summer vacation I suppose. Late May early june.