• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x45 6mm/223 AR Upper

landtoy80

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have some interest in building or buying a 6x45 upper for my AR. I know there are a bunch of other 6mm options for the are but like the idea that brass is cheap/free from range and easy to resize.
Before I order one, is there another 6mm AR upper options that brass is cheap and sizing/resizing is fast and easy and doesn't require special mags? Looking for low recoil and easy loading. Had a 204 Ruger AR but sold it, like the idea the 6x45 can but used for deer and small game.
Les Baer sells a barrel that cost about the same as a complete upper from some vendors. Not sure how much $$$ I need to spend to get a good shooting 6x45???

My next build will be a 264 LBC-AR or 6.5 Grendel.

Re: 6x45 6mm/223 AR Upper

The .264 LBC-Ar and the 6.5 Grendel are pretty much the same thing besides the difference in the barrel throats and maybe a couple other minor things. Alexander Arms has the "Compound throat" which is very little throat but yet still very accurate and the 264 LBC does not.

You could shoot the 264 LBC ammo in the 6.5 Grendel and you could shoot the 6.5 Grendel ammo in the 264 LBC.

no real difference.

I would recommend my 6.2mm OCC but it's still in development.

dsc00781copy.jpg

(l-r)70gr Sierra MK,85gr HPBT,90gr FMJBT,Hornady 87gr HPBT,Berger 90gr MTBT,6.2mm OCC w/Sierra 90gr FMJBT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadduck357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whitley has another 6mm option and it's very accurate, 6mmAR - http://www.6mmar.com/ </div></div>
+1 This is what you want. Otherwise, go to a 6.5 Grendel.

Stick with things where the bugs have already been worked out...like the two above.

I have a 6x45 bolt gun and built a 6x45 setup for my dad's old A2 upper, it functions flawlessly, and with the right bullets you can get something that matches the drop/drift of a 308 pretty well.

That being said, it's a little on the light side for deer outside of 200y, the case capacity is a bit lacking IMO for a solid knock down round.

I get 2750 fps from 100gr BTSP Hornady's and a 27" barrel, the 20" barreled upper does more like 2550. Smaller deer to 200y is fine.

They are super nice to barrels, very cheap to shoot, lots of bullet options (50gr 6mm bullets SCREAM 3600+ from this case) and they're pretty forgiving on powder choices as well.

It feeds without a hiccup from standard AR15 mags, requires only a barrel swap to make a new upper, the rest of the parts are standard.

A clamp on gas block with a medium weight barrel would make a good coyote rifle.

I will admit, your idea seems interesting. I would like to see it go head to head with a 6.5 Grendel though. Please keep us informed.

i like the idea of a 6x45.wondered why the military did'nt play with it while looking at the 6.8.maybe they did,just did'nt hear about it.seems to make sense to me,better bullet selection on higher weights and better b.c on bullets compare to .223 and should be easier on barrels.

the 6x45 longs for more capacity than the 223 does, the 6x45 was evaluated a number of years ago and from what I remember reading, the general consensus was "in 1960 this would have been good data, but it's just not worth the money to switch all the tooling and current equipment now"

It has similar barrel life to a 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyDL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like the idea of a 6x45.wondered why the military did'nt play with it while looking at the 6.8.maybe they did,just did'nt hear about it.seems to make sense to me,better bullet selection on higher weights and better b.c on bullets compare to .223 and should be easier on barrels. </div></div>

It was a military experimental back in the late 60s, was determined to have no advantage over the 5.56.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kyshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will admit, your idea seems interesting. I would like to see it go head to head with a 6.5 Grendel though. Please keep us informed. </div></div>

If your referring to my 6.2mm the 6.5 Grendel or .265lbc will out perform it some. The 6.2mm OCC advantages over the 6.5G & .264lbc are higher magazine capacity and less weight.

The 6.2mm development has been handed over to David Tubb at Superior Shooting Systems and Silver State Armory for fine tuning. I have been informed that the 90gr projectiles are the way to go by David Tubb. I have a little pdf on the design of the 6.2mm OCC.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-4a7c0ddf.html

My apologizes to the OP, didn't mean to get off topic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which case is your wildcat based off of and what kind of velocities are you getting ?

Steve

</div></div>

Everything was in the pdf

<span style="font-style: italic">Lengthy post changed to PM so as not to muck up someone's thread.</span>