• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x45 Owners Chime in

dontstrokeme

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2007
Port Angeles, WA
Been toying of the idea of going into an AR platform for my 6x45 build instead of a bolt gun.....those of you that have built 6x45 or 6mm-223Rem AR's please chime in with pictures and build lists....along with what you would change.

My bolt gun build would rock a 16" Rem Varmint Contour fluted, and be a fast enough twist to shoot the 105-107 gr class .243 bullets. Probably a 2.5x10 MIL/MIL or a fixed 6x with MIL/MIL.

Looking for bolt gun accuracy out to 600-800 yards max, mainly more of a 500-600 yards round, but I know for a fact that the 223 can run 60gr Sierra HP's out to 825yards with accuracy and repeatability...so the 6x45 should do fine.

So yeah....pictures or remorse?

Re: 6x45 Owners Chime in

Joe,

I've never owned a 6x45 so I can't speak intelligently about it's performance but what catches my attention is the length of the .223 case, the length of the 105-107 bullets and the available length in an AR magazine. Seems like the bullet is going to stuffed WAY down in the case.

For lighter bullets like the 58-70 grainers it seems reasonable.

BTT

I know there are guys running the 6x45....let's hear from them...I really don't want to have to wade through the bullshit on AR15.com
sleep.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTT

I know there are guys running the 6x45....let's hear from them...I really don't want to have to wade through the bullshit on AR15.com
sleep.gif
</div></div>

I run one but you are going to have issues trying to run that heavy of bullet in an AR type weapon. The bullets are just too long and eat up too much case capacity to make it worth it. I run between 65 and 75 grain bullets for varmints and even with those bullets some of the loads are compressed for mag feed.

You want one to shoot heavy bullets get a bolt gun so you can seat them out. But if I wanted to shoot that heavy a bullet I would build a .243 that is better suited for it.

AR1.jpg

I run a 6-223 in a 28" bolt action throated for 100gr-105gr bullets. It's extremely accurate and does not have any recoil to speak of. It's severely lacking in case capacity, even loaded long with compressed loads for the 100gr bullets.

The 75 and 87 Vmax are excellent choices in it and with BLC-2 you can load max pressures under the 75's at mag length for an AR-15 platform.

I tried one years ago, it IMO just doesn't bring anything to the AR, it will never be a cheap as the 5.56, you can't use long high BC bullets like everyone else said unless you single feed. There isn't enough case capacity to push 95s if you do single feed. Bullets below 80gr ok they work.
Neck a 6.8 down to 6mm and cut the case to 41 or 42mm with 95s and it will do pretty well, just like a Grendel necked to 6mm or even better a 6BR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hopps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have any of you guys tried out 6.8 mags and seating to a longer oal? </div></div>

PRI 6.8 mags allow loading to 2.3 but, the larger radius of the feed lips spits 5.56 cases out the top. Call PRI and ask if their 5.56 mags allow the same length as the 6.8s. They should, I don't know why they would butt weld a 6.8 mag then lap and spot weld their 5.56s.