• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x47 back up to 6.5x47

jaybic

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2017
rochester mn
Hello, just curious if anyone has tried/done this successfully. I have a ton of 6x47(formerly 6.5x47) and I have just built my first 6.5x47 and was wondering if I can be necked back up to 6.5. I figured if I anneal it and lube it up and run it thru a 6.5x47 die with the expander ball in it, or perhaps better yet, run it thru a 6.5 expander mandrel it may be able to reuse some of my 6x47 brass for the 6.5. Thoughts on the matter?

thanks for your time,

Jamie

I don't know why that wouldn't work. In my mind its no different than when I bought 223 wssm brass and necked it up for my 243 wssm. I have also used 25-06 range brass that I found and necked it up for my 30-06 with no problems.

I have done it unintentionally as I have both and my brass gets mixed at times. No ill effects, and if freshly annealed prior to the operation it should be fairly simple and smooth.

You will get a thin neck if when you went from 6.5 to 6 and turned your neck. You can't put brass back on. That will probably result in short case life with split necks if you are putting a heavy charge.

David

necks have never been turned....so thats not an issue i guess....hadnt thought of that tho....thx...