• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x47 forming from new brass help

NorthWesterner

Staff Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA
I can’t seem to get my new brass to form without crushing about 2/3 of the cases.
Forester fl die
Lubed well with one shot
Expander is way down in the case

The formed 6.5x47 form super easy. Any help would be appreciated.

I have been forming 6x47L cases from 6.5 for a while now. Some say this isn't needed, but, I ended up buying a Redding 6x47L Body Die, & run my virgin cases through it first. Then I follow-up with the Forster FL sizing die. Since I started this, I've not had one messed up case! The Body die really doesn't touch the main body of the case, but, sizes the neck about half way. Then following up with the FL sizer finishes things off nicely!!!! Idaho-5R

Reactions: NorthWesterner
I have been forming 6x47L cases from 6.5 for a while now. Some say this isn't needed, but, I ended up buying a Redding 6x47L Body Die, & run my virgin cases through it first. Then I follow-up with the Forster FL sizing die. Since I started this, I've not had one messed up case! The Body die really doesn't touch the main body of the case, but, sizes the neck about half way. Then following up with the FL sizer finishes things off nicely!!!! Idaho-5R
Hmmm, interesting. Wonder if using a bushing that’s 1/2 the diameter difference would work too.

NorthWesterner, I'm not sure about the neck bushing die, as I've not used one. I'm fairly sure some others will chime in here with more advice......

You can't use a bushing die to form brass.
Bushings are only good for 0.005-0.007 worth of necking down before you will have problems.
A standard full length die without a decapping rod is the easiest way to go.
Unless you want to buy all the bushings needed at $20 a pop it is easier to buy or borrow a die.

You can't use a bushing die to form brass.
Bushings are only good for 0.005-0.007 worth of necking down before you will have problems.
A standard full length die without a decapping rod is the easiest way to go.
Unless you want to buy all the bushings needed at $20 a pop it is easier to buy or borrow a die.
I have a non bushing full length forester die I’m currently using. I even tried removing the expander button, still crushes cases. I’m at a loss.

Put a chamfer on the outside and go quickly on the ram stroke.
If your getting collapsed necks something is amiss with the neck shoulder junction in the die. And use imperial sizing die wax. Can you post a picture?

I too had case-crushing issues till I got the Body Die! Idaho-5R

Oh, Yes, I also use the Imperial Sizing Wax................. Sparingly

Forster has explicit instructions about where the expander ball needs to be located; failure to do so will result in crushed cases. I don't have the exact location off the top of my head but the expander ball needs to be in the vicinity of the vent hole of the die; see the link below.

Follow this link: Forster Sizing Die Instructions

Reactions: Idaho-5R
Do you have the full length die set to bump the shoulder?

If so it shouldn't be touching the shoulder at all. You should be stopping a bit short of the shoulder, you'll see a little ridge there just above the shoulder/neck junction.

I just necked down 400 pieces and only crushed my first piece because I screwed my die down to quick.

I doc
Do you have the full length die set to bump the shoulder?

If so it shouldn't be touching the shoulder at all. You should be stopping a bit short of the shoulder, you'll see a little ridge there just above the shoulder/neck junction.

I just necked down 400 pieces and only crushed my first piece because I screwed my die down to quick.
have it set up to bump shoulders. I could try backing it off a bit. I will run imperial wax as well. Both worth trying.

Put a chamfer on the outside and go quickly on the ram stroke.
If your getting collapsed necks something is amiss with the neck shoulder junction in the die. And use imperial sizing die wax. Can you post a picture?
Left is the only piece I got to not crush. Two on right are the same setup. No shoulder bump. Tried with and without expander. Once fired brass from my 6.5x47 forms very nice without crushing. I’m not happy about this.

Attachments

• 069B78E3-6A7C-47FA-9448-F7902903A849.jpeg
    069B78E3-6A7C-47FA-9448-F7902903A849.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 88
Back the die out further, maybe half way up the neck and see it you can neck the top half of the neck down without crushing.

If so then slowly lower the die till you can get it to chamber in your rifle.

Sucks it's giving you trouble, I just finished my fire forming yesterday and it was as care free as I could have hoped for. I feel like it's gonna be something stupid, hopefully you find it before you destroy anymore brass.

Back the die out further, maybe half way up the neck and see it you can neck the top half of the neck down without crushing.

If so then slowly lower the die till you can get it to chamber in your rifle.

Sucks it's giving you trouble, I just finished my fire forming yesterday and it was as care free as I could have hoped for. I feel like it's gonna be something stupid, hopefully you find it before you destroy anymore brass.
I don’t know. A few friends swear the Redding fl die is better for necking NEW brass. I don’t know though.

I used a Redding fl bushing die for my 6x47 L. I read somewhere on here about the risks of sizing down too much leading to concentricity issues. I used 2 bushings, first a bushing typical for .257 calibers (I can look at exactly which one if you want) then the final 6mm one currently in the die. Not one issue, didn’t lose a single case. Imperial sizing wax does really good on jobs like these.

Northwestern
It looks like that die is set way to deep.
Try sizing only half of the neck instead of the entire neck.

You need to size down enough of the neck so that it will one chamber and two hold the bullet but we’d like you to back the die off to size only half the neck so we can see if you still have crushing issues. If not you can slowly start turning the die back down till you get the brass to chamber.

Reactions: Lynn Jr
The problem with bushing dies is they don't have a big chamfer so if you try and do much sizing they will grab the edge of the neck and collapse it into the shoulder area like in your pictures.
Typical 6.5 brass runs 0.292 and typical 6mm brass runs 0.270 so your not sizing it done much to begin with maybe 0.022.
I would remove the entire decapping rod from the die. Then put a outside chamfer on the necks and lube them with imperial sizing die wax.
I would adjust the die so it doesn't do any sizing at all then lower it in baby steps until it sizes about half the neck .
Reapplying the sizing die wax each time you adjusted the die.
Relube the cases and run them through a second time doing 90% of the neck.
Load them and fireform them in the gun.
Put the decapping rod back in the die and full length size them and don't bump the shoulder yet unless the brass won't chamber easily.
I routinely take Lapua 30-06 brass and make it into 6mm-06 brass in a single pass.

Man, that would be frustrating and expensive!

OP, did you try to anneal before sizing, and over anneal???, that will cause this kind of problem.

You probably don't want to turn necks but this does help when sizing down. Just do a clean up on the neck, it will help some. I've been turning the necks on other cartridges like 300saum, when still 30 caliber, then neck down to 6.5 in steps to 6.5saum with a 7saum bushing die, never lost a case. You could turn the 6.5x47L cases and do the same as me.

I try to create a false shoulder so the bolt has a small bit of tension when it's being closed.

You need to size down enough of the neck so that it will one chamber and two hold the bullet but we’d like you to back the die off to size only half the neck so we can see if you still have crushing issues. If not you can slowly start turning the die back down till you get the brass to chamber.
So I can get about 1/2 the neck formed before the shoulder collapses. I doubt it will chamber. With once fired or several fired brass, no issues. Guessing the shoulder is just super soft on my brass. Pretty lame.

No you want to get half of the neck formed so you can do this as a two step approach
It isn’t working like that. It forms to 1/2. Any farther and it crushes even another 10%. So I tried as follows. Step one. Neck to 1/2. Step two, neck to 60%, step three. Become pissed I wasted yet another piece of brass trying to form with this die.

I know that, someone asked you before and I didn’t see if you answered them. It sounds to me like you have a soft bash of brass.

Maybe shoot it in your 6.5x47 to harden it then neck it down.

Reactions: NorthWesterner
Yeah that sucks man. I’d have been pretty pissed too if that happened to me.

I’ve never attempted to contact Lapua but do they have good customer service? It’s possible that they know they have a bad bash of brass out there.

Yeah that sucks man. I’d have been pretty pissed too if that happened to me.

I’ve never attempted to contact Lapua but do they have good customer service? It’s possible that they know they have a bad bash of brass out there.
Yeah I have contacted them before. They were very helpful. I doubt this is something they would cover, given its wildcatting. I could try but I don’t feel like it’s on them.

I'll remind you about the 6x47L Redding Body Die!!!!!!

Idaho-5R

If I am reading your posts correctly you can size half of the neck without any problems?
Is that correct?
Then when you go to size the other half of the neck the case collapses at the neck shoulder junction?
Is that correct?
Your only going down a very small amount and something doesn't sound right.

If I am reading your posts correctly you can size half of the neck without any problems?
Is that correct?
Then when you go to size the other half of the neck the case collapses at the neck shoulder junction?
Is that correct?
Your only going down a very small amount and something doesn't sound right.
Not sure what to tell ya. That’s what’s happening. I know a few others who have had the same issues with forester dies.

Have always used a body die to do the first initial neck sizing, a 6br body die at that. It gives me the best results presizing with the body die and then thru the Forster fl due.
This all to touch the neck only, have noticed there is a tiny bit of the old neck that will form into shoulder.

Have yet to toss a case after a lost count of necking down 6.5. Feel like Lynn is on to something tho...seems a bit off to go to such an extreme in so small increments with that kind of crush.

Have always used a body die to do the first initial neck sizing, a 6br body die at that. It gives me the best results presizing with the body die and then thru the Forster fl due.
This all to touch the neck only, have noticed there is a tiny bit of the old neck that will form into shoulder.

Have yet to toss a case after a lost count of necking down 6.5. Feel like Lynn is on to something tho...seems a bit off to go to such an extreme in so small increments with that kind of crush.
All of your help is very much appreciated. But this is (or should be) a simple operation. I have tried everything people have suggested with the exception of using a body die. I don’t understand how a body die would help this, given I’m trying to size the neck. But I digress. I guess I could try a Redding fl die or going down in two steps with a bushing die, those two options I haven’t tried, given I only have the forester dies. My logic tells me that if a once fired case forms perfectly, but a new one doesn’t, there must be something wrong with the new brass. The new bras even apears rounded compaired to end formed brass, that’s normal, but it feels soft too.

Okay just wanting to make sure we are on the same page.
Usually you see a collapse when a die is tightened down too much or the case is unsupported.
On a bushing die you can back the die off and screw down the micrometer top and collapse brass because it's not well supported.

As Idaho-5r said the Redding body die will have a loose neck fit and the die is cheap. This small step might be all you need.
I have collapsed my share of cases but I take much larger steps than you are doing.

Attachments

• IMG_20170612_205417974.jpg
    IMG_20170612_205417974.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20151002_171812.jpg
    IMG_20151002_171812.jpg
    799.3 KB · Views: 68
I hear ya man, very frustrating. It very well could be some uber soft brass.

The body die actually has an opening larger where the neck sizing portion of a regular sizing/neck die would be. This is to ensure that the body die does indeed only bump the shoulder/ body and not affect the neck in anyway. The dia is between the 6.5 and 6 so it will step down the sizing of the neck allowing the Forster die an easier pass on the brass.

Sorry couldnt help more, hope ya get it sorted out.

Okay just wanting to make sure we are on the same page.
Usually you see a collapse when a die is tightened down too much or the case is unsupported.
On a bushing die you can back the die off and screw down the micrometer top and collapse brass because it's not well supported.

As Idaho-5r said the Redding body die will have a loose neck fit and the die is cheap. This small step might be all you need.
I have collapsed my share of cases but I take much larger steps than you are doing.
Not sure what your referring to on the micrometer top. All my sizing dies wether they be bushing or non, don’t have any micrometer top. Only micrometer tops I have seen on dies are seating dies. How much support the case has is constrained by the geometry of the die, I cannot change that by moving the die up and down. That would simply change when the case engages the die with respect to stroke. The die don’t colapsing the brass from touching the shoulder, it’s doing so from applying force at the neck, and the shoulder cannot take the force of compressing the neck.

I hear ya man, very frustrating. It very well could be some uber soft brass.

The body die actually has an opening larger where the neck sizing portion of a regular sizing/neck die would be. This is to ensure that the body die does indeed only bump the shoulder/ body and not affect the neck in anyway. The dia is between the 6.5 and 6 so it will step down the sizing of the neck allowing the Forster die an easier pass on the brass.

Sorry couldnt help more, hope ya get it sorted out.
That makes sense now about the body die, I think necking down in two steps with a bushing will be my last ditch effort. At this point just firing in my 6.5 isn’t a huge deal, since it is still a match grade barrel.

Not sure what your referring to on the micrometer top. All my sizing dies wether they be bushing or non, don’t have any micrometer top. Only micrometer tops I have seen on dies are seating dies. How much support the case has is constrained by the geometry of the die, I cannot change that by moving the die up and down. That would simply change when the case engages the die with respect to stroke. The die don’t colapsing the brass from touching the shoulder, it’s doing so from applying force at the neck, and the shoulder cannot take the force of compressing the neck.

The Redding competition bushing dies have a micrometer top and you can adjust the die wrong and collapse the cases.
Try this as it's free and you have nothing to lose
Remove the entire top of your die so all you have left is a hollow die body. Give that a try.
And yes a body die has a larger than normal neck opening and if you want to give one a try let me know and I will mail you one.
Mine is also a 6 BR but it should work.

The Redding competition bushing dies have a micrometer top and you can adjust the die wrong and collapse the cases.
Try this as it's free and you have nothing to lose
Remove the entire top of your die so all you have left is a hollow die body. Give that a try.
And yes a body die has a larger than normal neck opening and if you want to give one a try let me know and I will mail you one.
Mine is also a 6 BR but it should work.
You must be referring to the Redding comp neck sizing dies. I don’t own any of those dies so I have no way to try them. I am going to try the two step method with a full length bushing die. Given I full length size anyhow this wouldn’t be a total loss on the firs themselves. I have no use for a seperate body and neck die other than this expirement.