• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x47 Lapua Brass Manufacturers?!?!

Bunny723

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2021
USA
is peterson the only company who makes 6x47 lapua brass? why doesn’t Lapua make the 6x47 version? if i’m understanding it right you would have to neck down there 6.5x47 Lapua cases in order to make them into a 6x47 lapua?! is that worth is over the peterson version? i’m interested in all options both ways? i’m looking to switch from my 6.5 creedmoor rifle setup to the 6x47 lapua. that’s why i’m asking. thanks y’all.

is peterson the only company who makes 6x47 lapua brass? why doesn’t Lapua make the 6x47 version? if i’m understanding it right you would have to neck down there 6.5x47 Lapua cases in order to make them into a 6x47 lapua?! is that worth is over the peterson version? i’m interested in all options both ways? i’m looking to switch from my 6.5 creedmoor rifle setup to the 6x47 lapua. that’s why i’m asking. thanks y’all.
If you don't want to buy multiple neck buttons and a sizing mandrel, you're probably better off going with Peterson.

I use Lapua and neck them down. It's not a big deal, but there is time and cost involved. I shoot the 6 in boltguns and get at least 20 reloads out of a batch. In that context, the extra time and money is spread out, so the time and money is minimal per round.

Reactions: DIBBS
Peterson is good brass, IME. I don't see much difference in performance between it and Lapua.
i’ve used both. in the 6.5 creedmoor area the peterson brass has less case volume buy a whole grain. wondering if that’s the same as in the 6x47 Lapua?

i’ve used both. in the 6.5 creedmoor area the peterson brass has less case volume buy a whole grain. wondering if that’s the same as in the 6x47 Lapua?

Is that a 'gee-wiz,' or is that going to make a tangible difference and sway your decision?

For practical purposes, you're going to get identical performance- It just comes down to whether you want to neck down the blue box or just open the clear box and go.

it’s a good conversation to have. i’ll probably just go with peterson because i don’t want to go through the extra work if i don’t necessarily have to. I was ultimately wondering why Lapua doesn’t make a 6x47 version themselves. sadly. maybe they will make that case this year. who knows.

what kind of powders do you all use? preferred bullets? i have H4350 and RL-16 right now. do i need to grab Varget?

If you don't want to buy multiple neck buttons and a sizing mandrel, you're probably better off going with Peterson.

I use Lapua and neck them down. It's not a big deal, but there is time and cost involved. I shoot the 6 in boltguns and get at least 20 reloads out of a batch. In that context, the extra time and money is spread out, so the time and money is minimal per round.

And you have to turn necks.

David

what kind of powders do you all use? preferred bullets? i have H4350 and RL-16 right now. do i need to grab Varget?
I have been running 6x47L for almost 10 years. Back when I started, Lapua 6.5X47 brass was all that was available. I just lube it and run it through a Forster full length die. I have some cases that have 16 reloads on them and the tight primer pockets are just starting to feel normal. I anneal every 5 loadings.

CCI 450 primers, RL16 and 17 have worked well for me.

When I first started, it was back during the Sandy Hook craziness, so bullet selection was limited. I had some 87 Vmax and they shot under 1/2 MOA. Next was some 105 Hornady BTHP, same results. Currently running 115 RDF over a mild charge of RL16 in a 1:7.5 Hawk Hill. It shoots sub MOA at 1K if I get my wind call right.

I have been running 6x47L for almost 10 years. Back when I started, Lapua 6.5X47 brass was all that was available. I just lube it and run it through a Forster full length die. I have some cases that have 16 reloads on them and the tight primer pockets are just starting to feel normal. I anneal every 5 loadings.

When I first started, it was back during the Sandy Hook craziness, so bullet selection was limited. I had some 87 Vmax and they shot under 1/2 MOA. Next was some 105 Hornady BTHP, same results. Currently running 115 RDF over a mild charge of RL16 in a 1:7.5 Hawk Hill. It shoots sub MOA at 1K if I get my wind call right.
^^^^^^^^^this

I buy Lapua 6.5X47 cases an do what MarshallDodge does before the first loading, and it has worked perfectly for years with no problems... I probably get an average of 20 reloads before the primer pockets start to go. I don't red line them though, and run about 2,900 FPS.

I don't do anything special or turn the necks (any excess brass will thin out and get trimmed off over the first few firings).

In fact, I went with 6X47 over some of the other wildcats I was looking at specifically because there was no crème of wheat, water expanding, neck turning, or multiple dies necessary. I certainly respect anyone's process that works for them, but I have never had one smidge of problems just running them through a FL die and done. To me that's the beauty of a 6X47. That and it's a perfect case volume for the 6mm.

^^^^^^^^^this

I buy Lapua 6.5X47 cases an do what MarshallDodge does before the first loading, and it has worked perfectly for years with no problems... I probably get an average of 20 reloads before the primer pockets start to go. I don't red line them though, and run about 2,900 FPS.

I don't do anything special or turn the necks (any excess brass will thin out and get trimmed off over the first few firings).

In fact, I went with 6X47 over some of the other wildcats I was looking at specifically because there was no crème of wheat, water expanding, neck turning, or multiple dies necessary. I certainly respect anyone's process that works for them, but I have never had one smidge of problems just running them through a FL die and done. To me that's the beauty of a 6X47. That and it's a perfect case volume for the 6mm.
I absolutely adore my two 6x47L's. Best caliber I've ever owned. Running Berger 105 Match Target Hybrids over H4350, right at 3,000 fps. I prep my brass once when it's new, inluding neck turning. I watch the brass OAL, but haven't really seen it grow in length. I anneal after each firing. Probably not necessary to do it that often but it's quick, the qty is small and my reloading regimen remains consistent.

Last edited:

this is great stuff. thanks for the info. curious if the cci-450 in the 6mm arena are needed or just preferred over the cc-400?

I absolutely adore my two 6x47L's. Best caliber I've ever owned. Running Berger 105 Match Target Hybrids over H4350, right at 3,000 fps. I prep my brass once when it's new, inluding neck turning. I watch the brass OAL, but haven't really seen it grow in length. I anneal after each firing. Probably not necessary to do it that often but it's quick, the qty is small and my reloading regimen remains consistent.
i anneal after every firing as well. it’s part of my reloading process and i’m OCD do i stick to it every time. i have an AMP annealer so i know it’s perfect and fast each time. best brass life ever.

Go with Peterson. I've been on my 8th firing and 2 barrels on my SRP brass of their 6.5 Creed brass. Primer pockets are still tight, and minimal brass stretch after firing, even with full length sizing and a .002-.004 bump.

My Peterson 308 SRP/Palma brass has been used for 20 firings as of this week and still holding up great.

You can count on Peterson brass.

Don’t use a 400 unless you like puncturing primers.
I saw a lot of load data with 450s so that is what I started with and never strayed. My first rifle was based on a Remington 700. With the factory large firing pin, I always had a little bit of primer flow, so I didn't want to change to a primer with a thinner cup. The new rifle has a Deviant with the small pin but I stayed with the 450.

The Eric Cortina 6x47 lapua reamer is what you want if you don't want to turn necks. And you take 6.5 lapua brass and size down to 6mm, not a big deal and you get a better brass in my opinion. I prefer to buy American but when it comes to brass I stick with lapua. I shoot 6.5x47 lapua right now and I'm going to 6mm next and will prolly go with 6x47 lapua because I got brass