• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x47L vs 6.5x4L

para1505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
Columbia MO area
Fellow shooters,
I have been shooting a 6.5x47L for probably 10 years. I really have liked this cartridge. I've been using 123 gn Scenars MV 3000. I have been thinking a lot about a 6x47L for a while. I do not compete any more so this new barrel is for recreational shooting only. The area I live in, about 1200 yards is as far as you get to shoot. This discussion is about these two calibers, so please don't bring up or recommend another one. Also let me know what weight bullet and brand.
Look really forward to this discussion

Based on your info, I don't see any reason to deviate from 6.5x47L.

Reactions: Mxridr
Like you, I've been shooting 6.5x47L for 10 years and many times have contemplated switching things up. In the end I just try different barrel lengths, bullet & powder combos. I've got a pair of 20" barrels that really like the 120s & 123s, and a pair of 26" barrels that I've used everything from 123s to 144s, the latter of which is my current go to load.

It's a versatile cartridge and not finnicky to load for either, so I see it as a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" situation you're in.

My first wonder 6 was a 6x47 Lapua. Still think that might be the best 6 out there. Shoots an incredible range of powders well. N160 and 105 hybrids was tops for accuracy in several barrels. 7828SSC was extremely good in my barrel as well. Make sure you get a .275” neck.

Like you, I've been shooting 6.5x47L for 10 years and many times have contemplated switching things up. In the end I just try different barrel lengths, bullet & powder combos. I've got a pair of 20" barrels that really like the 120s & 123s, and a pair of 26" barrels that I've used everything from 123s to 144s, the latter of which is my current go to load.

It's a versatile cartridge and not finnicky to load for either, so I see it as a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" situation you're in.
1st 6.5x47 barrel I had I tried 142 SMK then Lapua was selling the 120L Scenars for $320.00 for 1000
I was so impressed with the way they shot at 1000 yards against all my buddies .308's
The sell on them lasted quit a while. I went through 2 boxes of a 1000 then changed to 123 gn Scenars

I’m running 38.5gr of h4350 with 107smk’s in my 6x47. It consistently shoots 1/2 moa or less out to 650, that’s the furthest I’ve gone with it. Ive been getting the same results with 105vld’s and the same powder charge as well.

Nosler 105 Rdf in my PRS rig. Competed at a steel challenge fclass / PRS hybrid match. I was the only one to cold bore 1200y. First shot of the day.

Can't go wrong.

Honestly I just prefer the 6’s in general. After owning and/or shooting a considerable amount with 6.5 creed, 6.5 prc, 260 rem, 6.5x47 lapua, and then owning or shooting the 6 creed, 6xc and 6bra I enjoy the 6’s more. So fast, super accurate (especially that bra and xc), and lighter recoil for spotting hits. Love the 6.5’s but if it were me, I’d make the switch to the 6x47. Only negative is barrel life

Reactions: jakelly
Honestly I just prefer the 6’s in general. After owning and/or shooting a considerable amount with 6.5 creed, 6.5 prc, 260 rem, 6.5x47 lapua, and then owning or shooting the 6 creed, 6xc and 6bra I enjoy the 6’s more. So fast, super accurate (especially that bra and xc), and lighter recoil for spotting hits. Love the 6.5’s but if it were me, I’d make the switch to the 6x47. Only negative is barrel life
I would really like to try the 6mm but I've had such success with the 6.5. It seems that I'm always thinking how to improve something but if it's not broke why think that way. Also I have a lot of 6.5mm bullets. Only 600 6mm bullets and they are slated for my ARC.

Nosler 105 Rdf in my PRS rig. Competed at a steel challenge fclass / PRS hybrid match. I was the only one to cold bore 1200y. First shot of the day.

Can't go wrong.
But did you make the hit because you made a better wind call than everyone else?

But did you make the hit because you made a better wind call than everyone else?
Yup. Also, they were pegging them into the 100y berm to get a dope call, (aka blow off / spotters) then proceed to the actual target. I called them pussies and went for it. It was mostly luck, I'm gonna admit it. But go big or go home ! Also did it off a bipod and a pint size g-changer. They had these big front rest things and tracker rear bags.

This is my gun, someone else shooting (I let a fclasser borrow and shoot it to see how they move / feel) at 1100y. I have a video of him going 5/5 and beating me on my own damn gun.

The video is one of the stages. KYL plates, 800y. First large, the flasher goes off once. If you hit the 2nd gong, it flashes twice. All the way to 5 flashes for the 5th gong. It was shoot to move. If you missed, too bad, move on. You could spot with the naked eye plenty easy. It was a single unit connected to all 5 gongs.

IMG20210620125239_compress51.jpg

Last edited: