• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6X5 Thread V5.0 *new 1/1/21*

My 6x5, made on a milk carton. Their walls are 2.68" wide, for measurement.
Nothing special, was shooting and felt I could give something in. Random SK Biathlon lot, indoors. I lost my focus after I pulled one away from group #4..
I shoot without a rear bag, so it is just the bipod.
20191018_223051.jpg

I ran some calculations with Range buddy:
IMG_20191019_021222_847.jpg

The gun and the range:
20180517_193149.jpg
20191018_193831.jpg
20191018_193839.jpg

Attachments

• 20180517_193237.jpg
    20180517_193237.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Well... concentrating on the fundamentals is definitely helping :) Now if i could just keep my concentration so that i don't make errors like on groups 2 and 4 ! The first two coldbore shots were actually scary ! the first one sounded more like a 6.5mm waaay into supersonic !
Ignoring the first group the average was 0.610 MOA. I felt i could call my shots reasonably well today - a nice improvement for me :)
There were flashes of "I've got this", a really nice feeling after wandering in the land of confusion for so long. :)

And for the edification of other people at the same stage as me, this target may not look much better than my other ones, but it "felt" much better - the bullets were going pretty much where i thought they would - that's a big improvement over being confused when they hit somewhere other than where i thought they should !

1571587707040.png

@littlepod surprised the hell out of me ! i initially thought id had a breach miss-function it was so noisy. ive chrono'd several at 1120 ft/sec before but none have sounded like this one did.

I had frequent supersonics when my chamber was dirty. One stroke with boresnake and it was for sure next was fast. You might want to check it. (hate to be the ITS THE CARBON RING guy)

I visited the range today and burned my remaining Eley Match there.
I also tried RWS R100, it hit very good at times on single point and then switched it o_O

After R100 I did 6x5 with eleys. No shots off paper after changing from R100.

This paper has 8x5 but the last group (8/8) is SK Biathlon. The first round hit wayy higher than the rest of the group, ruining it.

IMG_20191020_214335_289.jpg

The last 2 groups must of course be disqualified, but I thought the full paper shows how the Eley SLOWLY gets on going after cartridge change.

This was Eley before trying R100:
IMG_20191020_160459_874.jpg

And the gun & view:
20191020_125211.jpg
20180922_114132.jpg

Reactions: littlepod
@Near miss checked with Hawkeye - could maybe convince myself there were signs of a carbon ring - will clean it anyway and see if there is any difference. The barrel itself is clean - slightly matt but clean.

cleaned. found the firing pin assembly was gritty/dirty so disassembled it and cleaned everything - it even makes a different noise dry-firing it. i wonder if light strikes have been causing some of the ES is see on the chrono ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Near miss
Irish, it started out with 2 barrel support points, 1/8th inch thick epoxy shims.
Added a third to determine if the lateral spread I was seeing was caused by barrel whip.

HAwax6FLCK0B6WLxauQ6f7k6gxDGXtwowj9Dw5ykaw0ln-HU_yjofjMLadYz20n5K1kI04JWBgw1Q34vdRjMnJ6OsEpm-2Qk1KSSZ_SWKcBMA3I9RUVAgGp0ibyURY16qAcEXT8Xq35bnAygUL82pX5MLiqwUdP-yDW1m91gCHnb8HvxPCkCJcwPfjebSoWFdc6mXGA-rLzEL89c6JrG-OdDjGdZUlugVgAz7lvnARQFF-mcHDPStlqDwgqThsPmooefmDYhhwbU1_D4pkOTsUFRcVzZCwYxvFCquojoMuJ2EWREqZjM1H0iUTU98sztMHFGIqrFOA8oBYHxSzacrLcaM2Hbj8WSLRrbuJoXoU711RADGOI_1aZL5JaoaPovAfM6JxU7e6wRyZR5SMNTXz-YRgXTV7rD0K97K_mH7l-yuIL82f22vjR2JULR-hzbvp2cQdM3pAPu8cKBaDiYYmRr6wafuCXZP-3Qlcn6weqE6FQ_Nbhr0RJ-ymjdsA2Sn4sLQfo_WIzhK5rAJrmXe-xScRAlo9s0iJFsd3QdGr77KwsaKmAfWCt0UgWOsDIb7PtIbhUJNpUjxtyoHJdrCWDH5aCQIctqdkFalj0WqJGkPizIb4xE9fmve342hqw=w314-h575-no

1/8th inch air gap around the barrel except at the support shims and retention pads/plates.

W_9DnmjJZ6uE6_BZrvnBBAtu2EeBSHEhGexxX2T3vaVHpAm2Xe594LCHrnoXSVvAz1ur37qDulez75s2ljMompis1mUxlEUWOnd1d0KrbQx009Pmyns2AyGpjTfeJW14koJJnxWArml-0H7TMmN_j1TTQgeragrn3Y19Wmh4ljK9kS02tN8-OMaU93SGOZz9M4XItgrZZ_YhShBQuhlWEMwbcJz16iVShddG1cnFAmbyCUit0oTl1GHHYn-q1Dbi-whzHnJdKNLi5bYu0bl_tdrwqrxh8pMJsWS6btvbi5JL0MG3EK_dx8FT7tv81qD--i8eSM12Tj7tp0KyJOCN9od8aquhW-32QP1vz8AzBTpyCm6nLxZk9vhhpEqvo0JY1RBQtb__iWndThQ5pHQD0UUiW52bmKv9AgfeMXv4dA1yIDkkzewZqyd1ugL8Psr4hLd6mM2kv7001Jga4ax0BYJ1tUNo5nQThSlVNppIo4tKyYGH6J4lCMXYuPB5eJBvo7VfouatiGmbNNJxaQcMUeH-SZPeAgnuRgbW3egT2aVZkR2jCsK7igG9nhpDTIn5HEIDgqmCPc5-nGpPzwo6RNkTFgTAhLXQjIIJrewPQHNO9J9WpuwRf5pfwLDtk24=w495-h559-no

This is just a test platform to determine what works.
17.6 lbs of inertia with bipod, rings and scope.
This submission is going to score near the bottom of the barrel but not THE bottom and it is for a reason. I shot the 6x5 50y challenge with IRON SIGHTS. The rifle was an antique Winchester Model 75 more than 70 yrs old, using the factory peep sights and Lapua CX ammo. Winds were calm.

Score: 0.641" ave (1.224 moa), best group = 0.470" (0.898 moa)

I forgot to bring my spotting scope since I seldom need it. I ran out of staples so I managed to staple 6 NRA bulls with four staples. Try that, lol. I started with a new untested lot of Lapua Center-x but had the rifle zeroed with an older lot and the new lot was shooting higher. Rezeroing is a bit tedious and could take 10-20 shots and most of my tgts available so I simply plowed on while switching back to my old lot of ammo. Not the best way to begin such a challenge. 2nd and 3rd groups were more centered. I shot the series from right to left on the bottom row and then from left to right on the top row. The wind picked up during the 4th group which is strung out from left to right. 2nd and 5th groups were the best, both being just under 1/2" and the last group was the worse mainly because my old eyes were getting tired and I rushed some of the shots. Still overall, I think this is pretty OK for no scope, iron sights outdoors. You be the judge.

Irish
IRON SIGHTS GIT OUTA HERE!!!!
Manage the variables. The ammo is going to be a limiting factor at some point. I like to shoot early in the mornings just because the winds are more calm at my location then. I shoot alone if I am going to go for groups because the distraction of having others around will foul up my concentration. I shoot 6x5's in a cadence with one shotabout every 45 sec. The way I look thru the scope is the same every shot. The part of my finger on the trigger is in the exact same place every shot. Breathing is the same. If your heartbeat is moving the sight picture try relaxing ypur grip a little on the rifle. I don't grip them too tight. If it is still moving the recticle, just break the shot in between the beats. Good breathing will slow your heartbeat also.
Im an old man which might make a difference but ive noticed that if i skip a few days of walking on treadmill, i can see my heartbeat in the scope.

Im an old man which might make a difference but ive noticed that if i skip a few days of walking on treadmill, i can see my heartbeat in the scope.

Cardiovascular training is a great place to work on your performance at the range. I have been training very hard all my adult life for endurance racing. The kind of training and racing I do is very similar to a snowball in that it builds on itself each year. Now that I have been doing it for 25-26 years I have not put much thought into controlling me hear rate in less I’m doing some stress shooting and then it’s not much of a factor. I remember when I started out in precision rifle shooting (especially 3 position) it was something I struggled with.

I think physical training is absolutely overlooked for the majority of the people in this country and that honestly makes me sad. If you want to take your shooting to the next level work on your diet and start exercising regularly. Not only will your shooting improve but so will your everyday life.

These were rounds 8-37 fired from my new Vudoo 22 after getting it assembled and zeroed today. This thing is amazing. Now to bring my skills up to the level of being worthy of the rifle.
C49DCECE-2F6C-4E41-8876-20D5B628EF68.jpeg2927D793-314D-4277-8B17-7A4EA561A912.jpeg

Reactions: drglock and Cuzz
My 6x5, made on a milk carton. Their walls are 2.68" wide, for measurement.
Nothing special, was shooting and felt I could give something in. Random SK Biathlon lot, indoors. I lost my focus after I pulled one away from group #4..
I shoot without a rear bag, so it is just the bipod.
View attachment 7166431
I ran some calculations with Range buddy:
View attachment 7166583
The gun and the range:
View attachment 7166568
View attachment 7166437
View attachment 7166438
NM:

Is the action bedded?

RLS

Cuzz, looks like some good shooting there. I don’t have the target measuring software to measure them, post up the group sizes and I’ll update the results.

Up to you, however if you want to just put the lowest average of the 3 targets and the smallest group size in a decimal is all I really need.

Here's my first attempt at this. So for the record my neck has been giving me trouble for a while now and shooting prone just makes it worse. So i shot this off a cooler at 50 yards. I only had 80 rounds through this gun before this, and a third of those were shot by my girlfriend. Ammo used was SK Rifle Match. Sunny day with some light winds 2-3 mph, I tried to shoot while there was no wind. 48.5 degrees.

My first cold bore shot was .4625" off POA. all measured groups are minus .223" written on the target. I would have preferred to have my POI high in the 1" square vs what ran with since my sight picture would have been better but Oh well. I'll test some of the other ammo I have on hand........ RWS Match, Lapua Center X, and Midas. I thought this shot better then the SK Std. Plus which is why I used it.

Thanks for posting and great to be back to the Old SH again!
IMG_20191110_135823135_HDR.jpgP1050767.JPG

Vudoo Bartlein 20" Kukri
Trigger Tech Dia. Pro
McMillian HTG M40 stock
USO 1.8-10x GAP reticle

Last edited:
Reactions: Cuzz
New MDT Chassis, and IBI barrel on the Tikka. Getting used to it, I've gotten sloppy with my shooting fundamentals since there's no recoil on the 22, you get lazy. I switched to my 308 today and saw how bad I did until I aligned up perfectly with recoil, groups shrunk by a good 50%. I wish I did that when shooting the 22, maybe next time!

Tikka T1X
IBI 20" bull barrel
MDT ACC Chassis
100 yards
Center-X
Prone w/ Bipod and Bag

I'm pretty happy with the center-x consistency, I can do better.. will keep track as I do some sample lots of center-x the next few weeks. I ended up shooting the other 15 rounds through the rifle (3 more groups at the end)

20191110_006.jpg

6x5
.52" best group.
.778" average
.74 moa

1573432003985.png

Last 3 groups to finish off the box

1573432106471.png

Reactions: Cuzz
6.5 GUY, I have you on the results. Nice looking Vudoo. I bought my dad its twin.

Littlepod, that is a good looking chassis!

Reactions: 6.5 GUY
Nice shooting Kevin, I have you on the 50 yard results now.

It is good to see some entries this weekend, I was going to get out and shoot a little yesterday to celebrate the Marine Corps birthday but had too much work to do before the weather goes to crap this week.

6.5 GUY, I have you on the results. Nice looking Vudoo. I bought my dad its twin.

Littlepod, that is a good looking chassis!
Hopefully your Dad likes it jbell? I'm more old school myself and why I went with the M40A1 stock. I tend to shoot better unsupported with this style of rifle stock vs AI, TRG type of chassis.

Super nice and I really like the straight taper barrel job. I almost went with a MTU myself.

Cardiovascular training is a great place to work on your performance at the range. I have been training very hard all my adult life for endurance racing. The kind of training and racing I do is very similar to a snowball in that it builds on itself each year. Now that I have been doing it for 25-26 years I have not put much thought into controlling me hear rate in less I’m doing some stress shooting and then it’s not much of a factor. I remember when I started out in precision rifle shooting (especially 3 position) it was something I struggled with.

I think physical training is absolutely overlooked for the majority of the people in this country and that honestly makes me sad. If you want to take your shooting to the next level work on your diet and start exercising regularly. Not only will your shooting improve but so will your everyday life.
And statistically your longevity.

RLS

Reactions: jbell
Got out at noon to test again but with Lapua Center-X ammo @ 50 yards. I shot better then yesterday, same set-up off the cooler while seated on my Wiebad pillow pump bag knees on the ground and my feet behind my butt flat on their sides. I'm limber, I just need my neck straight with my spine to be comfortable. No real Wind to speak of, right at 40 degrees (not in the Sun), looking South into it though shaded partially in my field of view, target was in the shade. As soon as I finish posting this I'm hoping to go test the RWS Special Match ammo.

Attachments

• P1050768.JPG
    P1050768.JPG
    432.8 KB · Views: 108
RWS Special Match @ 50 yards.... Not sure if shooting this ammo over the Lapua, and SK ammo without fouling the barrel with it first and/or cleaning it would have help or not? I did notice the wax on this ammo (RWS) was not slick to the touch and was solidified to the surface of the bullets vs (Lapua, SK ammo) even though the ammo came right from my house and into a warm pocket in my jacket. BTW I only had to walk roughly a little over 100 yards to set up at target and walk back before beginning this test. It seemed to settle in after the first 10 rounds if I did my part and not have the sun in my eye.

Still pretty decent stuff. I've shot the Lapua, and SK long range ammo out to 125 yards last week so I'll have to get working on submitting a 100 yard target soon enough. The weather is suppose to start raining here soon, and I could get snow too so I'll have to get on it.

Attachments

• P1050769.JPG
    P1050769.JPG
    466.3 KB · Views: 107
I managed to run out and test something I've never shot yet in my Vudoo V22, the Lapua Midas + ammo. Since my eyes aren't what they used to be and no sunlight, I had to place some orange dots so I had a better sight picture where my center was...... Using a USO TPAL 1.8-10x that I used for years in PRS. I never felt hindered using 10x, 12x, or 15x scopes, this is not just making a hit on steel now is it! That said I shot this at a fairly fast pace too and wasn't really thinking much more than to see what happens? Not to bad, expensive ammo so I just hoped for the best.

Side Note: Unlike the RWS ammo, Lapua must use a wax/lube that stays slick at cold temps. It was 35 degrees here when I shot this @ 10:00 am. (DA 1,450)

VGW 20" Bartlein Kukri
McM HTG M401A stock
Trigger Tech Dia. Pro
Harris Bi-pod
Armageddon game changer (hanging over the rear edge on my Pelican cooler)
Wiebad pillow pump to support my butt while everything below my knees is in full contact with the ground. (Not shot prone) Maybe one day I'll give it a go again, I got into this to keep me shooting and not have anymore neck issues.

100 Yards

P1050771.JPG

Harris Bi-pod
Armageddon game changer (hanging over the rear edge on my Pelican cooler)
Wiebad pillow pump to support my butt while everything below my knees is in full contact with the ground. (Not shot prone) Maybe one day I'll give it a go again, I got into this to keep me shooting and not have anymore neck issues.

100 Yards

Cooler Prone. Awesome. I expect stability is better the more beer in the cooler and accuracy drops off as you empty the cooler. ;)

Reactions: Appalachian
65 GUY, I have you on the 100 yard results. That is pretty good for 100 yards in 35f air temp. Try some Center X and see how it does at 100. I have never had a rifle shoot Midas better than Center X for some reason.

65 GUY, I have you on the 100 yard results. That is pretty good for 100 yards in 35f air temp. Try some Center X and see how it does at 100. I have never had a rifle shoot Midas better than Center X for some reason.
Thanks for the advice! I had my mags all loaded w/Center-X and removed them before starting thinking they'd shoot better..... You'd think at $15.99/box they would! We have some bad weather that moved in, so it might be awhile. Not as bad as Detroit or the rest of the Midwest, and East Coast which would really make my shooting suck!

Thanks,

Cole

That thang deserves a real bench and no wind.
I've had this sitting here since 2006, it's an original BR Pivot Bench from Bend, OR that disassembles into its own bag and can be used anywhere, even in the back of a P/U truck. Super stable platform even out to a 1,000 yards, this setup is @ 100 yards. I have a pad for running them through a Oehler 35P set @ 20' from the muzzle with the window open. I only use it for testing out new loads, it's nice to go from the reloading room, walk a few feet away and shoot. A lot of ammo has gone through that window in the last thirteen years. I have steel setup out to 600+ yards I can use on my property....... And in 10 minutes drive up to hit steel on the mountain side @ 1,300 yards.

P1050772.JPGP1050775.JPG

I've had this sitting here since 2006, it's an original BR Pivot Bench from Bend, OR that disassembles into its own bag and can be used anywhere, even in the back of a P/U truck. Super stable platform even out to a 1,000 yards, this setup is @ 100 yards. I have a pad for running them through a Oehler 35P set @ 20' from the muzzle with the window open. I only use it for testing out new loads, it's nice to go from the reloading room, walk a few feet away and shoot. A lot of ammo has gone through that window in the last thirteen years. I have steel setup out to 600+ yards I can use on my property....... And in 10 minutes drive up to hit steel on the mountain side @ 1,300 yards.

View attachment 7182742View attachment 7182743
The cooler had me feeling sorry for you, now i envy you!

It would seem a great bench. Midway sells them for $470.

RLS

It would seem a great bench. Midway sells them for $470.

RLS
That's a good price for the quality of how well they're made and work. Mine was made by Rick Vacqueray of Varmint Masters LLC in Bend OR, ($575.00) and the carrying bags were made by Red Oxx Mfg. in Billings MT. ($245.00) So if Caldwell makes these like the original design that's a good product that would last a lifetime you could hand down to your kids.

Happy today :) getting more consistent at 100m
0.753 MOA

AVG 0.635 MOA

first group was sighting after a scope mount change (moved it further back) Group 6 would have been my best ever if the first round had gone the same place as the other 4 ;-) Can't we count a 4 round group of 0.18 MOA ? ;) :ROFLMAO:
Even if the score isn't so wonderful it was really, really nice to feel that the rounds were going where i expected them to go and not unexplainably flying off somewhere unexpected ! A good day when the gun and i were in agreement :ROFLMAO:
1573914830211.png

Looks very good to me, im blessed with an indoor 50 yd today, pics later. Thst looks like a 4 group .18 to me but they all look good.
What front rest do you use?

Last edited:
Barronian, that is what I am talking about!! That is what those Sauer rifles can do, I am super happy you have found your grove with it. Honestly it may have needed a lot of rounds to breakin fully (some rimfires can take a LOT of rounds to break in), in addition to you getting used to it. AWESOME man, I look forward to seeing more.

Reactions: littlepod
Looks very good to me, im blessed with an indoor 50 yd today, pics later. Thst looks like a 4 group .18 to me but they all look good.
What front rest do you use?
Thought id do better than this indoors but good enough to pick a best ammo and i got several high .2’s with midas, probably best 6 groups in a row ever.
utg bipod & homade sandbag.

Attachments

• 47FA575C-E4FD-402C-A42F-F642C7BEA485.jpeg
    47FA575C-E4FD-402C-A42F-F642C7BEA485.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I finally found a unwindy day. all 50 yd, targets 1/2”. 3 sets of 6 targets 5 shots each , rws target rifle and center xView attachment 7178963
Cuzz, that is some very nice and consistent shooting. Those Vudoos are kicking ass. I finally got to see and handle one at our local club. Fellow brought it to our sporter fun shoot. I was very impressed with it. I still beat him with my 87 year old Winchester but not by much. Plus age, experience and treachery beats youth and enthusiasm most of the time, lol. I am gonna have to get my hands on one.

Irish