• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6XC brass issues

scootball

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2009
Georgia
Im running a 6XC with Alfa small primer brass. This past weekend at a match, every piece of brass that was on its fifth firing, was getting stuck in the chamber after being fired. Some pieces, really stuck. While I was there, several people mention having the same issue with the same brass and caliber and mentioned that ALPHA brass has a soft case head and that its swelling in the chamber and getting stuck. Im running a 115 DTAC at 2900 FPS. So my question is, is this the expected life of the brass or is anyone getting more brass life with a different brand running a similar bullet and charge ?

Alpha brass is to be used in a 6XC II chamber not the regular 6XC chamber. Switch to Norma or Peterson brass and you shouldn't have any problems.

Reactions: Pezco
I’ve had alpha brass issues in my 6mm cm I feel alpha brass is entirely to soft to be competitive with Lapua brass like they think they are I’ve never ever had an issue with Lapua brass that’s why it’s worth 120 bucks per 100 alpha isn’t worth a $1 per round at all I’ve bought for my 6.5 and my 6 cm and didn’t care for ether.

I'm running Alpha brass through a chamber cut for the original 6XC with no issues - just need to be mindful of the headspace after firing, so a headspace gauge may be of some assistance with your re-sizing. I'm also running Norma 6XC and find the Alpha brass superior.

Alpha brass is to be used in a 6XC II chamber not the regular 6XC chamber. Switch to Norma or Peterson brass and you shouldn't have any problems.
So how many chambers are there for the XC? There was the original, 22-250 brass blown out, 2nd was for Norma or Tubb stamped< which was the #2, is there a 3rd now?

So how many chambers are there for the XC? There was the original, 22-250 brass blown out, 2nd was for Norma or Tubb stamped< which was the #2, is there a 3rd now?
I believe there are three now but none are SAAMI specs. The first was the standard 22-250 version that was later modified for Norma brass. Then you have CIP which has a .470 web area and .2748 neck. The third one is the 6XC II, which has a .4714 web area and .276 neck.
That are other reamers out there that have been modified by the customer. For example, I ordered a custom JGS reamer with a .4705 web area and .275 neck and can run Norma and Alpha brass without any issues. Plus I can use all my standard 6XC dies.

Op,
Not sure if you have done it already but check your headspace again. See what your fired piece of brass measures and bump back .002.

I believe there are three now but none are SAAMI specs. The first was the standard 22-250 version that was later modified for Norma brass. Then you have CIP which has a .470 web area and .2748 neck. The third one is the 6XC II, which has a .4714 web area and .276 neck.
That are other reamers out there that have been modified by the customer. For example, I ordered a custom JGS reamer with a .4705 web area and .275 neck and can run Norma and Alpha brass without any issues. Plus I can use all my standard 6XC dies.

Op,
Not sure if you have done it already but check your headspace again. See what your fired piece of brass measures and bump back .002.
That's some confusing shit, lol. If the op's die set matches the 2nd configuration he should have been fine, except the base is not getting worked enough.
On headspace, IME, rare stiff lift or stuck cases unless the bolt close is hard. People neck sized for eons w/o a bump.
My reamer .4695" and .275" neck

FYI- 6XC has been a C.I.P. Cartridge since 2004. The alternative base diameter dimensions spawned by the inadequate manufacturing brass head hardness and or those lacking in gunsmithing skills is unfortunate.

Changes in 6XC neck diameter/throat length/leade angle are all somewhat dictated by invidual preference and or bullet weight.

FYI- 6XC has been a C.I.P. Cartridge since 2004. The alternative base diameter dimensions spawned by the inadequate manufacturing brass head hardness and or those lacking in gunsmithing skills is unfortunate.

Changes in 6XC neck diameter/throat length/leade angle are all somewhat dictated by invidual preference and or bullet weight.

SSS has Peterson brass in both lrp and srp for $.69. This brass is excellent in quality and head hardness as well as price.
6XC Reamer prints are under the articles section of david Tubb.com.

Norma 6XCbrass is occasionally available from SSS.

Last edited:
I'm going to try Peterson brass in my new 6XC.
Is Peterson roughly the same case capacity as the Norma case? Just curious as where I should start load development.
What is SSS?

Full length sizing the brass, bumping the shoulder back .002 from fired brass.

Were they sticking at the top of the bolt lift, on the extractor cam, as opposed to sticky through the entire bolt lift. Usually indicates the base of the case is too large in the chamber. The base of the case expands radially with bolt thrust, and the rear most and partially unsupported portion of the case is virtually solid brass, with little or no springback.

Last edited:
To add on to what @Supersubes is saying, I recently started having an issue with Alpha brass in my 6.5 Creedmoor. The issue was the case head swelling. First firing went fine. Second firing went fine. Third firing and I couldn't extract a piece of brass without really manhandling the bolt. Turns out my dies (Redding Type S FL) may not be completely compatible with my chamber. It was resizing the brass and setting the shoulder back 0.002", but not sizing far enough down the brass to reach the case along 0.200" line above the case head. I ordered a cheap set of RCBS small base dies and my problem is solved, though it does add an extra step in my reloading process. Here's my thread:

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...se-difficult-extraction.6921575/#post-7463708