• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6XC Loads

This was my initial tests, 28in bartlein with a 1:7.7 on a savage action

Attachments

• photo71381.jpg
    photo71381.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 669
Norma Brass
Berger 105 Hybrid jumped .015"
39.5-39.9gr. H-4350
Fed 210M
3045-3105fps in 26.5" barrels

Norma Brass
Berger 105 Hybrid (Moly) jumped .012"
38.9gr VV N550
210M
3120 fps 27" barrel

^^ Low pressure load
RL 17 will produce the most speed for you with less pressure, no guarantee accuracy wise.

Reactions: yeff
I use the 115 dtacs over 40.5 grains on H4350 and get 2,950 FPS in my AI AX barrel. No pressure signs or anything.

It is a bit slower than I would like but getting up to 3,000 FPS really is not going to change anything.

The DTACs are amazingly consistent as well.

Guys are getting more speed out of the RL powders though.

Started load development today:

H4350 38.1gr-39.9gr in 0.2gr increments.
CCI BR2
Berger 105 Hybrids
Length to Ogive- 2.19"
COAL- 2.79"

I'll have results on sometime on Thursday.

Load development worked pretty well. 6xc is stupid accuracte. Probably going to go with 39.7 to start. It's a slightly larger vertical group than the 38.9, but it's faster and my barrel was really starting to heat up by the time I got to 39.7. I'm only getting 2920fps out of it but I think it'll speed up a bit when I get some more rounds on the barrel.

Attachments

• photo71729.jpg
    photo71729.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 986
IMO it's a waste of time to do load development before putting some rounds down the barrel. Finding a load that the barrel likes at round #50, then hoping/assuming it will speed up AND still be in tune seems a bit backwards. Shoot 100 mild practice loads, if the barrel speeds up it "should" be done, then start your load workup.

Also, there's no need to do 0.2gr increments for a ~40gr load. 0.3 or 0.4gr will be fine to accomplish the OCW, you'll waste less time and components, and you'll be able to fine tune in the next step.

Any pressure signs? I like to load beyond what I think max pressure will be, since you never know with that barrel/powder/bullet what the max will be. It's easier to stop when you see pressure and pull the rest of the bullets when you get home than it is to wonder if you could've pushed it further and you have lower than expected velocity...then make another range trip for mini-OCW #2. Ask me how I know LOL

Don't have time for that. I only have a week to get things ready for the grind. No pressure signs. Groups are all roughly where I want them to be. If it speeds up over the next 50, great. If not, I'm perfectly content with 2920-2950. i'll be doing a true load work up this winter.

• Wow
Reactions: Terry of illinois
Who cares what everyone else is using? If you're not seeing pressure signs, who's to say you couldn't go another 0.5gr or more higher to get 3000fps?

I've had slow lots of powder that didn't match up with data online...

The 0.3gr is just a suggestion to save time, components, and hopefully confusion with the OCW. Instead of 10 5-shot strings to cover only 1.8 total grains, why not 8 5-shot strings that cover 38.4-40.5? If you graph the velocity you should see a flat spot that correlates to your accuracy node. If you run into pressure then stop and pull the bullets. If you were shooting a 338 Lapua with 90gr of powder, would you still use 0.2gr increments?

39.7gr H4350
Norma Brass
BR-2 Primer
105 Hybrids
Jump .01

Getting 3075 from a 26" barrel

Who cares what everyone else is using? If you're not seeing pressure signs, who's to say you couldn't go another 0.5gr or more higher to get 3000fps?

I've had slow lots of powder that didn't match up with data online...

The 0.3gr is just a suggestion to save time, components, and hopefully confusion with the OCW. Instead of 10 5-shot strings to cover only 1.8 total grains, why not 8 5-shot strings that cover 38.4-40.5? If you graph the velocity you should see a flat spot that correlates to your accuracy node. If you run into pressure then stop and pull the bullets. If you were shooting a 338 Lapua with 90gr of powder, would you still use 0.2gr increments?

Its ts too late to do it any other way before the grind. Doing 0.3gr increments will have to wait until after the season then I can try other powders as well. Switching calibers this late wasn't in the plan.

i would do 0.2gr on the .338L because I prefer not to rearrange my facial features.

The lot of H4350 I was running last year gave me pressure signs with 39.8 grains, settled on a 39.4 load to run. The lot of H4350 I was running this year, I didn't have pressure until 41.0 grains and settled on a 40.0 load to run...

Stopping before pressure signs because the internet says so, is only putting you at your own disadvantage. That 40.0 load was getting me 3060 fps after 200 rounds were on the barrel, I saw velocity increases all the way to 200 rounds on both barrels this year.

If you're running H4350 with 105-108 grain bullets, start at 38.5 and work your way up.

37 grains varget

Attachments

• photo74854.jpg
    photo74854.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 772
Just placed an order at Kreiger for a 28" barrel chambered in 6xc kind of excited to see how it compares to my 26" barrel. Unfortunately I have to wait 4 months.

Got my Kreiger barrel back and scored another 8lb tub of 4350. Thinking of making the switch to 107 or 110 SMKs. Anyone know if an 8 twist will stabilize the 110s?

I was told 107s would work. That’s what I’m waiting to test with my 8 twist. 110s might be pushing your luck but worth a try.

Everything I've read/heard said the 110 SMKs are a no-go in an 8 twist. When ordering from Bartlein, Frank said a 7.5 twist should work but I went with a 7.25 twist to play it safe (I'm planning on shooting the 110 SMKs exclusively).

Everything I've read/heard said the 110 SMKs are a no-go in an 8 twist. When ordering from Bartlein, Frank said a 7.5 twist should work but I went with a 7.25 twist to play it safe (I'm planning on shooting the 110 SMKs exclusively).

The guys in the "Rifle Snobs" group seem to think they will work if I can push them into the 3000fps range which is totally doable. My Second Edition of Applied Ballistics bullet library doesn't have the 110s listed.

That being said I can push the 105s faster and still have a decent G7 BC, only downside being that they are $20/500 more than the 107 SMKs.

The stability is still only 1.3 - which is in the marginal range - when the 110 SMK is pushed to 3100fps out of an 8 twist. I think anything much more than 3050fps in a 6XC is a pipe dream.

You'll have to run the numbers on the 107 SMK but the 105 Hybrids should be gtg.

105s shoot well so I know what I have with them. I was getting 3125 out of them in the lead up to the Grind. I doubt I’d see that speed from 110s.

Ran the 107 SMKs yesterday. They shoot better than the 105s

107 SMKs
39.7gr H4350
Norma Brass
FGMM 210s
0.010 off the lands

300 Yard Target.
74b01c02501d660a558df7d60cdc5941.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an 8 twist in both 6xc and 6 creed. it shot the 110 ok, but not as good as the 105g bergers, and not as good as my last barrel, which was a 7.5 twist. I know guys have been ok with the 8, but I won't run them again in anything slower than a 7.5. YMMV

I was shooting 110 SMK's in the 3000 fps range and they worked great in my 7.5 twist barrel until I shot in a DA of (500) and it went to shit at 1,000 yards. Couple weeks earlier at DA of 500 it shot fine.

I'm running into live round extraction issues on my AI bolt. It's at MHSA right now getting looked at. Hoping for a call today with a diagnoses and hopefully a concrete solution.

Reactions: dulla80
Just getting into the 6XC. What kind of velocities have yall been getting with the 110s and H4350? I have a 7.5 twist so should be fine.

• Love
Reactions: Terry of illinois
6XC
1:8 Bartlein Barrel - Gradous
39.6g H4350
105g Berger Hybrid - .015" off
CCI BR2
Alpha LRP 6XC Brass
3045 FPS

24" 1:7.5 CBI barrel
105 RDF .02" off the lands
CCI 200
Norma Brass
39.4gr H4350=2095 fps
39.8gr RL16=3075 fps

26" 1:7" Hardy carbon 6XC.
Norma brass.
Federal 210.
H4350 39.5gr
110 gr SMK.
Around 3000 fps.
COAL 71mm due to mag length.

Can push it a bit higher, no signs of high preassure, But the speed is okay and the accuracy and ES is great.

Last edited:
Norma Brass
110 SMK .040 off
H4350@ 39.4gr
2980 on magnetospeed from 24” barrel. To get my dope square BC a G1 or .625 and MV @ 3015

Schneider 26” 5R 1:7
Norma brass
Br2
115 dtac
2.75” coal
RL16 37.7gr 3020fps

Attachments

• 97B8FBE6-0418-458A-968B-CB41F0BCF7E7.jpeg
    97B8FBE6-0418-458A-968B-CB41F0BCF7E7.jpeg
    548.1 KB · Views: 222
Has anyone tried the new Alpha SRP brass for the 6XC? I see they state it’s better in a 6XC II chamber, not sure what that is honestly. I’ve been doing a lot of research for a more recoil friendly PRS round, and 6XC is in the lead by quite a bit.

I know this isn’t the most appropriate question for the reloading depot, but can anyone speak the felt recoil vs a 6.5 CM?

Has anyone tried the new Alpha SRP brass for the 6XC? I see they state it’s better in a 6XC II chamber, not sure what that is honestly. I’ve been doing a lot of research for a more recoil friendly PRS round, and 6XC is in the lead by quite a bit.

I know this isn’t the most appropriate question for the reloading depot, but can anyone speak the felt recoil vs a 6.5 CM?
Yes and it is better than Norma in my opinion as I have not gotten any donuts at 8 times fired. You are correct as Alpha recommends a 6XC II chamber which has a .4714 web area and .275 neck. The 6XC II has more room basically.

I had my old barrel spun up with a reamer that had only a .4695 web area and had bolt lift issues with Alpha. I had a reamer with a .4705 web area and .275 neck on order already and it works well with Alpha. However, if your gunsmith used a reamer with a web area that measures .470 or under, you will need to size the Alpha virgin brass before loading.

Talked to Mr. Gradous this morning, and he said the new Robert Whitley 6XC short throat and long throat reamers will be in his shop soon. I'm having a 26" spun up for my AI AT, and I wanted to get some input from you all on the 115 DTAC's. Do I want a 1:7.5 to shoot the 115's? I have 300 pieces of the Alpha 6XC II SRP brass (which is why I'm waiting for the Whitley die), and plan on running H4350. Is 3,000 FPS a reasonable expectation?

Talked to Mr. Gradous this morning, and he said the new Robert Whitley 6XC short throat and long throat reamers will be in his shop soon. I'm having a 26" spun up for my AI AT, and I wanted to get some input from you all on the 115 DTAC's. Do I want a 1:7.5 to shoot the 115's? I have 300 pieces of the Alpha 6XC II SRP brass (which is why I'm waiting for the Whitley die), and plan on running H4350. Is 3,000 FPS a reasonable expectation?
7.5 should do just fine. 3k is doable as well.

Reactions: OzzyO20

I would pick a 1:7" for the DTAC.

3000 fps shouldn't be to hard to reach, probably close to max load tho.

I am running 2960 FPS with my 6xc using a 27” 7.7 twist using 115 DTACs almost exclusively. I could push it harder if I needed to.

AI-AX w/ 24" barrel
108 ELD @ .02 jump
Norma brass FL sized (DTUBB recommended going to Peterson Small primer)
BR2
H4350 38.9gr @ 200y was .388" 5 shot group and 2.79" at 600y
3000 FPS w/ SD 6 fps

(40.4gr H4350 was 1/2" @ 200y but haven't tried them at 600y yet.)

I'm confused. The inventor of this round suggest 1-8 twist, his DTAC coated bullets, 26-30" barrels, Peterson LRP brass, the Masson reamer, and H4350 or H1000. Followed by the TMS system every 300-400 rounds and a brass or bronze brush with Sweets 762. No neck turning required, loaded on a Dillon 550 and load development conducted at .5 increments. This is as of Friday when I called to collect information on a possible build. So why are so many not following the suggestion of the inventor? Not belittling the efforts of anyone here. I don't have one and looking at doing one. So my question is solely for information purposes. Was this information not available before? Did it prove out to be incorrect? I understand that some of the suggestions are pushing the products he gets the greatest profit from. But, I would venture a guess that he also wants the best performance out of it as well. Any calcification will be appreciated.

If I’m shooting a match or targets I’m using DTACs. But I need a lead free hunting bullet and want to use my 6xc....so.
Also, some other folks like the 105 Hybrid or other due to increased velocity and slightly lower recoil.

Reactions: Baner
I'm confused. The inventor of this round suggest 1-8 twist, his DTAC coated bullets, 26-30" barrels, Peterson LRP brass, the Masson reamer, and H4350 or H1000. Followed by the TMS system every 300-400 rounds and a brass or bronze brush with Sweets 762. No neck turning required, loaded on a Dillon 550 and load development conducted at .5 increments. This is as of Friday when I called to collect information on a possible build. So why are so many not following the suggestion of the inventor? Not belittling the efforts of anyone here. I don't have one and looking at doing one. So my question is solely for information purposes. Was this information not available before? Did it prove out to be incorrect? I understand that some of the suggestions are pushing the products he gets the greatest profit from. But, I would venture a guess that he also wants the best performance out of it as well. Any calcification will be appreciated.
Profit.

But seeing the number of people going to dtacs now for 6xc and creed it's hard to argue with them like people used to.

Peterson brass is VERY new in the 6xc game. 6xc is very forgiving.

Things evolve and performance wise he may have the best combination as far as efficiency and ease of load. But there are people that will always shoot hybrids for whatever reason they have. And there will always be more than one way to load a 6xc. Just because he developed it doesnt mean it's the only way

Anyone using RL 16? I've just completed my build for my 6XC and have loaded up some rounds with H4350 but was curious about the RL 16.
Know a guy who tried it. Velocity was there just couldn't get it to group like H4350 for whatever reason

Reactions: 98Vandal
I have been using RL 16 in my 6XC all season and am very happy with the results, which are the same for three consecutive barrels now. Accuracy no worse than H4350 and H4831sc (which were both excellent), and I have not experienced any practical issues with the often-mentioned fact that the powder burns "dirtier" than others. Just clean your brake after each match and follow same barrel cleaning as with other powders.

Speed is better though. I found a node with 105 hybrids at 3160 fps (39.8 gr RL 16) that I cannot reach without mild pressure signs using H4350. I tested RL 16 up to 3230 fps just to explore where pressure would show up and had just barely flattened primers but no sticky bolt. This is with the 105s loaded so that the BT/bearing surface junction is about 1/3 of the way from the neck/shoulder junction, so keep in mind that my safe loads may be significantly higher than yours and follow appropriate safe load workup on your own rifle.

With uncoated DTACs I can push velocity to 3070-3080 before seeing pressure signs, but it shoots best at 2980 fps which is a node that I can also reach easily with H4350 or H4831sc.

My setup is:
6XC II chamber
28" Bartlein 7.4 twist
Peterson small primer brass
CCI 450s
115 DTACs (uncoated) or 105 hybrids

98Vandal I hope you find this useful.

I have been using RL 16 in my 6XC all season and am very happy with the results, which are the same for three consecutive barrels now. Accuracy no worse than H4350 and H4831sc (which were both excellent), and I have not experienced any practical issues with the often-mentioned fact that the powder burns "dirtier" than others. Just clean your brake after each match and follow same barrel cleaning as with other powders.

Speed is better though. I found a node with 105 hybrids at 3160 fps (39.8 gr RL 16) that I cannot reach without mild pressure signs using H4350. I tested RL 16 up to 3230 fps just to explore where pressure would show up and had just barely flattened primers but no sticky bolt. This is with the 105s loaded so that the BT/bearing surface junction is about 1/3 of the way from the neck/shoulder junction, so keep in mind that my safe loads may be significantly higher than yours and follow appropriate safe load workup on your own rifle.

With uncoated DTACs I can push velocity to 3070-3080 before seeing pressure signs, but it shoots best at 2980 fps which is a node that I can also reach easily with H4350 or H4831sc.

My setup is:
6XC II chamber
28" Bartlein 7.4 twist
Peterson small primer brass
CCI 450s
115 DTACs (uncoated) or 105 hybrids

98Vandal I hope you find this useful.
This is extremely thorough and VERY helpful; Thank you paproctor8! I've just started loading for 6XC as I'm new to caliber and greatly appreciate the comprehensive response.

Reactions: 1JoeVandal
You're very welcome. You'll like the XC. Feel free to shoot me a message if I might be of any further assistance as you start working up the load.

Reactions: 98Vandal