• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6XC opinions please

cottonant

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2014
KP
Thinking about a 6XC and will most appreciate opinions, both pro and con.

With almost no 6XC experience I have only a couple of concerns so far:

I wish Norma brass wasn’t the only option (???). The 75 pieces of once fired brass that will come with the gun have a 6.5 grain weight spread. I have 100 pieces of 7 Mag Nosler brass with only a 1.2 grain spread and about 200 pieces of Lapua 260 brass with less than a 1.5 grain spread so 6.5 grains seems excessive. Is this normal for Norma brass?

The Tubb die that would come with the gun seems to work the brass really hard and doesn’t allow for only part of the neck to be sized if bumping the shoulder as well. This should be an easy fix though since Redding sells a separate body die and bushing die. Or, am I missing something, are there advantages with the Tubb die?

Thanks!

I considered going with this round, but decided to stick with 260 Rem, since it has done well for me to 1400 yards or so with loads that are not barrel burners. Berger 140 gr bullet lots of brass readily available.

I have a 6XC and use mostly Norma brass. I sort by weight and notice about 2 1/2 gr of weight diff with a couple odd balls thrown in. This is from 2 diff lots, one purchased about a year ago and one just recently from Grafs. I also have used 22-250 brass and 6.5 Creedmoore brass. The 22-250 much easier to form. But the Norma brass if available is what I prefer.
At first I liked the Tubbs dies because you could bump and resize the neck and was very adjustable. But you are limited to two neck sizes. This was okay with the Norma brass but using the 22-250 stuff, I needed some variance. Just ordered a Redding neck sizing die and will see if that gives me some versatility.
A few weeks ago, Bullets.com had 6XC brass in stock.

I use sized Winchester 22-250 brass in mine. Simple to size, and costs less than the Norma stuff. Admittedly, I've never owned a 6 Creedmoor so I can't comment on that round. I trust Scott's opinion, along with a few others on here that tout the 6 Creed as being great. There are a number of 6mm's out there that will do the job, and are all similar in performance.

I'm a big 6mm fan, having had or presently owning 243, 243, 6x47L, 6x45, 6mmBR and 6XC rifles. The 6x47 never "did" anything for me. It didn't last long here. Forming brass was easy, but I found it to be a little temperamental when loading. The 6mmBR is simply the most accurate of the bunch, but if you want it in a repeater, it can be difficult to get to work 100% of the time. The 6mmBR is fantastic, and I've given it a run in a number of rifles in various configurations, and was never completely confident that it wasn't going to balk when I needed it most. So, when the last 6mmBR went down the road, it's place in my safe was filled with the 6XC. Apart from the 6mmBR, I found the 6XC to be the easiest rifle I've ever developed a load for. The first attempt, my rifle was shooting in the .3's. I don't see it's spot in my safe being vacated any time soon - it is an easy to shoot cartridge, with good performance and inherent accuracy that makes it an excellent choice should you decide to go down that road.

I have a 6XC that is less than a year old, built custom off a 700 action and I love it. I have had really good luck with the Norma brass, the first lot has about 5 reloads on them, and the only ones to go bad were 5 that I loaded WAY too hot and the primer pocket loosened up. Other than that, perfect.

I went with Forster benchrest dies, and couldnt be happier. Bumping the shoulder back slightly, they cycle as easy as factory ammo in a shelf gun with no pressure signs.

Only downfall is brass availability. I get lucky and find a 100ct box every few months.

The preferred reloading materials are H4350 powder, and 105gr Berger Hybrids. Primer is your baby to rock, but I have good luck with Federal Match Primers.

If you get lucky and can get brass, you will enjoy it. Heres my data:

6XC Norma Brass
38.8 H4350
105 Berger Hybrid
Avg: 3050 FPS muzzle.
Krieger MTU 26"
700 trued action

This was the high node @ 40gr, but same results when backing it off.

ETA: 1150yds, foggy morning, could barely see hits, but got 3 on 10"x10" steel, IMO pushing the limits of the little 105.

Last edited:
I run a XC and use redding dies. Specifically the full length bushing die. But a sepperate neck and body sounds like what you would want. I am very happy with the cartridge. Accuracy nodes are large with H4350 and 105's... so large that I had a very difficult time finding "the" load until I moved out several hundred yards. I have two barrels 21 and 25 inches and the longer tube is good for about 75-100fps more using H4350 and 105 Berger Hybrids. [MENTION=91670]6xcKY[/MENTION] we be shooting the same load, LOL... My match load I ran last weekend was 38.8 grains in norma brass w/ the hybrid jumping abou .010 and from the 21" benchmark barrel I had 2903 on a magnetospeed with a ES of 4.

Reforming Winchester brass is simple if you want another brass source and my groups have running around 1-1.5 moa with a ES only in the 30's using varget while doing that... about 75-80% will be nice and tight (talking groups at 600 on a 10" steel plate) with the rest being fliers that swell the group to just over moa.

As for brass quality I notice pressure sooner with Winchester reformed brass but its within a couple tenths of when I see it on the Norma and I have about 9-10 cycles on a few Norma (running about .5 to .7 grains under where pressure signs start showing up on the case head as very light ejector swipes) and the primer pockets are still holding nice and tight.

you can easily expect to get 2900fps or more from the XC, When my 21" barrel was new I got up to 3030fps when ejector swipes were just noticeable with a magnifying glass in good light. So I dropped down to the next lower node at 2970. I have a little over 1200 on the barrel now and I am run nearly the same load (.2 less powder and a change of seating depth) and am at 2903 today. My 25" barrel is easily into 3000 right now and when I hit light signs of pressure I was just over 3100. I will likely back that barrel down to mid to high 2900's and see how long it lasts compared to the short one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caterpillardoc
^^^^ I hit BAD pressure signs when I hit 3125-3150, HEAVY bolt and primer looked like a volcano.

^^^^ I hit BAD pressure signs when I hit 3125-3150, HEAVY bolt and primer looked like a volcano.

I didn't notice the primers on mine as that Remington bolt craters on every thing but IIRC the bolt lift was also a indication as well.

What is the barrel life on a xc vs a rem 260?

A lot of guys on AccurateShooter, including David Tubb himself, have seen 2500 regularly, and 2800+ in some occasions.

But with all barrels, life depends on how hard you push it.

.260, eh, about the same from what I have researched,

What is the barrel life on a xc vs a rem 260?

Not sure... I wish I had not broken my OAL tool, I suspect my thoat has moved about .015 over 1200 rounds on the XC and my 260 has around the same round count and I don't recall it changing that much... I have not burned out either barrel yet.

I would recommend you choose either a 6 creed or 6-6.5x47 over the XC.

The main issue for me is brass, 6.5x47 is vasty superior and better brass than norma XC for just a few dollars more its worth the added expense to run the better lapua brass.

if money is an concern then run the cheaper hornady 6 creed brass.

Not to mention you do not have an issue finding either lapua or hornady brass, XC brass has been hard to come by the past few years.

it is a great cartridge but I feel there are better choices now a days

best of luck.

I wrote a long ass story and some how deleted before posting, here it is drastically shortened......
6 creed > 6xc

I have a 6XC and a 6x47L. I've had several of each in the past as well. They are both great in my opinion. Both are extremely easy to load for. Any charge from 39-40.5 gr of H4350 behind a 105 Hybrid is going to shoot very well for most rifles. From my findings, you can get a little more fps out of the 6x47 with the same charge and less pressure. Also, the 6x47 brass is made to take a higher pressure. I have no complaints about the 6XC brass other than it is sometimes difficult to find. My favorite brass has been and aLways will be the 6-6.5x47 brass. The stuff is built to take a beating. I love the small primers. The pockets never give up. I have some that I've been shooting since 2009 and it's been necked down to 6x47 and necked back up to 6.5x47.

It seems like the only people pushing the 6 Creed are the people that own them and are stuck shooting the less than desirable Hornady brass. The only thing I'd do to a 6 Creed is chop an inch off the end and rechamber to a differnt caliber.

I have a 6XC and a 6x47L. I've had several of each in the past as well. They are both great in my opinion. Both are extremely easy to load for. Any charge from 39-40.5 gr of H4350 behind a 105 Hybrid is going to shoot very well for most rifles. From my findings, you can get a little more fps out of the 6x47 with the same charge and less pressure. Also, the 6x47 brass is made to take a higher pressure. I have no complaints about the 6XC brass other than it is sometimes difficult to find. My favorite brass has been and aLways will be the 6-6.5x47 brass. The stuff is built to take a beating. I love the small primers. The pockets never give up. I have some that I've been shooting since 2009 and it's been necked down to 6x47 and necked back up to 6.5x47.

It seems like the only people pushing the 6 Creed are the people that own them and are stuck shooting the less than desirable Hornady brass. The only thing I'd do to a 6 Creed is chop an inch off the end and rechamber to a differnt caliber.

"I believe the only people pushing anything should own what their pushing,Do you own any of the undesirable hornady 6 creed brass , I'm not knocking the 6x47 as I'd have to agree with you the 6.5 x47 is THE best brass period and so 6x47 is a good choice , but my personal experience is that the hornady brass has been great ,I think some early runs of it may have had some qc issues. But look at the success of the 6.5 creedmoore why has that not been done away with if the hornady brass is so terrible. I guess everyone will have to choose what fits them best and truth be told if it shoots well you will probably be happy with any of these choices.

Thanks so much to all who responded. The gun is already built/available, has had about 125 rounds through it and I have the opportunity to try her out first (hopefully this weekend) so all of the comments are most appreciated!

I have a 6XC that is less than a year old, built custom off a 700 action and I love it. I have had really good luck with the Norma brass, the first lot has about 5 reloads on them, and the only ones to go bad were 5 that I loaded WAY too hot and the primer pocket loosened up. Other than that, perfect.

I went with Forster benchrest dies, and couldnt be happier. Bumping the shoulder back slightly, they cycle as easy as factory ammo in a shelf gun with no pressure signs.

Only downfall is brass availability. I get lucky and find a 100ct box every few months.

The preferred reloading materials are H4350 powder, and 105gr Berger Hybrids. Primer is your baby to rock, but I have good luck with Federal Match Primers.

If you get lucky and can get brass, you will enjoy it. Heres my data:

6XC Norma Brass
38.8 H4350
105 Berger Hybrid
Avg: 3050 FPS muzzle.
Krieger MTU 26"
700 trued action

This was the high node @ 40gr, but same results when backing it off.

ETA: 1150yds, foggy morning, could barely see hits, but got 3 on 10"x10" steel, IMO pushing the limits of the little 105.

Thanks so much for the load data 6xcKY! Can you shared the seating depth your are using to obtain these fine results? Obviously every gun is different but the loads they have run through it so far are .026 into the lands and I'm thinking I have read somewhere that Berger Hybrids (105 in this case) are most likely to prefer being jumped. Thanks!

Thanks so much for the load data 6xcKY! Can you shared the seating depth your are using to obtain these fine results? Obviously every gun is different but the loads they have run through it so far are .026 into the lands and I'm thinking I have read somewhere that Berger Hybrids (105 in this case) are most likely to prefer being jumped. Thanks!

.010" jump has worked well for the 105 hybrids in 3 differnt rifles I have/had.

Same here, .010 off lands, and I measure off bullet shoulder as everyone should and my OAL is 2.021 if I am not mistaken, and lands if around 2.031 range, less than 500 down the barrel so I havent checked lately to see if its grown any.

CottonAnt, fill out your profile information, etc., where are you from? Im sure you have to be close to people you can get hands on with to see what they are experiencing. If your close to Kentucky, your welcome to shoot mine anytime.

Same here, .010 off lands, and I measure off bullet shoulder as everyone should and my OAL is 2.021 if I am not mistaken, and lands if around 2.031 range, less than 500 down the barrel so I havent checked lately to see if its grown any.

CottonAnt, fill out your profile information, etc., where are you from? Im sure you have to be close to people you can get hands on with to see what they are experiencing. If your close to Kentucky, your welcome to shoot mine anytime.

Thanks so much for the offer 6cxKY! I'm down south from you in MS but my business partner is originally a Kentucky boy.

I actually have the gun and plan to shoot it this weekend. .010 off sounds like more along the lines of what I had read but the current loads are jammed. This gun's throat seems shallow since its Berger 105 VLD Hybrid ogive is 2.013 and the COAL is 2.73.

Thanks so much for the offer 6cxKY! I'm down south from you in MS but my business partner is originally a Kentucky boy.

I actually have the gun and plan to shoot it this weekend. .010 off sounds like more along the lines of what I had read but the current loads are jammed. This gun's throat seems shallow since its Berger 105 VLD Hybrid ogive is 2.013 and the COAL is 2.73.

I had originally tried some vld and they shot amazing. But the Hybrid served me better at 1000 and beyond what I could ask for.

Best of luck man, when it comes to 6mm cals like the 6xc, 6CM,and 6x47Lapua, you really cant go wrong.

The 6XC is one of my favorite cartridges. It was easy to load for, and great for all around LR shooting. My honey load was at 41.3gr of H4350 under coated 115gr DTACs, no pressure signs. It was a screaming load, and accurate. I always had good experiences with Norma brass, though it can be a little soft. Overall, a tiny detractor in a sea full of reasons to go 6XC.

The 6XC is one of my favorite cartridges. It was easy to load for, and great for all around LR shooting. My honey load was at 41.3gr of H4350 under coated 115gr DTACs, no pressure signs. It was a screaming load, and accurate. I always had good experiences with Norma brass, though it can be a little soft. Overall, a tiny detractor in a sea full of reasons to go 6XC.

I was going to go with the 115DTACS like David Tubb used, only un-coated, but I couldnt find them anywhere when my rifle was completed so I went with the 105's, and they seem to be great.

I can only imagine how much better the 115 is.

I use the 105 Hybrids in my 6 Creed and they're great, especially when you point them! Accuracy is all about repeatability, which means the fewer variables the better. You have your brass (Norma), your powder (H4350), and now all you have to do is see whether the 105s or 115s shoot better. If the 105s are shooting straight, no need to switch. 6XC is one of my favorite cartridges, and will be the cartridge I build my daughter's first rifle around. It's hard to go wrong with it.