• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6XC reamer advice - bullet selection and 3/4 vs. 1.5 degree lead angle?

hkfan45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2013
Since so many of you gave me such great advice in my previous thread (6.5 vs. 6mm), I thought I would ask SH's best and brightest again. I've decided on the 6XC, but now I need guidance on reamer specs and bullet selection.

I know the reamer specs will likely dictate bullet selection, but bullet selection will also dictate reamer specs. So, my first question is: how did you decide which 6mm bullets to shoot in your 6XC? 115 DTAC, 105 Berger Hybrid, 107 Sierra?

My next question is, when deciding on reamer specs, should I choose one bullet to design my chamber to shoot exclusively, or choose a middle ground/compromise?

And finally, what are your thoughts on the 3/4 (Tubbs) vs 1.5 degree lead angle? Is one more finicky to load for? Barrel wear? More velocity?

For me I want my reamer to work around the brass and bullet I am going to shoot

For a 6mm it would be the 105g Berger Hybrid

My XC reamer has a .274 Neck and .104 FB

If I had to do it over again I would get something a tad shorter .90 to .95 FB

You will be able to shoot any bullet just adjust for thier individual seating depth and run with it

Grizzly.com

No comments on the lead angle, I have found the XC to be very easy to load.

what barrel are you running? I like a .237 6mm 8 twist

Last edited:
For 600 yards and in, basically any ~100+gr bullet will do just great.

For 750+, you'll want the 115 or the 105 hybrid.

For 1000, nothing touches the hybrid in an xc.

The only bullet to run in the 6mm is the 105 Hybrid. :)

My reamer from PTG is a .275 neck and .112 freebore. I told PTG that I planned on shooting the 105 hybrids and this is what they sent. I can forward the print to you if you want to look at it.

PTG stated I should go with 0.140 freebore if I want to shoot 105 and 115 Dtac. This seems a little long for 105. Thoughts?

PTG stated I should go with 0.140 freebore if I want to shoot 105 and 115 Dtac. This seems a little long for 105. Thoughts?
Sounds about right to me. Also, the 3/4 degree throat angle is gimmicky in my book. the standard 1.5 deg throat angle is gentle on the bullet and FB numbers are readily available. If you choose a .75 deg throat angle, the standard FB numbers cannot be used. For example, a 1.5 deg throat with .140 FB might equate to .050FB with a .75 deg throat angle.