• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7-08 scout rifle barrel length

Bigchaza

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2012
AUS NSW
Im looking to build a dedicated hunting scout rifle im wondering where the tipping point is for 7-08. Where betweem 20-16 inch does it really start to loose velocity and what speeds are you getting.

My shortest was 21", in fact chopped 2 700s, both did 2900-2960 w/139s, 120s 3050-3100, and also had a 20" M70 carbine that was a short production, it did 2850 with 120s. Blast was my only beef. 2 sporters, one 700 a Varmint, none with a can.

If you are running a can, blast won't be your issue. Personally if you want a shorty, I'd run a 20-21" bbl if you are not suppressed, for a good handling rifle, good speed, and acceptable blast. That's just my taste. I do not like anything over 23" myself for what I do, and in a 7/08 you can do just fine w/22" or less.

Expect 20-25 fps per inch on average difference, I feel 17-19" is that 'tipping point' you are referring to. My next build will have a 20-21" if that helps you any, and the considerations are 6.5x47, 260, and 7/08, my use as yours, for hunting. IF I could use a suppressor in my state, I might do a little shorter for overall length. I don't think you will be disappointed with a 19-21" if you want something really short and handy in this round.

What bullets do you want to use? I believe heavy bullets show less 'loss' in shorter barrels, but perhaps someone can elaborate.

Im getting 2630fps with 150SMKs out of a 18.5" barrel, going to load some 162 Amaxs and see what I can get with them

My shortest was 21", in fact chopped 2 700s, both did 2900-2960 w/139s, 120s 3050-3100, and also had a 20" M70 carbine that was a short production, it did 2850 with 120s. Blast was my only beef. 2 sporters, one 700 a Varmint, none with a can.

If you are running a can, blast won't be your issue. Personally if you want a shorty, I'd run a 20-21" bbl if you are not suppressed, for a good handling rifle, good speed, and acceptable blast. That's just my taste. I do not like anything over 23" myself for what I do, and in a 7/08 you can do just fine w/22" or less.

Expect 20-25 fps per inch on average difference, I feel 17-19" is that 'tipping point' you are referring to. My next build will have a 20-21" if that helps you any, and the considerations are 6.5x47, 260, and 7/08, my use as yours, for hunting. IF I could use a suppressor in my state, I might do a little shorter for overall length. I don't think you will be disappointed with a 19-21" if you want something really short and handy in this round.

What bullets do you want to use? I believe heavy bullets show less 'loss' in shorter barrels, but perhaps someone can elaborate.

I just finished building my 7mm-08 AI. I'd be VERY interested in what powder(s) you're using to get those velocities?

I'm getting sub-MOA with factory Winchester 140 gr. PP @ 2760... nice surprise! My barrel is a 23" fluted #4 Rock Creek sporter contour on a Stiller Predator SA. Just started load development and I'm seeing 2990 FPS with 46.5 grains of CFE-223 (139 gr. Hornady SST, Federal 215M's & 2.81 Coal) with no pressure signs. Next round I'm planning on using BR-2 primers and a little more powder - I'm already over Hodgdon's most recent max load for this powder.

This is my 7mm-08 and I'm loving it!

hmm true its seems that with the variance barrels of barrel speeds the point were you only lose 20 fps per inch to loosing 50 fps per inch are around the 17-19 inch mark just need some more info anyone have any experience with bartelien barrels in particular as that is the blank i have.

When I ordered my 7-08, I told the smith I wanted a rifle to hunt and shoot targets with. Told him that 99% of my shooting would be 600 and in. Told him he was the smith, build me something I will be happy with.

He built me a 17 inch 7-08 in a manners stock. It shoots great. 140 vld's at ~2550. Shot a deer at 630 and it could not tell that it had been shot with a shorter barreled rifle.

I do think if a person was planning on shooting longer more of the time a couple of inches more barrel might not hurt. That said, I plan on testing this rifle at 800 soon.

Savage sells the 10FCM Scout in .308 and 7.62x39 with 20.5" barrels, listing in the $700-$750 range new/retail. I think that would be fine for the 7-08 as well.

Mine is the 7.62x39, it has the .308 diameter bore, and it shoots very nicely with most ammo, especially well with 110gr V-Max handloads. I believe handloads with SRA 125gr Pro-Hunters or Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tips could make for a decent short-medium range deer gun.

I converted the scope mounting to a conventional on since there is a D/M and no provision for stripper clip feeding, and replaced my original choice of a 2.5-10 Mil-Dot with a 6-24 Mil-Dot because it looks like the performance can take advantage of the additional magnification.

I don't use it for distances in excess of 250yd, and load development is ongoing, but toward the back burner for now.

Greg

Last edited: