• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7-300 Win Bighorn Action

Skyking

Skyking
Minuteman
Had some time to start doing some load development for the new 7-300 win i had built. I think the gun turned out great. I will see how it holds up against my 7wsm,and 7saum. Really liking it so far. Ran into a few problems with the build. I sent it out with a Schneider cyro barrel, came back with a Krieger. Muzzle brake was not turned down, and no relief cut was not made so the suppressor would not screw on all the way. Had to send it over to Moon to get the stuff fixed. I am always the one that has bad luck. Cant wait to get it out and ring the steel. The Berger 180 Hybrids going 3150fps should do the job. Jared from APA rifles makes some of the best rings I have ever used. Really love them. The little bastard brake makes it feel like nothing. Spotting your own shots will be a breeze. And as always you cant beat the Bighorn!

I remove the brake and run a Thunderbeast 30p-1 suppressor. Shooting suppressed really is the only way to go now. Tried H1000 and Retumbo. Both worked good, but was seeing pressure earlier with H1000. Only have 1Lb of Retumbo left and cant find it in stock anywhere. Loading has been easy with Redding 300 win mag neck bushing dies. Here is what I have so far. Should have some video and dope out to 1500 yards soon. Need more powder!

Macmillan Edge A3-5 Adj check piece
Krieger 5.5 contour 27inch Barrel
Jewell Trigger 1lb
Wyatt Box
Bighorn Sporty Long Action
APA Rings
APA Little Bastard
Thunderbeast 30p-1 Suppressor
Nosler Brass
CCI-BR2 Primers
CCI-250 Mag Primers
Berger Hybrid 180
Reamer .200 Freebore
.316 neck
COAL 3.700

H1000
74 Avg 3095
74.5 Avg 3157 SD 6
75 Avg 3162 Started seeing Pressure
75.5 Avg 3191
76 Avg 3215

Retumbo
73.5 Avg 3128
74 Avg 3152
74.5 Avg 3180 Started seeing Pressure Stopped

M1740001_zpsdb5895cd.jpg

M1740004_zps00f6826f.jpg

M1740002_zpsbed3e415.jpg

M1740003_zpsb8d5df44.jpg

M1740016_zps1f009ec6.jpg

M1750003_zps8055826c.jpg

M1750004_zps4e95f785.jpg

I really like the paint done on your stock. I've been wanting to try a MCM A3 or a Manners T-1 or T-6 but keep hearing from everyone to stick with the T-4 style stocks. Looks like it shoots pretty dang well also, enjoy.

Great looking stick. I was not aware that you could get an Edge stock with adjustable cheek rest. How is the balance?

Sorry, it was just the edge fill not the shell.

I have only taken this out to the 100 yard range a few times for load work. I mostly shoot my 7saum because it is threaded for the Thunderbeast. My GAP 7wsm is not yet.

"I sent it out with a Schneider cyro barrel, came back with a Krieger."
WOW-This is a story worth telling! Are you saying you sent your action with a Schneider cryo barrel and the smith 'swapped' your tube with a different brand? (Even though Krieger is top shelf) The first time you knew about it was when you had the weapon returned? Please post the name of the smith, I (and I'm sure others on this board) would like to know as we will be able to steer clear of this guy. Quite frankly-if this happend as I've asked -this is theft.

"I sent it out with a Schneider cyro barrel, came back with a Krieger."
WOW-This is a story worth telling! Are you saying you sent your action with a Schneider cryo barrel and the smith 'swapped' your tube with a different brand? (Even though Krieger is top shelf) The first time you knew about it was when you had the weapon returned? Please post the name of the smith, I (and I'm sure others on this board) would like to know as we will be able to steer clear of this guy. Quite frankly-if this happend as I've asked -this is theft.

i am fairly certain that is not what happened, i think he had it re-barreled

That's a really sweet looking stick you have.I like the paint a lot.Congrats

I am not going to give out his name. He is well known here. I sent all the brand new parts out to have this gun built and painted. When he did the chamber job he screwed it up. Said it would not shoot good and the shoulder looked really ruff. Took the barrel back to his shop and cut it up to look at the chamber. Said it was no good. So that is where the different barrel came from. He stood behind his work and made it right. Only took about a week longer to get the new barrel one and fixed. I never did tel him I had the old barrel cryoed. Hey he could of never told me, and just sent it out with a bad chamber job. So I could not get too mad. I was not happy with the muzzle break and thread job on it it though. Told me to have the local machine shop fix it. HaHa. So I called Moon said he would take care of it.

It's going to be tough to keep the identity a secret. The company name is visible in those pictures.

Last edited:
I'm curious why he had to cut your barrel apart to see the chamber? Did he try to rechamber it first and have the same result? If that was the case it would sound like a reamer issue, but either way as long as you are happy with the end product who cares. It turned out nice, I really like the paint. I've been kicking around that same caliber for a lityle while now.

3.700" COAL?

Did I read that right?

Hot damn, thats a long short-mag!

ETA: Re-read the OP. 7mm-300WM, not 7mm-300WSM.

Interested to hear rationale on choosing this cartridge...?

Last edited:
3.700" COAL?

Did I read that right?

Hot damn, thats a long short-mag!

ETA: Re-read the OP. 7mm-300WM, not 7mm-300WSM.

Interested to hear rationale on choosing this cartridge...?

My guess is being to push the 180s at 31-3200, Ultra high brass availability, and Simple forming?

I'm really diggin that arctic digicam. Looks tuff! Also I'm gonna have to learn more about that brake, as you said it really tames the recoil. If I actually do go with the 7mm practical mag, I sure hope it will produce groups and velocities equivalent to what you're posting. Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Was able to get out today and my first ladder test in the snow and wind. Was really happy with the results.

Loads went
Retumbo

I did three loads of these, and colored the bullet tips with different colored markers. I shot the 7 rounds then waited 10min before shooting the next 7.

Shot at 500 yards with the same aim point on all rounds.

Ended up with 1/2 inch of vertical between 73-73.7 on 7 rounds at 500 yards. You cant beat that.

Great looking rifle and definately a shooter. Nice to see something a little different for a change.

Regards,
Paul

Only have 1Lb of Retumbo left and cant find it in stock anywhere.

Set up email alerts. I have seen availability from a couple different retailers since assholes started buying it all up and flipping it on gunbroker for ridiculous money.

Interesting build, I really like the caliber, components, and that awesome stock color. Keep us updated when you really get to stretch its legs some. Another quick note, how come you never told your smith that you paid to have the barrel cryoed? It would seem like that would be money you would like to recoup. Also, the money you paid to have the barrel threaded, was that ever reimbursed as well? Seems like a great build, and glad Moon got it squared away.

Nice build.
I like the caliber. I have a 7 Rogue from R Bros that is a hammer with the 180's.
For a 7 mm I think these calibers are about perfect for case capacity and the 180's.

Interesting build, I really like the caliber, components, and that awesome stock color. Keep us updated when you really get to stretch its legs some. Another quick note, how come you never told your smith that you paid to have the barrel cryoed? It would seem like that would be money you would like to recoup. Also, the money you paid to have the barrel threaded, was that ever reimbursed as well? Seems like a great build, and glad Moon got it squared away.

Cause i figured I would never get it out of him and did not want to fight it. Tired of all the excuses why the gun was not done in the first place. I worked something out with Moon. No money out of my pocket to get things fixed. Moon's that kind of guy.

Nice to hear he took care of you. It's also a really awesome stick. When you get that retumbo, some pics and video (if you can swing it) of you stretching it out would be sweet. Thanks.

Good looking rig Sky.... I'm should be within weeks, if not days, from getting a 7mm Rogue from RBros like Bluejazz mentioned. Mine will have a 28"bbl. I'm itching to see how the 7-300 & 180s buck the West TX wind....Let us know how she does. Enjoy!!

Bare in mind I am contemplating my next build (a magnum or super magnum). I have ran the numbers on the shooter app and a 300wm with 230's @ 2800 out preform in the wind better than the 180 7mm at 3200fps at 1000 yds.

A friend of mine and I are thinking 300 hulk or 7mm hulk but the 230 berger way out performs the 7 at distances beyond 1000 yds. So I suppose the determining factor is how often your shooting past 1000.

Good looking rig Sky.... I'm should be within weeks, if not days, from getting a 7mm Rogue from RBros like Bluejazz mentioned. Mine will have a 28"bbl. I'm itching to see how the 7-300 & 180s buck the West TX wind....Let us know how she does. Enjoy!!

Couldn't turn up any info on 7mm Rouge on a quick google, what is this cartridge?

I talked with Travis when he was working on his Rouge and was still in the testing phase, and did not have anything ready soon. What?s New » R Bros Rifles

Look at your number again. Don't think it way out performs the 7mm.

set up. station pressure 25.6 temp 40 wind 5mph from 9 o'clock
7mm 180 hybrid3200fps 1500 yards 35.7 moa drop 3.4moa drift 1575fps 992.4lbs
300 wm 230 hybrid 2800fps 1500 yards 45.4 moa drop 3.7moa drift 1414fps 1021lbs

Last edited:
Skyking
I am running the 180's at 3150 as well out of my 26" Broughton.
Was shooting out to 1300 yards this winter when I was down in Texas.
Again, if you are looking for a 7 mm, building off the 300 WM case is a great way to go.

Skyking
Again, if you are looking for a 7 mm, building off the 300 WM case is a great way to go.

I'm considering building a 7x300 win and would like it hear little more detail from those who has them. Can a 7x300 be made to run through a AICS 300 win mag with. COAL of 3.6 or shorter and not get the 180 to far in case. Form what I've measured it should be good but I'm no expert by any means. Next would a 1-8/5 twist be to fast for this caliber I already have 2 barrels that I could use for this if they will work?
I looked at the Rouge and I like the long neck and the 30-35 degree shoulder (not sure).How hard is it to form brass for the Rouge and were to get dies?
Any and all data will be greatly appreciated.

Skyking

I'm considering building a 7x300 win and would like it hear little more detail from those who has them. Can a 7x300 be made to run through a AICS 300 win mag with. COAL of 3.6 or shorter and not get the 180 to far in case. Form what I've measured it should be good but I'm no expert by any means. Next would a 1-8/5 twist be to fast for this caliber I already have 2 barrels that I could use for this if they will work?
I looked at the Rouge and I like the long neck and the 30-35 degree shoulder (not sure).How hard is it to form brass for the Rouge and were to get dies?
Any and all data will be greatly appreciated.

Not hard to form brass, just fl size 300 WM brass in 7 Rogue die and shoot it.
I was shooting out to 1300 yards this winter with virgin brass, great accuracy.

Not hard to form brass, just fl size 300 WM brass in 7 Rogue die and shoot it.
I was shooting out to 1300 yards this winter with virgin brass, great accuracy.

Bluejazz what is your coal.

Skyking, you have excellent tastes in rifles.

The caliber interests me....Ive got a 7mm barrel coming from Bartlein for my DTA that Im trying to figure out what to do with it. So whats the brass process on this...what case do you start with?

Be careful running that large of a charge on the Thunderbeast 30P-1 or 30BA. You are taking them to the threshold of performance and they may suffer damage after extended use.
I know Ray usually suggest the 338P or 338BA for magnum type calibers.

Skyking, you have excellent tastes in rifles.

The caliber interests me....Ive got a 7mm barrel coming from Bartlein for my DTA that Im trying to figure out what to do with it. So whats the brass process on this...what case do you start with?

Thanks man. Its really easy. Start with 300win brass and Redding type s neck bushing. I size using a .322 bushing then run that brass back through with a .312 bushing to finish. Then shot. I started turning the necks just to clean them up on the Nosler brass, and had to drop down to a .311 bushing to get a little more neck tension. I already had a Forster 7mm rem mag seating die that I use. I have been seating the bullets way out there COAL of 3.700 which will barley fit in my guns bottom metal. I have started messing with seating depth for something on the shorter length, do to all the PM's asking if they can run in the mag guns. I will get the pictures up shortly.

Thanks man. Its really easy. Start with 300win brass and Redding type s neck bushing. I size using a .322 bushing then run that brass back through with a .312 bushing to finish. Then shot. I started turning the necks just to clean them up on the Nosler brass, and had to drop down to a .311 bushing to get a little more neck tension. I already had a Forster 7mm rem mag seating die that I use. I have been seating the bullets way out there COAL of 3.700 which will barley fit in my guns bottom metal. I have started messing with seating depth for something on the shorter length, do to all the PM's asking if they can run in the mag guns. I will get the pictures up shortly.
Cory did it again! Mang i still havent got my 7saum and here you are again with another 7's.. anyway i did say i was going with wsm but i fliped to saum instead :(

Very cool. Looks like you've got a hell of a shooter, would love to see some groups at distance

Sent from my POS phone using Tapatalk 2

Had some time to start doing some load development for the new 7-300 win i had built. I think the gun turned out great. I will see how it holds up against my 7wsm,and 7saum. Really liking it so far. Ran into a few problems with the build. I sent it out with a Schneider cyro barrel, came back with a Krieger. Muzzle brake was not turned down, and no relief cut was not made so the suppressor would not screw on all the way. Had to send it over to Moon to get the stuff fixed. I am always the one that has bad luck. Cant wait to get it out and ring the steel. The Berger 180 Hybrids going 3150fps should do the job. Jared from APA rifles makes some of the best rings I have ever used. Really love them. The little bastard brake makes it feel like nothing. Spotting your own shots will be a breeze. And as always you cant beat the Bighorn!

I remove the brake and run a Thunderbeast 30p-1 suppressor. Shooting suppressed really is the only way to go now. Tried H1000 and Retumbo. Both worked good, but was seeing pressure earlier with H1000. Only have 1Lb of Retumbo left and cant find it in stock anywhere. Loading has been easy with Redding 300 win mag neck bushing dies. Here is what I have so far. Should have some video and dope out to 1500 yards soon. Need more powder!

Macmillan Edge A3-5 Adj check piece
Krieger 5.5 contour 27inch Barrel
Jewell Trigger 1lb
Wyatt Box
Bighorn Sporty Long Action
APA Rings
APA Little Bastard
Thunderbeast 30p-1 Suppressor
Nosler Brass
CCI-BR2 Primers
CCI-250 Mag Primers
Berger Hybrid 180
Reamer .200 Freebore
.316 neck
COAL 3.700

H1000
74 Avg 3095
74.5 Avg 3157 SD 6
75 Avg 3162 Started seeing Pressure
75.5 Avg 3191
76 Avg 3215

Retumbo
73.5 Avg 3128
74 Avg 3152
74.5 Avg 3180 Started seeing Pressure Stopped

M1740001_zpsdb5895cd.jpg

M1740004_zps00f6826f.jpg

M1740002_zpsbed3e415.jpg

M1740003_zpsb8d5df44.jpg

M1740016_zps1f009ec6.jpg

M1750003_zps8055826c.jpg

M1750004_zps4e95f785.jpg

sorry cory i need to put this thread back in life..is this the reamer to use for hybrids 180?

I'm still waiting on mine from Gradous. H1000 and Retumbo are unobtanuim right now so I bought 16lbs of 7828ssc that has a burn very close to H1000 with the hopes that it works well in this caliber. The Berger manual shows 7828ssc as having speeds greater that H1000 in heavy 300 win and in the big 7's.

SkyKing,

Nice build,
I have an almost identical build as yours,accept mine sits on an AICS 2.0 chassi.
What is your trimmed case oal?