• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7-300prc headspace question

6cmShooter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2019
Tucson, Arizona
I finally got my 7mm-300prc prefit barrel in for my Arc CDG action. After installing it and torqueing it to spec I checked the headspace and here's where my question is. It closes on the go gauge no issues but it also closes on the no go gauge with a little effort when I put a piece of clear tape on the back the bolt will not close. Is the chamber out of spec and I need to send the barrel back or is this OK. Never had this before on a prefit barrel. The gauge are rentals for 4d reamer rental and the gauge maker is ptg.

It’ll be fine, that’ll match basically every factory rifles headspace where they never want to have phone calls about chambering tight brass.

And since you’ll be necking down you can semi false shoulder by not sizing the neck down the entire way and go trial and error bit by bit based on bolt feel during chambering the rounds to ensure minimal case growth if you were super anal about it.

In my opinion, the bolt should not close with little effort on the No-Go Gauge.

I wouldn´t want a Headspace that long as a Reloader, cause it means the Brass will flow towards the Neck/Shoulder and the worst case could be a case head seperation after a few firings and your Brass is gone.

A Method that i often see and which seems to be good: Closing on the Go-Gauge with minimal effort, putting Tape on back of the Go-Gauge and it should not close, that means, you have minimal Headspace and long Brass Life.

I´m not aware if there is a guarenteed Headspace on the CDG Action and if there is one, than the Chamber is cut a little bit too deep in my Opinion.