• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 7/338 Norma Mag

flims

Rifletalks.com
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2008
UK
www.rifletalks.com
Has anyone necked down the norma case to a 7mm? I was thinking of getting a new barrel for my XL action and chamber it in this caliber.

Which bullet are you using if you've have already gone down this path and what performance are you getting?

Re: 7/338 Norma Mag

I get 3,200 fps from a Berger 180 Hybrid using a 7 Dakota (92 gr. H2O capacity; 32" barrel using Retumbo). I know folks shooting the 7/300WM (I forget what they call this wildcat) are getting similar results; I think Steve123 and his 7/375 Ruger gets similar results as well.

I see no reason to take the next step to the 338NM case, at least not right now. Maybe the new Berger 195 will make it worth while, but that bullet exists only on paper. They better test it to go at least 3,200 fps. I don't expect to see it publicly tested until June possibly July 2013, with public sales maybe by the end of 2013... assuming the testing goes well.

JeffVN