• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s 7.4 Eartquake Hits Japan, 5 Meter Tsunami Expected

Hard to imagine the ground moving a foot or two in oscillation.

We had a 5.2 with the center in Sparta a few years back but it just shook some dishes.

When my family lived in Twentynine Palms, CA we went to visit Big Bear Mountain and woke up to the Landers-Big Bear earthquake of '92. I think it was a 7.2 or 7.3 and that was super scary being a kid and having the earth move like that for so long. Thought the cabin we rented was going to fall on us. Had been in plenty of quakes up to that point but that was the first time I saw roads split like in the movies.

When my family lived in Twentynine Palms, CA we went to visit Big Bear Mountain and woke up to the Landers-Big Bear earthquake of '92. I think it was a 7.2 or 7.3 and that was super scary being a kid and having the earth move like that for so long. Thought the cabin we rented was going to fall on us. Had been in plenty of quakes up to that point but that was the first time I saw roads split like in the movies.
I was in 29 palms for that one.

Go Go GODZILLA

Anyone see them live late 70s/early 80s and remember the intro to that song (Philly Spectrum) ...I know it started off with a teenager smoking a bowl in their bedroom and ends with...this. Shame I can't find the whole thing. I heard first time that lasers used in a Rock concert:

I was in 29 palms for that one.
I was in SoCal for that one, it (to me) wasn't that bad.
The worst I ever felt was living in LA when the 'Saugus-Newhall' quake hit.....it stone rolled me out of bed and dropped my ass on the floor.
If I remember right it was 7.1-7.2 or so......but it was not a rolling motion like most, it was a hard slamming jolt.
Probably been thru 6-8 that were 6.0 and higher but no way I can really recall all of them.

The instrument that was installed at the Pacoima Dam recorded a peak horizontal acceleration of 1.25 g, a value that was twice as large as anything ever seen from an earthquake. The extraordinarily high acceleration was just one part of the picture, considering that duration and frequency of shaking also play a role in how much damage can occur. The accelerometer was mounted on a concrete platform on a granite ridge just above one of the arch dam's abutments. Cracks formed in the rocks and a rock slide came within 15 feet (4.6 m) of the apparatus, and the foundation remained undamaged, but a small (half-degree) tilt of the unit was discovered that was apparently responsible for closing the horizontal pendulum contacts. As a result of what was considered a fortunate accident, the machine kept recording for six minutes (until it ran out of paper) and provided scientists with additional data on 30 of the initial aftershocks

Who knew ?

Is that the one that hit at Joshua Tree? I was just east of there and almost go thrown out of my bed. No where to run.
I was 10 years old living through it and don't remember specifics but the internet shows the one I was in had an epicenter in Landers and it lasted 2-3 minutes. I remember specifically that it seemed like lasted forever. Didn't think it would ever stop. I had been in some low 6 magnitude quakes up to that point but this one was intense. IIRC there were 3 magnitude 6 aftershocks. I remember watching on the news the live reports and another aftershock would hit and a minute or so later we'd feel it. Was kind of wild.

Did find the Joshua Tree earthquake was in April '92 and the one I'm referring to was in June. Same relative timeframe and location.

IMG_8393.jpeg

IMG_8392.jpeg

Any Earthquake in the Pacific is triggers Tsunami warning. The big ones (Tsunamis) are caused by either land slides or subduction zones.

CA sadly won't get a mega Tsunami.

OR/WA--- Yer forked.

1704152754000.png

I was in SoCal for that one, it (to me) wasn't that bad.
The worst I ever felt was living in LA when the 'Saugus-Newhall' quake hit.....it stone rolled me out of bed and dropped my ass on the floor.
If I remember right it was 7.1-7.2 or so......but it was not a rolling motion like most, it was a hard slamming jolt.
Probably been thru 6-8 that were 6.0 and higher but no way I can really recall all of them.

Who knew ?
That year I was back and forth from 29 palms to Huntington beach, I was in one there that sloshed half the pool water out. I was second story looking down at the pool

The buildings in Japan are built so much better to handle the earthquake. I lived in so cal till 2005 and have been through plenty of quakes. One of the bigger quakes we were out riding our dirtbikes when it hit and everyone that was back at camp was all freaked out, and we had no idea.