• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62 and 5.56 mag pouch

TACTICAL45

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 17, 2007
    Where ever they send me...
    I am looking for a triple 7.62 (20 rnd Pmag style) pouch that will also hold 5.56 (30 rnd issue or Pmag style) mags. I have done some research and found some information, but not enough to get a good feeling of such a system. It will be going on a PIG BRIG CR, All-Molle [SYSTEMA] . I have seen that some say a triple pouch that holds two 5.56 mags per pouch will fit the 1 20 rnd 308 Pmag per pouch. That would be fine, but what system does it correctly? If I have to adjust the velcro/elastic keeper to fit either mag that is ok, I just want to but the right system the first time.

ETA: Found this great video should someone have any questions, hope this helps the next person.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CMKj8QVsYu8

Last edited:
    OP, if you want 'the right system the first time' you need to explain its use.

Three words without which any advice given is a shot in the dark:

For
    What
    Purpose

At the range I love tacos. But at night, crawling around, I want full flaps.

OP, if you want 'the right system the first time' you need to explain its use.

Three words without which any advice given is a shot in the dark:

For
    What
    Purpose

At the range I love tacos. But at night, crawling around, I want full flaps.

Roger that, seeing how I practice with what I use, it will have range time and field time. When and why do you get a chance to crawl around at night?

Last edited:
    Ok, so now I am near the end of recovery from surgery. I am back to figuring out a solution to this.

To address some of the questions above:
    1) If the pouch does not secure the mag(s) on it's own, I want a retention strap/cord of some sort for each individual mag (bungee style or velcro is fine)
    2) I will be doing just about everything, standing, dismounting, walking, running, riding in vic, laying prone if needed.

I like the looks of the Taco's, but the ones I seen do not have a over the top of mag style of retention. If they would fit both 5.5. and .308 PMAG's, it would all be over. I have no experience with them, so the decision is not easy to make. I have dedicated mag pouches, but they are caliber specific. I want a very good all around mag pouch. I understand that if fits both, it won't be perfect for either. I buy my own gear, so spending $20.00 to $40.00 a item (to find out it won't work and then try to resell at a loss, well you know how it goes) is not exactly cost effective. If you have any more questions or ides, please post. I appreciate the help.

If you want fast access and be able to carry both 556/762 the tacos will do that. With that said, I've seen guys using them under more stressful physical activity and mags fall on the ground. Yes there is an adjustment and no I didn't quiz them about it when I saw it but that doesn't mean I haven't seen it a number of times. I personally don't use them as I would rather sacrifice a tiny bit of speed for absolute retention.

With that said my preference is velcro closed top pouches and yes, if they hold 2x556 then they will hold 1x762. Some pouches do this better than others and the ones I like are eagle and the much easier to get and every bit as good if not better First Spear. The First Spear 6/9 attachments work with standard molle and will be lighter and slimmer.

Another alternative I've seen quite a bit and have never witnessed retention issues are the ITW fastmags but now you are talking caliber specific again but they are quite fast.

Maybe the blue force 10speed pouches with the whisper backing? I've put pistol mags in 5.56 pouches without much issue but I'm sure there are better solutions.

jdr724,
    I agree, retention, retention, retention. I am in the military, so velcro I know how to work around with speed. It is a second nature for me to rip up, grip pull, insert all in one motion. I may end going that way, I just wanted to see if others found a better solution that may be faster.
    Thanks for the info, unfortunately, it was what I expected, that's why I didn't just run out and buy the newest mall ninja cool thing. I have seen and talked to many when I had the chance, but the run caliber specific, so their options are greater than mine.

FUNCTIONAL,
    I have seen them in action, they have a few drawbacks;
    1) No over the top retention
    2) If they get snagged on something, they tilt forward and can dump a mag on you ( and could actually stretch out the material, whereas a bungee strap can be replaced easy and cheap)
    3) Try to reinsert a mag at speed

I am knocking you, you didn't make them. I know you were just putting out a idea, I appreciate it.

Who knows, maybe a mag maker may see this post and develop something that will work? That would definitely be a money maker for them.

I just gave up and went with a bunch of different caliber specific rigs bacause I'm not changing all the molle every time before I head out. However now I know I have the right tool for the job without the hassle every time.

+1 on the HSGI Tacos. 1) They are flexible. You can fit almost anything in them: ar15 mags, 308, AK or even smoke grenade or can of beer. 2) They are also fast. Extraction is almost as fast as kydex. Reinsertion is a little bit slower, but once you learn the 'rock back in' technique it's pretty quick and you can do it one handed. 3) Finally, they are secure. Retention is adjustable and you can cinch them down pretty tight. There is a top retention option if you want more retention. There are loops at the top of the pouch that allow you to add a bungie tab to hold the top of the mag in down.

The one possible downside is that they use elastic cord as the retention system. This can wear out, get snagged and cut. But IMHO everything can be damaged and I don't think they are any more vulnerable to damage any other system. Personally, I prefer the cord system over velcro because I have had velcro wear out and get caked with mud to the point they are become ineffective. I have not had any problems with hsgi tacos. I was really worried about snagging issue, but I have not found they are more prone to snagging.

I like the taco pouches but buy the elastic to run over the top of them when they're not going to be used t
    Soon. For some reason, the things force my mags out over time (particularly the pistol mag holders on front of rifle pouches). This is regardless of how loose or tight I have the cords.

Thanks for the replies, anyone have a god source for the bungee cord? Also, do you know of way to "seal" the end of the cord? I have tried a lighter on my uniform cargo pockets and it doesn't seem to work very well, plus the smell. ( unlike 550 cord) I don't plan on running pistol mags on the front of them, they go on my belt.

Before you go all in I would try the over the top bungee method. To me reinsertion blows with that setup.

Too bad you can't get the Eagle FB M4 open top pouches with any regularity any more.

Thanks for the replies, it looks like I am going with the TACO's. Also, do you know of way to "seal" the end of the cord? I have tried a lighter on my uniform cargo pockets and it doesn't seem to work very well, plus the smell. ( unlike 550 cord) I don't plan on running pistol mags on the front of them, they go on my belt.

After some more research, they sell the over the top shock cord with the pull tab right on HSGI. It's like their best kept secret that no one knows about.