• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62 BCG potential issue

Astrohog

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2012
Constableville, NY
I purchased a nickel boron bcg from an online retailer. I noticed tooling marks on the carrier rails so I sent them the images of the marks. They said they don't see any issues, what do you guys think.

ezerebas.jpg

eme9ejyz.jpg

The toolmarks were definitely not smoothed out prior to plating.
Will it hurt it's functionality? Doubt it but only shooting it will tell.
It does show a lack of workmanship.

Your pics aren't good, but I don't see any immediately concerning issues with that BCG or with any deep/excessive tool marks.

Some of the plated/coated BCGs I have seen have what appear to me to be considerably WORSE tools marks than what I am able to make out in your pics above to the point that they look as though they were large/deep enough that they'd remove aluminum from an upper like a rasp from a piece of wood. While your BCG may not have had a quality polish/clean-up job done on it before it went to be plated/coated, I don't see any cause for alarm or for not running it based on those pics.

How does it fit/"feel" in your upper (just manually inserting the carrier, etc.)?

If it sounds that bad and/or is causing any marring/wear/tear on your upper receiver just from a couple hand charges/cocking of the rifle, I'd send it back if that's an option. (Even if it isn't causing wear/tear...if you aren't happy with it for the money you paid, get your money back and source a quality part elsewhere). No sense in running poorly QC'd products in your rifle that may cause/contribute to failures or premature wear/tear on your expensive upper. There are far too many high quality .308 BCGs on the market to run ones that are lacking!

Out of curiosity, and not wanting to start a flame war on anybody/any product, what make/model BCG is it and where did you buy it?

Hmmm. Not a very good job staking the gas key either. Is that a DRD carrier?

I was typing my last response as the OP was uploading the addt'l pics, but I have to agree. Not great by any means. I'm betting you could spin those right out without too much effort if you tried. Also, is that threadlocker of some sort or just crud around the rearward screw?

I had the same issue with a NiB BCG that I bought and installed in a Mega 308 late last year. I also had some extraction issues and Rainier Arms took back the BCG without any hassle. I don't know if they would have done so had I complained [only] about the machining--I didn't bring it up.

From my limited research, many of these BCG were made my the now-defunct 762 Industries, and sold through a number of respected re-sellers. When I web searched, results indicated that a) yes, the zip sound indicated the machining wasn't as refined as it should be (especially for the price); and b) it may or may not accelerate wear in the upper.

With a different bolt/ barrel, I ordered a carrier from Fulton Armory and the machining was better/ normal. FA now offers chrome and phos carriers.

That seems to be crud in rearward screw. The staking does suck but that can be fixed.

Also, there is a lot more slop in the carrier to receiver fitment than my other ar15 ones.

The vendor (aim surplus) said they would take it back, but I would have to pay shipping and loose the 3% cc fee. Also if they could not resell it there would be a 15% restocking fee.

I sent them these images and they send they don't see any issues, but they would take a better look when they received it.

Last edited:
That's a pretty @#$$% return/refund policy. I would expect better from Bryan/the folks at AIM, but alas...it is what it is. You'll either eat the ~$30 in return charges and S&H or you'll lose it on the retail side trying to sell a .308 BCG with known QC issues. Either way...you are on the losing end of things.

I would almost guarantee you that if they have any detailed images on their site of the product in question that they look 100% clean and free from any machining marks, staking that's off, etc. If so, you might pull that card and see if anything changes their mind. Also, you might check in on their Industry forum page on BARFCOM and see if anyone else has had similar issues and if so, how they were addressed/resolved. If you are having issues, I'm betting its not the first or the only case around especially if these are rebranded 762 Industries/DRD/like products being sold by AIM.

So is the consensus I should send it back or just run it.

I was told by aim that the staking is milspec and there is nothing wrong with it. They also said that I would most likely not have to pay the 15% restocking fee.

Looks l would be out about $12 if I sent it back.

Meh, those tool marks aren't too bad, I personally wouldn't worry about it. There shouldn't be any functional effects.

Well I've had good luck with AIM but you get what you pay for and they certainly are a "bargain bin" shop. It looks fine to them because it is representative of what they deal in. Only a guess here, but I bet it would function like any other production carrier and after a couple hundred rounds or so you wouldn't be able to notice the imperfections and would stop being concerned about it.

I am just going to run it! If it runs the receiver I will just blame you guys.

Just kidding. I won't blame you. Thanks for all the help.