• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7.62 NATO or 308 reloading?

AustinR

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
Southern Illinois
Hello,

I'm new to reloading. I've read up on reloading and I'm only going to observe the first handloads made for my rifle, but I have a few questions on brass.

I have been shooting LC and WRA '67 M80 rounds and have a good amount of brass from these lots. I'm wanting to do loads with 168, 175 and 200 SMK and be able to make repeatable hits to around 800 yards.

1. Would NATO brass be sufficient for a 200 grain Sierra Matchking with 40-43 grains of powder? All I've read on 200 grain bullets with a 308 have used better commercial 308 brass. And would the reduced volume in NATO brass decrease the ideal powder load?

2. For 168 and 175 grain bullets, can the accuracy that you guys have with lapua brass be repeated with NATO brass?

Ultimately, I'm trying to decide if I should purchase lapua brass or try reloading my NATO brass.

Thank you for tolerating my ignorance,

Austin

Re: 7.62 NATO or 308 reloading?

id get the lapua brass. I think it's worth the money.

it will be superior to the "nato" brass ( im not sure what that is , you mean LC or WCC ? )

if the nato brass has a lower case capacity then the lapua ,then the lapua will be able to handle more powder which means higher velocity.

you should think about the smallest group you can get from a particular charge weight , and not focus on a maximum charge weight or high velocity.

i wouldn't hesitate on the lapua brass

I'd personally just rock on with the NATO brass.

I've had great luck with many headstamps... IVI, WCC, LC, WRA, TWA and others.

In fact, my MV with 45.5gr in nato brass is the same as my MV with 45.5 in Lapua.

No need to spend a bunch of money on Lapua, especially when learning the ins/outs of reloading.

I don't know about the 200 grain bullet loads.

Lapua brass would be a more consistant brass unless you have a large quantity of one case.

The LC and WRA brass will be different than each other for loads. Just because they are loaded to a NATO spec doesn't mean the brass is the same just the velocity and accuracy of te round falls into the specification for M80 ball.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about the 200 grain bullet loads.

Lapua brass would be a more consistant brass unless you have a large quantity of one case.

The LC and WRA brass will be different than each other for loads. Just because they are loaded to a NATO spec doesn't mean the brass is the same just the velocity and accuracy of te round falls into the specification for M80 ball. </div></div>

I know that is a "textbook answer", but in the real world, I just haven't seen that to be the case.

My rifle will EASILY shoot a sub-moa 10 round group with intermixed/random nato headstamps and Lapua - all charged the same.

I can tell the brass is different (especially in annealing) and I think I'm going to only reload the WRA brass as it seems fairly consistent.

I got the NATO rounds for free, which is why they are more attractive than spending 70 cents on each piece of brass. But, I'd rather not have a bullet fly inconsistently because of a piece of brass when I invest in a hunting trip.

The reason I'm thinking of using some 200 grain SMK bullets is because I wound up with a box of it when I won a group of boxes of bullets at auction and someone switched out a bunch of 338s for it.

I know muzzle velocity only matters for drift drop and stabilization of target loads, but I'm looking to drop a hog and want as long of an effective range as possible with effective groupings.

Thank you for all of the replies!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about the 200 grain bullet loads.

The LC and WRA brass will be different than each other for loads. Just because they are loaded to a NATO spec doesn't mean the brass is the same just the velocity and accuracy of te round falls into the specification for M80 ball. </div></div>

I know that is a "textbook answer", but in the real world, I just haven't seen that to be the case.

My rifle will EASILY shoot a sub-moa 10 round group with intermixed/random nato headstamps and Lapua - all charged the same. </div></div>
Ive found this to be true as well. I shoot great groups with winchester, LC, Hornady and nosler brass all mixed in with the same charge weights.
I would not spend the small fortune on Lapua brass unless it was for a precision bolt gun. For a semi auto that is going to beat the crap out of the brass, Id for sure stick to the LC or whatever else you can get for a good price

By the way - I wouldn't, and don't show up to an Fclass match with mixed NATO brass. That's what Lapua is for.

Training and tactical matches where you're under time pressure and can't touch off "perfect" shots? NATO is good to go.

I'd measure the water volume of the LC against some Lapua or some Winchester brass. I'm getting 53.7 gr out of LC09 0.014 neck wall. 53.2 for Winchester. Not sure where the reported 56 gr. comes from. As long as the case volume is the same you can load it the same as other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way - I wouldn't, and don't show up to an Fclass match with mixed NATO brass. That's what Lapua is for.

Training and tactical matches where you're under time pressure and can't touch off "perfect" shots? NATO is good to go. </div></div>

Thanks! I'll keep my NATO then.

Yeah, for starters, use what you got and don't worry about it. Try to keep separated the different headstamps with the bullets, like LC brass for the 200 grain bullets, etc.

But, I see no need to buy Lapua right away. Yes, it is, by all acclaim, the best. But, you can still do quite well with another brand.

Read the above, (Turbo54) sig line for inspiration. BB

I don't know about "textbook answers". In my NMA2 loading 52 SMK's and 25 grains of H335 I can slow fire PMC and LC cases and come up with two groups centered 2 inches apart at 100 yards, same velocity. In my .308 Match Garand 150 SMK and 44.4 grains of RL15 in LC LR cases and CAVIM cases are 100 fps different.