• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62 RC2 mini vs RC2 vs 300SPS

FatBoy

After 20 years, going anonymous..
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2001
TN
I think I’m going to buy another can this week and I have been eyeing a the 7.62 RC2 mini. I have access to one, and will likely try it this week on my URG-I but after shooting a 300SPS I’m wondering if the 300SPS or the Standard RC2 might be a better choices. For the cost of a little length I’d have some additional flexibility.

I know these aren’t apples to apples, but if you have run any of these against the others what’s your general shooter impression of the unit and why you’d chose it? Mainly on a 5.56 but will run on everything up to 300WM.

762 rc2 mini is LOUD on 556, especially SBR’s. I’m not a fan of mini/k cans on rifles. No experience with the 762 RC2 but I own two 300 sps and on 300blk it’s stupid quiet. I run the other one on a 16” piston ar and it does very well

Last edited:
Reactions: FatBoy
I think I’m going to buy another can this week and I have been eyeing a the 7.62 RC2 mini. I have access to one, and will likely try it this week on my URG-I but after shooting a 300SPS I’m wondering if the 300SPS or the Standard RC2 might be a better choices. For the cost of a little length I’d have some additional flexibility.

I know these aren’t apples to apples, but if you have run any of these against the others what’s your general shooter impression of the unit and why you’d chose it? Mainly on a 5.56 but will run on everything up to 300WM.

The SPS is designed as a subsonic can, doesn't sound like that's your intended purpose.

For 5.56 the RC2 would do decent as it has low back pressure and decent suppression. It's long and heavy though.

The 6.4" mini is going to be louder but will still sound decent at the port on the AR with its low back pressure. It's not going to be that quiet though.

Are you set on Surefire?

These cans aren't really that great on bolt guns compared to other options but will be decent on semi autos.

Last edited:
It would look weird with a longer can on a URGI upper. Just get the standard 556RC2. The 762 Mini 2 is going to be loud AF on a AR. I know, I have one and I got the 556 RC2 for my CQBR Mod 1

My upper was built to use state to state so I had the warcomp pinned and welded so I’m pretty much set on a Surefire SOCOM series. I could do 5.56mini, which I also have access to, but I think I’m moving away from 5.56 cans in general. (Except the AEM5, I’d buy another in a second. Or an AEM5-30 ;) )

I think the RC2 would end up being about 20” as compared to 18”. Not a huge downside but certainly longer than the 5.56 mini. Weight may end up being a factor though on the lighter profile barrel.

I run an old 30-P1 on a couple bolt actions and it’s done everything I needed it to do. Would be nice to have the option of screwing a closed tine brake onto my mod7 or one of my -47Ls that currently run brakes and pop a can on. I know I can direct thread, just looking to expand the selection. They’re too damn long now so what’s the difference…

My upper was built to use state to state so I had the warcomp pinned and welded so I’m pretty much set on a Surefire SOCOM series. I could do 5.56mini, which I also have access to, but I think I’m moving away from 5.56 cans in general. (Except the AEM5, I’d buy another in a second. Or an AEM5-30 ;) )

I think the RC2 would end up being about 20” as compared to 18”. Not a huge downside but certainly longer than the 5.56 mini. Weight may end up being a factor though on the lighter profile barrel.

I run an old 30-P1 on a couple bolt actions and it’s done everything I needed it to do. Would be nice to have the option of screwing a closed tine brake onto my mod7 or one of my -47Ls that currently run brakes and pop a can on. I know I can direct thread, just looking to expand the selection. They’re too damn long now so what’s the difference…

Remove the warcomp it is horrible with a suppressor. The mount doesn't seal, you get significant leakage and much louder system.

You can see the evidence of this here, look at the comparison of 3 prong vs warcomp.

https://pewscience.com/sound-signature-reviews-free/sss-6-26-surefire-762rc2-savage-308

https://pewscience.com/sound-signature-reviews-free/sss-6-52-surefire-556rc2-mk18-556

I have a 762RC and my buddy has the 300SPS, The SPS is def quieter with a bolt gun than the RC. Haven't heard the SPS on a gas gun though.
In my opinion the fullsize 762RC is way too long and heavy for an AR15. Try the mini 762RC, which is the same length as the standard 556RC. I run a Sandman K on my gas guns and really happy with it for that purpose.

I’ve heard the warcomp complicates things. That said, only way this is coming off is cutting it off. I’ll have another barrel made first.

I’ve heard the warcomp complicates things. That said, only way this is coming off is cutting it off. I’ll have another barrel made first.

You can have someone drill the pin out and remove it? I've had two pin and welded muzzle devices replaced.

I have several blanks just sitting. If I end up having to change it I’ll just pull the barrel and we’ll cut another or build another upper. This one shoots pretty damn good for a lighter profile with a big ~ish break. No reason to risk messing it up when I can just do another. (We profile, chamber and paint our own barrels from gunsmith blanks)

Hopefully I can run some through the 7,62 mini tomorrow to see how I like it. Sounded fine on my buddies Larue 20” 6.5 and as I recall, not horrible on his 10.3” LMT, but I have started double plugging on pistol ranges.

F3CF350C-D076-4580-8892-FB47E6E173B7.jpeg

I have all 3. As others have said the mini is loud. Like it takes a 10.5 556 just below ear bleeding loud.
The sps is the quietest of the bunch but you can tell has the most backpressure from the way the gun cycles and gassiness. I have some durability concerns with it though. Of the 3 it would be my all around pick for a small frame ar though.
The 762rc isn’t the quietest or lightest but it’s a solid can. Sounds good on 308 and 5.56.

Walked into a local shop for some gift cards for my guys and they have both Black and Tan 7.62 RC2s in stock. I passed on one 18 months ago, didn’t want to make that mistake again. Have a black one going on a trust now. Will live between 10.5”, 12.5” and 14.5” 5.56 ARs and a 6.5x47 Tempest Ninja rifle.

The wait begins…..