• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 7.62 SOCOM Approved.........What to buy and wait on now?

Jmo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2014
Afghanistan/Kenya/ Auburn,AL
I just got an email from my dealer telling me that my 7.62 SOCOM came through approved and I could come pick it up..........but I'm back in the sandbox for another 9 months so might as well buy some more and let the clock start ticking again. With the new improvements in time hopefully I could pick them all up at the same time. Looking for some thoughts and or suggestions on the below options.

I want something that can shoot 22short, LR, MAG and .17HMR all fingers seem to point towards the Sparrow from what I have read. Does anyone have any experience with the TBAC 22-L? I am pretty much down to these two Sparrow or TBAC 22-L?

223/5.56

I am pretty much set on the 5.56 SOCOM talk me out of it. With the SF I could attache the 7.62 on the 5.56 breaks if I wanted, although I am not sure when or why that would be needed.

cheers,

All good options so far.

I too went the SOCOM762-RC and 556-RC route (556 still pending).

My only caveat would be if you don't shoot a lot of 5.56 then a Saker 7.62 would be more useful (backup 30 cal can, can use 5.56 end cap, also can be direct threaded etc. )

22 cans: the Sparrow is what I would recommend on rifle, Spectre ii for pistol. I personally am not a fan of sealed 22 cans and stayed away from TBAC for 22.

FYI: you can get a SOCOM556-RC for 950.00 at Silencershop right now. That's 200 less then what I paid for it through my local dealer.

Stay safe.

Last edited:
I have three SF SOCOM's Sparrow, and Specter II. Extremely happy with all and always looking for the next one.

Take a look at the Liberty Essence 22lr can and how about a pistol can? I went with 45's so I can shoot sub calibers through them as well. I'm looking to pick up a Griffin Armament revolution 9. You can configure it long or short and a 45 version is in the works. Sparrow didn't make the photo shoot. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411593047.270645.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411592990.337240.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Socom 7.62RC approved about 6-8 weeks ago now -- I run 300wm, 308, 300blk, 5.56 for my rifles.

We used a buddy's 5.56 can and I have to be honest here, 5.56 sounds so much better out of the 7.62 can because of the can's size.

Military loads are significantly higher pressure than civilian, obviously so, MK262's actually disperse throughout the entire 7.62 can and are suppressed incredibly well...

That's not saying the 5.56 can is bad in any way, it just so happens that because of it's size, the 7.62RC does better at suppressing 5.56 than the dedicated can.

Just keep in mind that the Surefire RC's are designed for high pressure, military loads -- So using that 223 isn't going to be an amazing experience. Drop some M118's, Mk262's, Mk248's through her, and you'll have yourself a keeper.

Masked you make a good point, I started thinking maybe I should just just grab the 7.62 mini instead of the 5.56 socom just have two 30cal cans like suggested above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Masked you make a good point, I started thinking maybe I should just just grab the 7.62 mini instead of the 5.56 socom just have two 30cal cans like suggested above.

Ironically one of the only cans we don't seem to have is a mini.

I've recently justified having one so, I'm saving up the $$$$ now but, it'll easily be Xmas before I get it together, so maybe next spring/summer if I'm lucky.

Just remember the ammo thing - I know guys that buy low pressure 223 - run it through the Socom and go "what the fuck?" - The can was designed for military loads...I'm not saying run out and buy mk 262's...I'm just saying these cans were designed for supersonic, high pressure loads...Not surplus 223 blowout garbage...HUGE difference between the .223 and Mil spec 5.56 especially in this can! If that's what you got - it is what it is - But, if you're dropping the $$$$ on loads, I'd steer you towards the military spec -- It's worth the 3-4c more per load.

Last edited:

Send a PM to Garin "Kudu22". He is a Surefire rep on these boards.

When I was in the market for another can (556-RC vs. 762-mini) he steered me away from the mini because the 5.56 would be that much quieter. It also happens to be cheaper.

Masked is absolutely correct, comparing my 762-rc to a Cyclone (Cyclone obviously having more volume) on 300 blackout the Surefire sounded very unimpressive... however once we moved over to 308 loads they sounded both the same, except the SF had less blowback, and half the POI shift.

Edit to add: the one can missing from my stable, and I don't plan to buy is a 762 mini can. Unless I was doing a compact 13.5" 308 battle rifle, or a smaller OAL bolt gun, and wanted to just reduce blast, I just don't see the benefit. I know a lot of guys like them for 300 blackout SBR builds, but the one time db's actually matter to me is when I'm shooting subsonic. But, YMMV.

Last edited:
I would really on be using it for 223/5.56 and 300blk. I'll use the 7.62RC for 7.62/.308, 260 and 6.5creed. I have a TBAC 338BA I use for the Lapua and 300WM.

I would really on be using it for 223/5.56 and 300blk. I'll use the 7.62RC for 7.62/.308, 260 and 6.5creed. I have a TBAC 338BA I use for the Lapua and 300WM.

I'd re-assess your win mag suppressor situation. Quite frankly, I reload MK248's and the surefire knocks a good 35ish DB off of it...248's are hardcore...I have yet to roof the SOCOM but, honestly, I really don't want to find out how much hotter I could make a win-mag load...Yeesh.

That being said, the Surefire really does do "okay" with 300blk as long as it's supersonic...

300BLK was the only load I bought reloads on -- Bought them from Freedom Munitions -- They F'd up the first lot, necked the brass too wide but, 2nd lot, is perfect and they did right by me -- Sounds good in the SOCOM, not great but, good.

Now owning a 762 can, you could have just about all your suppression needs covered if you added a Sparrow and a 45 Osprey. The Sparrow can handle any of your rimfire needs, and a 45 Osprey can handle any pistol with its interchangeable pistons.

There are other similar choices like the TiRant 45, so check out all your options. I own a Sparrow and the Osprey and I'm happy.
I've shot the TBAC 22L1 and its very nice also.

A good take apart 9mm can with stainless baffles (Octane) will sound very good on a .22 LR. The downside is the aperture is larger than the bore so you will have a fair amount of FRP (first round pop). A good 9 can is worth having. 9 sound better than .45 ACP simply b/c of the aperture size.

A good .22 can is worth having. There are 2 or 3 that everyone references - they are all very good. However mono cores seem to do a little better with the rifle, and have some FRP on a pistol (which can be negated via an ablative). The primary advantage of a .22 can over a 9mm can is length and weight - think pistol - much more handy to have a dedicated rimfire can on a .22 pistol host.

A .45 ACP can is not nearly as good with a .22 as a 9mm can. That said, a good .45 can that can be disassembled, stainless baffles - you are covered for just about any caliber in conjunction with your 7.62.

5.56 cans - a short / lightweight 5.56 can is still loud, but has advantages over a 7.62 can used on 5.56 in all area other than attenuation. Read - unless you want to run and gun a carbine, or more particularly an SBR, a 7.62 can will sound better if you're primarily using your 5.56 to ring steel in the distance.

In looking back I could have been more strategic about what I bought first, and in the end would likely not have as many as I do. That said I believe at the end of the day a purpose built can is the best for each individual application; however one can start to enjoy more suppressed shooting for less $$ by strategically purchasing cans that lend themselves 'well enough' in the gap.

Last edited:
Now owning a 762 can, you could have just about all your suppression needs covered if you added a Sparrow and a 45 Osprey. The Sparrow can handle any of your rimfire needs, and a 45 Osprey can handle any pistol with its interchangeable pistons.

There are other similar choices like the TiRant 45, so check out all your options. I own a Sparrow and the Osprey and I'm happy.
I've shot the TBAC 22L1 and its very nice also.

I have the Osprey, Tirant, and Octane 45's. I would recommend the Octane over the other two. Osprey you can't disassemble or put under handguards (in the future if wanted). And the shielded baffles of the Octane keep the inside of the tube clean and you can use harsher cleaning methods than with the Tirant.

It sounds like a 556-RC or 762-mini would be perfect for your needs if subs are taken out of the equation.

A 762-mini would be pretty sweet on a hunting rig

I can't tell a huge difference between my SOCOM 556sb and SOCOM 762 mini when used on 556.

However I'm now selling my 9" 300blk upper because subs are loud and rather use readily available 6.8spc to hunt vs supersonic 300blk.