• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62 x 51 gasser, a couple of questions.

ut755ln

Rub some dirt on it
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2011
Houston Texas
I shoot hogs on a fairly regular basis and I have been doing it with various 5.56 ARs. I hit them, no problem. My issue is that sometimes I hit them right behind the shoulder and they will still run 100 yards. My hunting friends that are using larger caliber rifles are having much better luck dropping them in their tracks and after looking at things like 300 blackout and 7.62 x 31, I think I would like a gasser in 7.62 x 51. The rifle that caught my eye is actually the DD5 MK 5, with the 18" barrel and with a built in adjustable gas block. I have not found a lot about the rifle either positive or negative.
|
I am not price sensitive and if the LMT or the LaRue or the HK is better I am open to them. The hog guns are not treated gently and it will get beat up so I don't want anything that is delicate. I also would prefer to stay away from something that is too heavy, effectively the lighter the better. I will rarely be shooting pigs farther than 200 yards so I do not require it to be sub 1 moa. I am looking for reliable, something that will work well with a can and something that I can handle for four or five hours without it feeling like I took some kind of cross fit class.

I do not want a bolt gun, I would like to drop several of the bastards before they run away.

My larue predatar and my sig 716i were both right about 8lbs before anything was added. PWS MK214 was about the same. Ruger and POF small frame models weigh a lot less. Also consider whatever accessories you will add so 12-13lbs is easy to hit.

My SCAR 17 eats everything I feed it and remains pretty light. As long as you don't mind the UGG boot look of the stock, it's not too heavy and relatively compact with the 16 inch barrel.

Reactions: thedude824
I think you are on the right track. I hate to see great rifles getting thrown around, but all those brands, and FN Scar are built for battle.

The Scar is a particular kind of gun. If you are not used to it, you might fall in love with it. Or, you might not. HK is priced high, and often purchased more by people who take a silicon rag to the gun every other weekend in their safe. The Military uses the hell out of it. LaRue is good, but really heavy, and you will wait a while if you order one. LMT is somewhat in your sweet spot, but again, not easy to find.

I happy to bounce ideas off. You are in the right shopping aisle. If interested, we have an HK, SCAR and an LMT available in 7.62.

Reactions: thedude824
Buy an LMT or KAC in 16” or 18” and you’ll be happy. Or for the same $ buy / build a couple on a Seekins or Aero builder set.

Biggest thing with large frames is an adjustable gas block and if you plan to run a suppressor, use a standard AR10 tube (A5 length) with an H2 or H3 buffer. Buy a good barrel and choose your finishes