• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7.62X39 AR build...anybody done one?

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
Helping a buddy build his first AR. Decided to do it in 7.62x39 for a few reasons, first ammo is cheap second .22 cal isnt allowed for hunting in WA.

Just wondering if anyone here has any time with a 7.62x39 AR and what the end results were.

Barrel seems to be the biggest hurdle at the moment as no "top tier" mfgs seem to offer them. Think YHM is the best bet so far.

Re: 7.62X39 AR build...anybody done one?

My father has a double star 7.62x39 flat top 16" upper on a CMMG lower. Im not sure but I think he has a nikon 3-9x40 on it. He loads barnes triple shock bullets (I can get the data from him if you are interested) for it and I do know that this thing is a fine shooter. This is actually his favorite close range (out to 150yrds) deer rifle, because of its size, weight, and punch. I cant even begin to tell you the number of deer this little rifle has taken. I saw him whack a pack of marlboros off a fence post at 162 yrds.

I picked up a Colt 20" HBAR flat top upper back in 1996. It's a great shooter. With handloads I can shoot thumb tacks at 100yrds at will. When I use it for deer I use wolf 154gr softpoints, and havent lost one yet. My 6yr old daughter loves to shoot this rifle, and it dont cost a fortune.

I have built 3 of them and still have them, although one is going up for sale shortly as I am paring down a bit. The biggest issue has always been feeding reliability previously. The latest version (last 6 months or so) of the C Products mags have been excellent with the design tweak and high power spring. In terms of accuracy, my AR versions in 7.62X39 are far more accurate than my AK, by a wide margin.

AR Performance has stainless barrels that have been nitride treated. Supposed to be harder than chrome and last longer. He also claims no issues with his 7.62x39 parts or guns, he makes the bolts stronger too. Lots of customer reference to great accuracy on his website FWIW.

I was heading in the 762x39 direction recently. The only thing I worried about 7.62x39 was the laquer cases gumming up the chamber when shooting high volume. I know the cases have more taper than the 5.56 but shooting wolf in my chrome chamber gummed it to a stop.

For my solution I bought a 16" 300 AAC Blackout barrel from them for $200 without a bolt (AAC uses the 5.56 bolt). If you didnt already know it has the same energy as the 7.62x39. It also uses exactly all the same AR parts exept for the ammo and barrel. The reformed 5.56 brass is cheap but you have to load your own until Remington and others come online with their ammo.

Re25, THANKS I will look them up!

Like I said this is a buld for a buddy who dosnt reload and needs a non .22 cal to hunt in WA.

I'm really liking the data on the 300blk but for a non reloader its a mute point.