• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62x39 Custom Bolt rifle--Issues

NWnewguy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2013
So I know this isn't normal around here, but I handled a buddies Ruger American chambered in 7.62x39 and it was a blast to shoot and much more accurate than I would have expected. It's still a Ruger American though. But, it got me thinking that I have a pile of custom actions sitting in the safe and maybe I could put one together like the RA, but with more cool and less suck. $4 to run a full mag would be such a nice break on the wallet and no reloading required. Plus barrel life would have to be decent.

So far, I've come up with at least three issues though. Potential showstoppers from what I can tell.
First, is that the bolt head size doesn't seem to line up with anything offered, from the research I've done. It appears that the 7.62x39 case head measures .447". Seems too small for 308 based and slightly too large for the ARC/Grendel bolt faces.
Second issue is that I can't find a pre-fit company that has it listed as a caliber that they chamber. If I have to pay full tab on a custom chambered barrel, the savings evaporates quickly.
Third and possibly the biggest issue, but I'm not sure; 7.62x39 projectiles measure .311" vs the standard .308" of normal .30cal cartridges. Would a x39 even work in a standard .30cal blank?

Anyway, anybody ever tried to put together a custom action bolt rifle in x39? Got any helpful ideas?

I have thought about the same thing and I think there could be one additional issue: The magazines

The common stocks/chassis/bottom metal for bolt rifles typically use the AICS mags, which I believe will not work for the 7.62x39

Not sure if you could find one that uses AK mags -- But I would be interested to hear

I have thought about the same thing and I think there could be one additional issue: The magazines

The common stocks/chassis/bottom metal for bolt rifles typically use the AICS mags, which I believe will not work for the 7.62x39

Not sure if you could find one that uses AK mags -- But I would be interested to hear
I had thought about mags, but figured that either the AICS or AW mags would work, but you might be right on that. Maybe could bend some feed lips? Some quick loading AW mags would be sweet. Might have to pull some rounds out tomorrow and see which if any would work.

I have about 10 custom actions, but I still think the rugers are OK. They have a triggertech coming out soon also.

My Origin grendel face measures about .470 diameter. MDT arc mags are great, might adjust feed lips, but mine have never misfed in arc and 22 grendel. Tony at Crown ridge has your reamer listed, he’s spun me about 10 hammers. Could get a blank to spec, but you will find alot of anecdote online about 311 bullets running fine down a 308 bore and I don’t think running a 308 reload bullet in the case would be too big of an issue…slightly more neck stretch? Also, Howa makes a Russian mini. Mine did 2 moa with steel case and 1/2” without too much development.

Reactions: 2c1fr
Grendel ar15 rifles can use off the shield 7.62x39 bolts, assuming the chamber is cut to match (type 1 v type 2). Hard to imagine a bolt gun would be different. But, maybe...

Build your gun to use a dbm that accepts ar style mags. The just use regular x39 mags and not have to modify shit.

Buy a standard 30 caliber blank and have it reamed with a x39 chamber. Open yourself up to some better options with projectiles anyway. Iffin I’m not mistaken, most “American” made x 39 barrels are usually 308 blanks alresdy.

Cheap imported ammo is going to have .311 bullets, very short with lousy BC's to match. That is why the .300 BO competes with it so well.
The grendel is based on the .220 russian (if memory serves), which was based on the 7.62x39, so the case head is the same size.
You can reload with .308 bullets in brass cases, but you can do that with any other .30 cal cartridge.
Buying US manufactured ammo won't save you any money.
If you shoot the steel cased ammo, you'll be lucky to do any better than 3 moa, which is fine for a fun gun, plinking steel at any range the cartridge is capable of.
Buy this and drop it in an Oryx chassis for the mini action and Bob's your uncle:
Your other answer is the Tabuk Sniper Rifle. You can build one yourself.

Cheap imported ammo is going to have .311 bullets, very short with lousy BC's to match. That is why the .300 BO competes with it so well.
The grendel is based on the .220 russian (if memory serves), which was based on the 7.62x39, so the case head is the same size.
You can reload with .308 bullets in brass cases, but you can do that with any other .30 cal cartridge.
Buying US manufactured ammo won't save you any money.
If you shoot the steel cased ammo, you'll be lucky to do any better than 3 moa, which is fine for a fun gun, plinking steel at any range the cartridge is capable of.
Buy this and drop it in an Oryx chassis for the mini action and Bob's your uncle:
Your other answer is the Tabuk Sniper Rifle. You can build one yourself.

Seems like the video link above re the Tabuk Sniper here is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand BUT not only am I looking for a x39 bolt gun BUT I'm also having Two Rivers Arms build me a Tabuk Sniper for me out of an old “trench-art” M70B1 kit I've had squirrelled away for years.

Weird synergy here for me I guess.

Anyway, moving on . . . .

I picked up a Ruger American in X39 because I have an un-used .30 caliber can laying around and its a perfect suppressor host.
For a $450 rifle its really not bad. Mine actually has a nice clean trigger , the 20 round Ruger mags fit and feed and not stupid expensive. The stock really is a canoe paddle but my barrel is free floated on a bipod and going to try it. If its too flexible I have a couple carbon fiber arrow shafts to add to the forearm. Bolt if far from smooth but an easy fix. I hate the bolt knob and will be doing something with it.

1oitPPn.jpg

After a bunch of consideration and opinion shopping I settled on this Boyd's "At One Thumb-hole" stock (AR-mag version) . Looks brown here but more grey/white laminate (called Pepper) . Almost went with an MTD chassis but was going to be some pretty serious bucks to get something that could have 10-round mags. Plus would still have to get a pistol grip and a buttstock. The original Ruger stock and magazines were so clunky and rough I'm hoping this will be a better solution with AR mags. The Boyds stock comes with mag well / trigger guard assembly included.

Interested to hear what you're doing about the bolt. I did what musta been almost a thousand cycles and several applications of valve lapping compound and the spring/action to unlock the bolt is still very tight. I'm going to be shopping for a new bolt knob as well.

1000005457.jpg

Last edited:
I will address slicking up the bolt and cocking surfaces after I get everything working the way I want.

I fabricated a bolt knob extension from a grade 8 bolt , turned one end with a 1/8" diameter than fits into the cut off and drilled factory Ruger bolt handle and threaded the other end 5/16-24 for standard knobs. Used my smoke wrench to heat it up and put an angle on it.Will weld it up tomorrow. I cant explain the dislike I had for the factory bolt knob. With my extension and thread on knob the bolt has much better reach and leverage , if I weld it on in the right direction~

YwYdWJL.jpg

MqAquIg.jpg

Speaking of. . . . Anyone have thoughts on aftermarket bolt handles ? I'm not much of a fan of the stock handle on the RAR either.

Speaking of. . . . Anyone have thoughts on aftermarket bolt handles ? I'm not much of a fan of the stock handle on the RAR either.
I have a .300 BLK version, and I put an Anarchy Outdoors bolt handle on mine and one of their spiral fluted knobs... One of the best mods I did on mine. The Timney trigger and Magpul Hunter (AICS version) stock was right up there, too.

IMG_6587.jpeg

Reactions: cal50