• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 7.62x39 in a .308

SJshooter

BTM FDR
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
Maryland
picasaweb.google.com
Was doing some work outside today and this question popped into my head...

What would happen if 7.62x39 was fired in a .308 chamber?

*I dont plan on doing it, just curious. Thanks in advance!

Re: 7.62x39 in a .308

For some reason I was thinking that the 7.62x39 case was wider at one point than the 308 (so it would be tough to chamber), but a quick check with a pair of calipers proved me wrong.

Since the case is much shorter it might just slide into the chamber and leave nothing for the firing pin to strike or it may do something really nasty. Either way my experimenting ends here
smile.gif

The base of the .308 case is .02 wider so the x39 case would probably just slide too far forward into the chamber for the pin to contact the primer. If it did you would probably have massive case rupture from the extremely excessive headspace, unsupported primer, and unsupported case walls.

photo-2.jpg

Interesting.

Since the bullet is so far from the lands, would it cause the bullet to tumble, hit the rifling at an angle, and severely deform the bullet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting.

Since the bullet is so far from the lands, would it cause the bullet to tumble, hit the rifling at an angle, and severely deform the bullet? </div></div>

At the very least. With the tip of the bullet sitting .02 lower than the centerline of the bore the bullet would most likely contact the lands on one side of the rifling first so I'd be surprised if the bullet made it out of the bore.

Without adequate case support I'd be surprised if anything happened the way it's supposed to happen.

Were you ^ thinking of doing this? <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a.k.a. Northman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tag</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Were you ^ thinking of doing this? <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a.k.a. Northman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tag</div></div> </div></div>
It's not on my top ten list of things to try. But I'm curious to hear other responses on the topic. Hence the "tag".

Back to the topic: Might anyone know an easy way of determining which size bullet is in lot X, Y, or Z of 7.62x39? That is, without tearing the cartridges apart & breaking out the calipers? IE; .311 or .308
And I haven't checked the cartridge's respective measurements, but might a chamber insert be a viable solution to allow 7.62 Russian to be fired in other .30 cal rifles? Assuming the bullet diameters match up that is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a.k.a. Northman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might anyone know an easy way of determining which size bullet is in lot X, Y, or Z of 7.62x39? That is, without tearing the cartridges apart & breaking out the calipers? IE; .311 or .308</div></div>

At the risk of contributing to what sounds like a trainwreck in the making .....

The Priv and Speer x39 SP bullets I've used are generally in the .310-.311 range with the occasional .312 compared to the .308-.309 175SMKs I use.

In years gone by I fired a 762X39 in an old re barreled surplus rifle with a claw type extractor. I slipped the rim under the extractor, then closed the bolt.
It fired, the bullet exited the muzzle, and the case was blown out and split. Only did it once, and unless I was in a life or death scenario, wouldn't do it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In years gone by I fired a 762X39 in an old re barreled surplus rifle with a claw type extractor. I slipped the rim under the extractor, then closed the bolt.. </div></div>

Do I dare ask why?

7.62x39 in a 308 sounds like the time somebody with an AR15 grabbed one of my .222 rem rounds. Since it headspaces on the shoulder, it ran too far forward for a) the firing pin to hit it and b) the extractor to grab it and pull it out.

I can't remember if he had to use a rod to get it out, or if the mortar method rattled it out. I'm pretty sure he didn't finish that string in the match though.

That's what you get for stealing ammo!!!
laugh.gif

Didn't Russia at one point make their guns/ammo just a bit bigger than their opponents so they could use captured ammo if needed, but not the other way around? Probably before the 7.62x39 round though.

Steel-r

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SABuzzard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In years gone by I fired a 762X39 in an old re barreled surplus rifle with a claw type extractor. I slipped the rim under the extractor, then closed the bolt.. </div></div>

Do I dare ask why? </div></div>
Just to see if it would work.
It did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SABuzzard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In years gone by I fired a 762X39 in an old re barreled surplus rifle with a claw type extractor. I slipped the rim under the extractor, then closed the bolt.. </div></div>

Do I dare ask why? </div></div>
Just to see if it would work.
It did. </div></div>

hope you tied a string to that trigger... hold my beer and watch this!