• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7.62x39 Semi-Auto AR Info/Reviews (NON-AK)

5hans5

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
CT
I'm thinking about picking up a Ruger Mini-30 tactical carbine or an Olympic Arms K30R(bull barreled). I am open to other models, but want to keep the costs relatively reasonable- AND have something CT AWB compliant.

The Ruger mini-30s are hard to find in the tactical model. I've heard that the new series is pretty accurate and doesn't tend to string like the old ones.

Does anyone have experience/info on the K30R16SST or K30R at all? I like the looks of it and think I'd have to pin a compensator to the front(or fix the cap- ick) and the stock to make it CT compliant.

So anyone that has a 7.2x39 semi-auto and an opinion, please chime in. I want something pretty accurate, but not looking above $800 (and no, I don't have an AR that I can pop a new upper on).

Re: 7.62x39 Semi-Auto AR Info/Reviews (NON-AK)

I dont think the ruger is the most cost effective way to get accuracy out of a semi platform. if that is your goal
save up for an ar

An AR should be doable for under $800. Look around for a S&W M&P "Sport". MSRP is below $800, dealer pricing should be better yet. Then you can look at one of thier (S&W) 5.45 uppers (the other soviet cartridge) or a 7.62 OLY upper later. Not knowing what your intended use is, or why, I think you would do well with an AR platform in the long run.

Just my .02
Good luck

how is the reliability of the 7.62X39 in an AR? Guy had one on the next bench to me shooting yesterday and the thing was a jam-o-matic. Absolutely would not feed more than two shots.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Jerry

Hello Hide

I have a 7.62x39 BM upper chromed 16" barrel.
It shoots fine on semi & full on a M-16 lower.
Also shoots well with a sound suppressor & the action cycles slower with the can.
A wolf recoil spring & muzzle brake helps a bunch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how is the reliability of the 7.62X39 in an AR? Guy had one on the next bench to me shooting yesterday and the thing was a jam-o-matic. Absolutely would not feed more than two shots.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Jerry </div></div>

I have two 7.62x39 ARs and both run like raped apes on Russian steel cased ammo. No issues whatsoever.

Buy quality rifles, use quality components, get quality results.

Armalite on the left, YHM on the right.

09e5b828.jpg

Got a M1S in 20". Not a problem with it, and it has the M1S enchanced bolt that most recommend. I would love to have one in 16". Thinking of selling what I have, but the 6.5G has been whispering my name.

I built my dad a 16" 7.62x39 about a year and a half ago with a J&T kit and it runs great. He only shoots Wolf in it and has a Millet DMS on it and it has not hiccuped on him yet.

Have you taken a look at the ptr-32? I have heard that the magazine on the rugers isnt good, and is also hard to find. The ptr-32 uses ak magazines, and we all know those are robust and plentiful.

honestly though, an ak will do anything that those other platforms can do, and probably for less money. A norinco mak-90 is extremely dependable, and some are relatively accurate.