• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62x54 in a modern rifle

SledDog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2009
Saint Helens, Or
A friend of mine is interested in a modern rifle that runs 7.62x54, I suppose because it's cheap. I did a quick check and didn't see anything new. I read rumors of a new Russian rifle or a CZ available in Europe, but nothing in the states. Would this end up being a custom build? I told him just to get a clean Mosin and fit it in a new stock but you know how it is when you get something in your head.

I cant find any modern rifles being chambered as such, so it looks like a custom rifle chambering. I would just buy a finnish nagant, its good enough to eke out every bit of accuracy of the surplus stuff and if youre looking to handload to get more accuracy why start with a cartridge that is nearly impossible to find good brass for that doesnt realistically do anything more than cartridges that you can find quality components for and spend less money doing so that are also more efficient?

not very easy to get hold of but the best 54 r rifle in production is the Izhmash SV-98 as used by the russian army.
seen it for sale in the us but it's quite expensive, canadian importer interammo has had some available.

Last edited:
Cant find anything for importation of the sv 98 but that is pure russian awesomeness. Never seen one but id sure like to give one a go

Why not just look around for a good Finn M-39? They are very accurate. Also, it it not that hard to "tune" a 91-30 or M-38 M-N. PM me if you want some tips.

I suppose it would be cool but think it is creating a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. There are plenty of available selections in the 7.62 family that perform as well, or better. He would probably have to have a custom reamer made, I doubt most smiths have one on the shelf.