• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62x54R Bolt Action???

RayGun1928

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
Has anyone built a 7.62x54R bolt action on here? Or seen one? I was thinking about it, as the ammunition is everywhere, and pretty cheap. One site I read said the ballistic performance is close to 7.62NATO. Just wondered.

Re: 7.62x54R Bolt Action???

There are millions of them out there, Called Mosin 91/30s. They run about a $100. Get one with a good barrel they are good shooters.

The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) has special matches for the Mosin and other rifles of the period.

The Sniper versions have been making a pretty good showing on the CMP GSM Vintage Sniper Matches.

check out the vintage sniper rifle forum, there's quite a few on there...

To the best of my knowledge, there haven't been any new factory-chambered 7.62x54R bolt actions built in the West in well over half a century.

Lapua does make brass so it’s somewhat practical. The closest thing to what you looking for is a Finnish M28/76. The only modern rifles are not available in the US. The only other thing do is look on gun broker or a similar site something may turn up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lapua does make brass so it’s somewhat practical.</div></div>

Yes they do, but you can buy Winchester Loaded round for about $15 cheaper then the Lapua or Norma brass.

The Winchester stuff leaves you Winchester brass which makes some pretty good reloads.

Yes, I am familiar with the Mosin Rifles. I more so meant has anyone BUILT a rifle for this caliber. Whether with an old receiver, or with a modern Remmy or Winchester/etc. receiver and a really nice barrel.

I like my mosin. Its a fun "surplus vintage rifle to shoot" but if I was going to build a rifle, I'd find a different caliber. The 7.62X54R is an alright caliber, but there are calibers out there with better solections of components for a precision rifle, or a more varity of hunting rounds.

I have a 7.62NATO rifle. I have that for my precision rifle and component hand load weapon. I think I was looking to see if someone had BUILT a rifle, even re-barreled a mosin action and installed a better stock, with some nice glass. The AMMO is cheap as dirt, and I was just thinking it might be a fun, out to 500m perhaps, cheap rifle to shoot when funds were low for the 7.62NATO rifle.

A few range trips ago, there was a russian guy shooting a fully heavy barreled, sporterized Mosin.. He was tagging steel at 1000 yards pretty easy. He had a nice scope mount on it and said he pulls and re-seats the surplus ammo.. He said he was going to start shooting 1000 yard matches with it.

CH

Well Izhmash's SV 98 rifles are chambered in 7.62x54R, they are available in the US too if my memory serves me correct.
High quality, good precision rifles, but allot more expensive then a mosin to play with.
Outside the east block countries the 7.62x54R is'nt widely spread for purposes outside hunting and target shooting.

I built a 7.62x54R off of a Siamese Mauser action that was orginally chambered in 8x52R. Lots of fun to shoot, until it blew up in my face. The 7.62x54R cartridge does NOT have the reinforced webbing at the case head that a "normal" cartridge (like .308 Win) has. This creates a weak spot in the brass right where the extractor grabs the case. I had a great time shooting until that extractor gave way and my face was splattered with hot molten metal and gasses. I was lucky that I didn't loose my eyes.

My advice based on my real world experience is to only use this cartridge in actions specifically designed to shoot the 7.62x54R!