• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.65 ARG ???

GRIM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Wisconsin
Ok - so what round is this? Have a buddy with what looks like it is a Mauser action but on the barrel it's stamped 7.65 ARG.

What round is this? Argentine?

Re: 7.65 ARG ???

Actually its not a bad round. My father was a fan of the 7.65 Argentine round and action.

The M-91 Argentine Mauser action is as strong as the 93-95 Mausers. They don't have the third locking lug, nor the provison vent the gas of the '98s, however the deep recessed bolt head and narrow extractor slot provide more cart. head support then the later mausers, including the 98.

The 7.65 round is on par with the 8 MM Mauser and the 7.62 Russian and can be quite accurate if proper handloads are used.

It's just one of the many surplus military actions that were popular in the 60s.

I had an as issued model and access to my father's sporter version but like a know it all kid, I wasnt into do old military rifles back then, I had to have the fancy stuff. Now that I'm older, and more into history of old military rounds, I reget I got ride of these old work horses.

I don't think I'd choose the action for a LR Rifle build, but I would love to have another "as issued" version to try out in CMP's Vintage Military Rifle Matches.

Not a lot of kick in my sporterized version. Because of the 2 locking lugs it is not loaded to high pressures. I believe Nosler still makes loads for this cartridge. May want to slug the barrel to verify diameter for bullets when reloading. Brass is available, too.

150gr soft point worked fine in mine with a peep sight. Put a Jaeger (sp) trigger in place of the military version, and it worked so much better than OEM.

If it's a 1909 rifle in 7.65 ARG. (flush magazine) of german manufacture ) I think Ludwig Lowe, later DWM) it's a 98 action and as strong as any other. They are beautifully built rifles and command a lot of $$$ if in excellent original condition.

The 7.65 Argentine (sometimes called the Belgium,they also used it) case capacity is very near the .308 and the old cartridge is capabile of .308/.300 Savage pressures/velocities. What changes is the action. A 1909 is equal to any modern action. 1891s are very well made but a little less sturdy so pressures should be limited a bit. Even in the older '91 actions the round can be very near the power level of the excellant .308.

Bullets will need to be .312" (same as the .303 Brit) in most rifles but that's easy enough to find. They will also work quite nicely in the occasional .311 bores with no change in the load.

I have a 7.65 Argentine, or should I say in my possession. It is my brothers and is referred to some by 7.65 x 53 Belgium. It is a crude looking rifle but it is a real tack driver. One of his favorites for sure.