• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7,7 jap reloading question

experthunter017

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2012
Virginia beach VA
I have 7.7 jap rifle i am trying to reload for. I have some factory brass and ammo but i want more rounds so i started to make them out of 30-06 brass, I trim them to 2.28 and then i place them in the FL sizer and work that for a while and when it has no problem going in to the die i trim them down to 2.25in and when all that is done i place them in my rifle and that is where my problem begins, it is hard as h%#@ to close that bolt when i finally get it shut it is just as hard when i open it, so thinking i did something wrong i measured the case and then compared it to the factory 7.7 brass and they are the same, so i put the factory in the rifle and it as no problem, what am i doing wrong?? i was told maybe it is a head space problem, well if it is how do i fix it, any other solution would be great thanks for your help.

I have 7.7 jap rifle i am trying to reload for. I have some factory brass and ammo but i want more rounds so i started to make them out of 30-06 brass, I trim them to 2.28 and then i place them in the FL sizer and work that for a while and when it has no problem going in to the die i trim them down to 2.25in and when all that is done i place them in my rifle and that is where my problem begins, it is hard as h%#@ to close that bolt when i finally get it shut it is just as hard when i open it, so thinking i did something wrong i measured the case and then compared it to the factory 7.7 brass and they are the same, so i put the factory in the rifle and it as no problem, what am i doing wrong?? i was told maybe it is a head space problem, well if it is how do i fix it, any other solution would be great thanks for your help.

I've read about case forming, but I've never tried it.

First, can you bump the shoulders back a bit more, say...using 1/16th turn (sizer die) increments and keep checking until it fits with less resistance?

Is this exercise one where you have to fireform the 'partially reformed' cases, or is it an 'exact copy', the way you're going about it?

Some CF jobs need to be fire formed with fast powder charges and bullets hitting the lands, to create some quick 'puffing' of the case, so it fills out the chamber.

I'm guessing that you might need to bump the shoulders back a bit, if your overall case length is within parameters.

Chris