• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 LRM vs 7-300 PRC

blksno

I don't have one
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2009
    SD
    Is there any justifiable reason to have my 7mm Rem Mag rebarreled to 7 LRM when the 7-300 PRC seems easier to find components for, cheaper more better?

The 7mm Rem Mag has had both barrels shoot sub 1/2 at 3140 for the first one....and 3105 for the 2nd...but I have a feeling this summer will be the end of the line.
    Just trying to make a plan for the future and I'm wondering if it's even really worth it to change.

44851527_874393193346_7285922601845653504_n.jpg

Reactions: fclassparadise
    I've been running a 7mm-300 win mag and love it. Brass is super easy to find and performance is great. I looked at the 7lrm and 7mm-300 prc and a few others and I just don't see the upside with the shortages

Reactions: blksno
    I've been running a 7mm-300 win mag and love it. Brass is super easy to find and performance is great. I looked at the 7lrm and 7mm-300 prc and a few others and I just don't see the upside with the shortages
    With the numbers I have gotten...I'm not interested in changing unless it's to ditch the belt.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
    Been looking into this very same thing. What barrel lengths are y’all running? Single feed or mag length loads? I appreciate the details in advance!

Any reason you’re not considering 28 nosler?

Any reason you’re not considering 28 nosler?
    It's a less efficient case designed.
    Longer case, shorter neck and less powder capacity isn't what I'm looking for.
    I realize it's very vary similar, 6 of one and a half dozen of another. The 28 Nos has never really interested me.

Been looking into this very same thing. What barrel lengths are y’all running? Single feed or mag length loads? I appreciate the details in advance!
    First barrel was 23" I believe...and I'm pretty sure this one is 25"
    Running out of a CRF Win M70 with AICS mags

Attachments

• IMAG2708.jpg
      IMAG2708.jpg
      459.5 KB · Views: 709
    • IMAG2766.jpg
      IMAG2766.jpg
      236.8 KB · Views: 306
    Last edited:
    What about 280AI? I know this gets brought up a lot in 7mm discussion. Thoughts on that? Also, still new to precision shoot. The 7-300PRC breaks out to 7mm bullets in 300PRC brass? Same for 7-300WM with WM brass?

What about 280AI? I know this gets brought up a lot in 7mm discussion. Thoughts on that? Also, still new to precision shoot. The 7-300PRC breaks out to 7mm bullets in 300PRC brass? Same for 7-300WM with WM brass?
    Similar performance to 7 saum.
    An excellent cartridge.

Similar performance to 7 saum.
    An excellent cartridge.
    That is what I decided on last year for my build, the 280AI. Reading and asking many questions here I found that, iirc, it has almost the same performance as the 7RM give or take 50fps or so but for less powder.

The rifle is a Winchester M70 CRF with a magnum bolt face...so that's not really an option.
    And you're correct. The 7-300 would be a 300 PRC case, necked down to accept a 7mm bullet.

That is what I decided on last year for my build, the 280AI. Reading and asking many questions here I found that, iirc, it has almost the same performance as the 7RM give or take 50fps or so but for less powder.
    That may be the case if you're running mid-weight bullets with traditional powder...but a 280AI is going to fall quite a bit short, significantly short, of a 7Rem Mag with a heavy bullet and the right powder for the job.

The rifle is a Winchester M70 CRF with a magnum bolt face...so that's not really an option.
    And you're correct. The 7-300 would be a 300 PRC case, necked down to accept a 7mm bullet.

That may be the case if you're running mid-weight bullets with traditional powder...but a 280AI is going to fall quite a bit short, significantly short, of a 7Rem Mag with a heavy bullet and the right powder for the job.
    True didn't think about the bolt face. As far as the 280AI vs 7RM goes, you're telling me super reloaders can't get a 280AI to push heavy bullets like a 7RM does?

True didn't think about the bolt face. As far as the 280AI vs 7RM goes, you're telling me super reloaders can't get a 280AI to push heavy bullets like a 7RM does?
    Yes. That's what I'm saying.
    However...been wrong before.
    If you know someone...enlighten us.

I’d think the 7 RM would have at least a 75-100 fps advantage for same barrel length and pressure

I've had both and the 280 ackley is awesome but if you set the 7 mag right there's no comparison for handloaders.

Now the 7lrm has adg made brass with a gunwerks head stamp, around 88.7gr capacity. 7/300prc is 95.8 gr powder cap on my adi 120 scale. I had one built last year. I like the 7mags performance, but don't like belts. I run my 7/300prc at 26" 7mag speeds with a 22" pipe. I can run 180s up to 3130, 195s at 3k fps. It's hard on the barrel tho. I think the 7lrm with its long neck, non rebated rim and similar capacity to thw 7mag is the best balance. Yes it's proprietary brass, and dies have to come from gunwerks, and reamers aren't plentiful, but it's a solid case design. I think a 7lrm with RL26 or N570 will run a 195 at 3000-3030 with a 26" barrel, that's the mid node that a 28N runs with Retumbo.

...I think a 7lrm with RL26 or N570 will run a 195 at 3000-3030 with a 26" barrel, that's the mid node that a 28N runs with Retumbo.
    I've already tested 190 Atips at 3040 with RL33 in a 25" 7mm Rem Mag.
    For the +180gr bullets...RL33 the key.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DIBBS and Schw15
    I've already tested 190 Atips at 3040 with RL33 in a 23" 7mm Rem Mag.
    For the +180gr bullets...RL33 the key.
    That's hauling some ass for a 7mag! Must be throated pretty long? Adg brass? Are you sizing above the belt with a Willis collet die to eliminate sticky extraction? RL33 and N570 have shown to give very similar speeds before pressure, equal throat erosion in my observance(65 max and 300nmi). My only complaint with 33 is the carbon buildup and lack of temp stability. RL33 does clean up once you get it up to higher pressures tho.

That's hauling some ass for a 7mag! Must be throated pretty long? Adg brass? Are you sizing above the belt with a Willis collet die to eliminate sticky extraction? RL33 and N570 have shown to give very similar speeds before pressure, equal throat erosion in my observance(65 max and 300nmi). My only complaint with 33 is the carbon buildup and lack of temp stability. RL33 does clean up once you get it up to higher pressures tho.
    I've had to run much much faster to get sticky bolt, I think it actually has a lot to do with the M70 CRF Action 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️. So I've not needed a special die persay. However...
    Part of the reason I'm considering a new cartridge is that I am currently using an RCBS Gold Medal Match neck die, followed by an older RCBS FL die without the expander and decapping rod. It's not ideal, but it's been working.

Whatever I choose, I plan to switch to a FL die with a neck bushing. I've been slowly converting most of my dies to RCBS MatchMaster but that may not be an option without some die tweaks.

I'm a huge 7mm fan and the 7 lrm seems like a almost perfect case. If you do switch let us know with what and how it goes. The 7 lrm and 7-300 prc are very close to the same.

I'm a huge 7mm fan and the 7 lrm seems like a almost perfect case. If you do switch let us know with what and how it goes. The 7 lrm and 7-300 prc are very close to the same.
    I'm in agreement, I like the lrm case a lot! I built one back in 2015, one one the first lone peak razor ti action, believe it was ser# 13. I had 250pcs of weighted sorted Hdy brass from primal rights. I had 630 rounds down the barrel, when all that brass was toast, it could only last two firings with 180hyb @ 3020 fps. Believe it was 73gr H1000 from a 26" bartlein 8.5tw. At that point I pulled the barrel and went a different direction as the brass was abs garbage. Shot show 2018 gunwerks boys tell me new brass is right around the corner. However it took 2 years before ADG did a run for em. I have a bat vampire with no barrel, I think this would be an excellent case for that action.

Now the 7lrm has adg made brass with a gunwerks head stamp, around 88.7gr capacity. 7/300prc is 95.8 gr powder cap on my adi 120 scale. I had one built last year. I like the 7mags performance, but don't like belts. I run my 7/300prc at 26" 7mag speeds with a 22" pipe. I can run 180s up to 3130, 195s at 3k fps. It's hard on the barrel tho. I think the 7lrm with its long neck, non rebated rim and similar capacity to thw 7mag is the best balance. Yes it's proprietary brass, and dies have to come from gunwerks, and reamers aren't plentiful, but it's a solid case design. I think a 7lrm with RL26 or N570 will run a 195 at 3000-3030 with a 26" barrel, that's the mid node that a 28N runs with Retumbo.
    I run my 7LRM with H1000 and get the 195s to 3k fps. I backed it off to ~2960 fps and it flat shoots.

Last edited:
    I run my 7LRM with H1000 and get the 195s to 3k fps. I backed it of to ~2960 fps and it flat shoots.
    That's good performance from the lrm. 26" barrel? I'm leaving 120+ fps on the table by running a 22" pipe, it's strictly a hunting rifle, weighs 6.8# minus optics. Plan was to run supressed but recoil is a bit much for spotting my own shots. It wears a brake now.

That's good performance from the lrm. 26" barrel? I'm leaving 120+ fps on the table by running a 22" pipe, it's strictly a hunting rifle, weighs 6.8# minus optics. Plan was to run supressed but recoil is a bit much for spotting my own shots. It wears a brake now.
    26" barrel

I like the philosophy of the 7LRM.
    It isn't meant to be a hot rod, it is meant to handle the heavy bullets better than the remington.
    One of the issues is the single source for the brass.
    While it is excellent brass, it is very spendy.
    You can't buy the brass from ADG, they won't even confirm they make it.
    If starline would make it, I'd be all over it.

Reactions: TrevK
    28 nosler is a huge barrel burner and they seem to have a lot of issues with carbon rings ect

I've had to run much much faster to get sticky bolt, I think it actually has a lot to do with the M70 CRF Action 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️. So I've not needed a special die persay. However...
    Part of the reason I'm considering a new cartridge is that I am currently using an RCBS Gold Medal Match neck die, followed by an older RCBS FL die without the expander and decapping rod. It's not ideal, but it's been working.

Whatever I choose, I plan to switch to a FL die with a neck bushing. I've been slowly converting most of my dies to RCBS MatchMaster but that may not be an option without some die tweaks.
    Try Whidden, same kind of deal

Maybe I should of read better are you saying there not very good?

I only have one set of Whidden and the resizing die had to go back because it left a mark on the brass but they made it right. The seating die had issues with the seating stem galling up after a few years of use. I prefer redding type s full length bushing dies or forster dies for non bushing dies.

Maybe I should of read better are you saying there not very good?
    I've had 4, 3 were good one was really bad. It'd throw 4k runout no matter what I did. Switched to a matchmaster. For the price of whidden I feel there are better options available.

I've had 4, 3 were good one was really bad. It'd throw 4k runout no matter what I did. Switched to a matchmaster. For the price of whidden I feel there are better options available.
    Did they stop making the matchmaster