• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 mag or 28 Nosler

jslomax78

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2019
I’m in the market to start a new build. Looking at going with the 7mag or 28 nosler. It is going to be strictly a hunting gun on a lighter weight platform. Pros, cons of both and reasons why.

I'd opt for the 7RM. 28 Nosler brass can be a pain to find, same goes for the ammo. Use a 1:8 twist and the 7RM will be no slouch.

Reactions: wbm and jLorenzo
I just did a 7mm build too. I did 7remmag. I am very pleased I am shooting retumbo using adg brass which is excellent brass highly recommend, shooting 165 Gamechanger at 3075, 180 Berger right at 3000. It’s a criterion 26” barrel.

7mm mag has stood the test of time. Newer calibers tend to fade quickly these days. 7mm brass is simple to find and the caliber is an absolute hammer on deer/elk

Exactly! Two years ago, I used a 7RM to take an antelope at 507 yards and my bull at 725. It's a great round that flattens game.

ADG makes 28 nosler brass for a great option. If your just hunting without extended range sessions I'g use this over the 7rem mag. 8tw 195 or maybe the new 190 atips. The 180's will work with a 9 nit the bigger bullets will have a decided edge in the wind. Going super light though might make the 280 ai another good choice.

Another vote for 280ai if building a light weight hunt rig all the horsepower needed close to 7rm but standard action with room for an extra round.

In my book its all about weight, lighter is righter. Animals don't care what the headstamp is, only about a hit in the engine room with a quality bullet and in my experience, a lighter rifle means less fatigue so the hunter is better prepared to place that one shot first round.

Another vote for 7 rem mag. Versitile and with the right twist rate can really launch some High BC pills out there.

Running a 7mm like others velocities are really easily to get. Does a great job on Elk or pig. The best part is that the recoil is super easy compared to a 300. Running 8twist Proof 168s run flat, 5.2mils the other morning at 912y. The 28 is not going to be but about 25-50 FPS faster and it makes little difference. Also note that some guys are reporting pressure issues at speeds other are reporting work with the 28.

Flying is super dependent on the TSA inspectors. As an example, the Federal guideline card you sign clearly states the lock, combo or key must be solely in your possession; yet at the same time I’ve heard the inspectors say that I should have a TSA lock. The reason I am going through this longwinded example is that the same happens with ammo- some inspectors want factory ammo boxes. I’ve seen ammo not arrive with my buddy claiming he packed his hand loads.... Luckily he shoot a well used factory chambering!

I made the same decision not long ago and went 7mm RM, although barrel life was a consideration for me, which it probably wouldn't be on a strictly hunting rig. Still, recoil is lower and ammo/components are cheaper and easier to find. 28 has an edge over 7RM on range and power, but as others have stated 7RM already has plenty of both, so unless you need that edge (or something that shoots a little flatter) I'd go 7RM. YMMV

My vote would be 7RM as well. Although, the 28 Nosler is an awesome cartridge.

28 Nosler or 280ai.

I see no reason to put up with belted cases anymore.
I dont reload but i see this statement a lot. I also see the counter that belted cases are reloaded just like non belted and it is a non issue. Guys report great brass life with belted cases.

which is it?

I dont reload but i see this statement a lot. I also see the counter that belted cases are reloaded just like non belted and it is a non issue. Guys report great brass life with belted cases.

which is it?

If it’s a hunting rifle does it really matter?

Absolutely nothing special or difficult about reloading belted cases. Everyone who knows what they're doing headspaces off of the shoulder anyways, and you should not be doing load development with virgin cases, you want to fire form them first so the belt is a moot point.

i bought the larry willis collet die for belted cases and literally have never had to use it.

I got my 7RM mag from @Axisworks LLC works about a month or so before November deer and I didn't have the time to do a proper load development, so I bought federal premium with 168 berger hybrids @ 2960 fps and it shot nice little groups during scope zeroing.

First, thanks to OP for starting this Thread and to everyone for posting. I’ve got the same dilemma

I’d strictly be hunting with this particular rifle. I do reload, and wanted to try the 28 But maybe i need to give it some more thought.

I like those 195’s

7RM!! Mine shoots factory 160 class ammo at 1/2 MOA (5 & 10 shot groups) in the mid 2900’s with SD in the mid teens. Nothing to call home about, but it’s solid for any North American game to 7 or 800 yards based on about any standard metric.

I have hunted with a 7mm Rem Mag and a 7mmSTW. Never saw the need for the added horse power of the 7 STW so I sold it and stayed with the 7 mm Rem Mag. Unless you are shooting the 180's at long range, the 7 Rem is enough gun. I also use and like my .284 Win on a long action. A .208 AI would be about the same as the .284 Win loaded right.

Ok....

Tell me what the 7mm rm does better than the 28 Nosler.

If you go with the less recoil argument than just throw a brake on it. I doubt you can tell the difference at that point.

Keep in mind he said this is a hunting rifle

I was split between the two when I had to make a decision. I went the 28 route for the fact that whatever the 7mm rm could do the 28 can do better.

In the end there is really no bad pick as shot placement and bullet construction will be the deciding factor.

It it isn’t a kill shot with a 7mm rm then a 28 Nosler will not magically make it one.

Whichever you go with you made a good choice.

But that’s just my opinion.

Last edited:
Ok....

Tell me what the 7mm rm does better than the 28 Nosler.

Of you go with the less recoil argument than just throw a brake on it. I doubt you can tell the difference at that point.

Keep in mind he said this is a hunting rifle
IMO

7RM has better barrel life - hunting rifle or not, i shoot my guns.

Quality factory ammo is ubiquitous for 7RM, not so much for 28nos

Price per round is less for 7RM. Again, I shoot my guns quite a bit so this matters.

Recoil is a little less with the 7RM. Not a big deal really. I’ll also never have a brake on a hunting rifle.

And the obvious: 7RM is the best hunting cartridge ever, lol.

If you reload ,other than initial brass price, the cost is nearly identical. Additionally you can tune your load so accuracy difference go out the window.

How many barrels have you shot out in hunting rifles? I never have but I am sure someone out there has. If you are concerned with barrel life neither are stellar choices.

Lets say you get what, one extra year out of a 7mm rm( really doubt you ever wear a barrel out on a hunting rifle but whatever).

None of those would be deciding factors to me. Especially if this was a custom build.

Only real reason I could think of to choose a 7mm rm is if I had to only shoot factory ammo.

But I will say the big 7’s do appeal to me.

I had a 7mm rm that I used to hunt with when I was younger and really loved the round. I have a 28 Nosler now and love it equally as much....maybe a little more.
?

Ps: In the end it really isn’t going to matter. Get either, build a quality rifle and go out and enjoy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bradu

which is it?

It's common for guys to run the sizing too aggressive and after a few firings you'll get a separation in front of the belt.

I'm of the opinion that the whole reason belted cases became a standard is well behind us as our machining technology and consistency is great.

Run whatever you like, I'd rather run a standard case than belted. Some guys don't mind the extra time dicking with belted cases.

If you'll never reload then it's a moot point.
And the Nosler will do everything just that much better, but you'll have to rebarrel either one 10-15 years.

Either is good. I think if I was buying a hunting rifle, and just wanted to keep a few high quality boxes of factory ammo around, the I would go 7Rm.

I have a 28 nosler, and love it, but I wanted the extra 200 FPS from hand loads with 180-195 FPS for trying to extreme distance on steel. I’ve also shot a deer with it for fun at 200, but that’s really about it.

the 7RM mag should easily reach any distance you can ethically hunt. Factory Nosler 168 trophy grade long range is carrying 1300 ft-lbs at 900 yards.

Both are great rounds. The 28N is very similar to the 7 STW. As mentioned above, one of the nice things about the 7RM is factory ammo is plentiful and fairly inexpensive.

If you load, 28 Nosler

This. If you don't reload, 7 RM is def the way to go. If you do reload, 28 Nosler is awesome! I'm shooting 195's at 3050 with Retumbo. It's a lightweight gun for hunting (Manners EH1, Proof Carbon, TL3, Vortex AMG) and I don't use a brake, still have no issue with recoil and spotting impacts.

I love 7mm, just wish it would modernize a bit.
A 7mm PRC would be tits!!!

Yes it would, about perfect with decent capacity, not too overbore, no rebated rim or belt. Thought about doing a LRM, Practical, Mashburn, 7-300WM, but the 7PRC would be the way to go.

7mm Sherman Magnum

Headstamped ADG brass coming in February

Size of 7RM but no belt. With speeds of 28 Nosler and without rebates rim

I have a 300 Sherman mag as well as a 7SS and 6.5SS. His designs are awesome. The 300 shoots a 215 Berger at 3100 with 83 grains of H1000. I will definitly be getting the 7 Sherman mag when it comes out.

Reactions: b6graham
Well, i was leaning towards the 28 Nosler, but now I'm seriously considering the 7mm RM. Again, both seen like great options but I want this to be a hunting rig, as I've got a rifle for shooting steel. I'm worried bout the need of a 26" barrel for the Nosler, and hoping to get away with a 24" since I'm trying to run an Ultra 7 with it.

Any thoughts on the barrel length for the nosler? Will it perform out of a 24" barrel, or is the added speed of the 26" needed to maximize the capabilities?

I would not be overly concerned with it only being for hunting.

Keep the shots reasonable.

I would also add that if you are not going to optimize the rifle to get the most out of the 28 Nosler just stick with the tried and true 7mm Rem mag.

There is not a bad choice between the two.

I would also add that if you are not going to optimize the rifle to get the most out of the 28 Nosler just stick with the tried and true 7mm Rem mag.

There is not a bad choice between the two.

I agree, if you aren't gonna try and get full potential from the 28 nosler with barrel length and hand loading, the 7mm mag is probably a better option.

I say that loving my 26" 28 nosler.

7rm for me. I'm currently hunting with a 7rm shooting 168 Berger vlds at 3000 fps. Im using Winchester brass, and it's showing no signs of wear after 8 or 9 reloads. I feel I could easily shoot 180s at the same speed, and the 190s close to it. I don't feel the need to give up barrel life (it may be a hunting rifle but I still practice with it) for a marginal increase in speed, as well as more powder and more expensive brass.

That doesn't mean I don't want to try something new just for the sake of trying something new though. I still want a 7saum for a long range rig, even though the 7rm does the same thing. If the 28 nosler piques your interest, give it a go.

Like I said, I'm biased for the 7RM. HOWEVER, I don't follow the logic of having to use a 26" barrel if you go the Nosler route. A 24" nosler should still outrun a 24" rem mag (all other things equal). If we're talking optimizing performance, a 26" barrel is not optimum for either cartridge - you should instead be looking at 30" - 32" barrels.

A 24" barrel should not dictate cartridge selection here....IMO

Reactions: jimmymcnulty
Like I said, I'm biased for the 7RM. HOWEVER, I don't follow the logic of having to use a 26" barrel if you go the Nosler route. A 24" nosler should still outrun a 24" rem mag (all other things equal). If we're talking optimizing performance, a 26" barrel is not optimum for either cartridge - you should instead be looking at 30" - 32" barrels.

A 24" barrel should not dictate cartridge selection here....IMO

I should have elaborated my thought more, I was saying I don't think the extra expense for 28 Nosler ammo is worth it unless you are trying to maximize the rounds potential. If I wasn't looking to maximize the 28 and shoot the 195's over 3000 fps, I would have just done a 7rm for the cheaper cost and availability of ammo, while still being a magnum 7mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 65x55guy
Thoughts on a 22” or 23” Barrel in 7mm Rem Mag?

I would like to run a 7” can but a 28 Nosler with a 26” Barrel and a 7” can would be LONG, so I’m leaning to a 7mm Rem Mag.

So, what would you all say about how short is too short for a 7mm RM if a 7” can was ran with it?

I’ve read where below 23” the loss is to great but a 23” or 24” sounded promising

Pretty sure the can thing is a complete game changer on optimal barrel length.

I’ll let others advise at to what that proper length would be with each caliber.

Pretty sure the can thing is a complete game changer on optimal barrel length.

Yea, i agree with you. I feel like I’m splitting hairs, but the can does add a different element for overall barrel length with regards to a lightweight hunting setup