• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 mm. Rem.

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
I was given a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag as well as some powder and bullets but no brass. I have found some once fired brass from a friend so now have 20 rds. of brass. The powder that came with the rifle is H-4831, the bullets are 139 gr. and 160 gr. The widow told me there was lots of,"Old case things but who would want that? so I threw them away." My heart stopped for a beat or two, "Me, Maxine, I would want those old brass thingees." I have never shot the 7 Mag much but want to start. I have the H4831,IMR& H4895,IMR 4064 and IMR 3031. I am not looking for high velocity but something comfortable to shoot and accurate. If you have any ideas, I would appreciate hearing about that as to starting point or favorite loads. The rifle is not quite as new but I doubt it has had over 100 to 200 shots fired. He never reloaded but did save cases, I wish I had them now. I had told him I would get dies and reload for him if he got the powder and bullets and primers. He did aquire all of the above but we never got it together. The primers, powder and bullets are all still in sealed containers. How many times can I expct to be able to load brass. I have been told that life of 7mm brass is not good. Is that true? Thank you, FM

Re: 7 mm. Rem.

About the same as any case, the hotter you go, the faster they fail. Out of the powders you mentioned I'd go with the 4831 and 160's for a g.p. load.

Rl22 is a good powder for that when you restock your supply, about 3 times for a "hunting load"

Jusr as I would suggest that a .300WM could be downloaded to .308 or .30-'06 load levels, I'd also suggest that the 7RM can be downloaded to 7-08 and .280 levels. As with those suggestions, I also suggest that loads be started out with lighter bullets and faster powders, as downloading slow powders is something I definitely want to avoid. If your rifle has a sporter barrel, confirm it has enough twist if you're looking into using the longer LR bullets.

Greg

Thank you all for the info. What about brass life? I think I have read or heard somewhere not to load it very many times. I have never reloaded any belted cases before. Thanks, FM

FM,

There are alot of myths about belted cases out there, but Ive found them to be nothing but myths.

I have some 7mmRM brass thats been fired at least 12 times. Neck size only. Bump shoulder and anneal every 3rd or 4th firing.

When I said same as any other brass, thats what I meant, but to add to that 3 times with a hunting load, My target loads are usually designed to provide long brass life and barrel life etc.etc. but My hunting loads are not i.e. my hunting rifles don't get shot nearly as much as tgt rifles so barrel life really isn't a concern. My hunting loads are designed to shoot as flat and accuratly as the cartridge will allow. So my velocity's are near max on hunting rifle cartridges. Depending on your chamber your cases may get hard to size near the belt, if they do there is an additional die you can buy to remedy this or you can just get some more brass. Does that help?

Yes, that certainly does help. As I said, I have heard different things as to brass life and figured you guys would know. I am glad to see that there are some myths out there, but getting this information is exactly what I was needing as I have no belted case experience. I have some old 222Rem. Norma brass that my Uncle gave me and I would guess they have been loaded at least 20 times as Unk was kind of a tight wad and for him a case was good until it split. I think they were using better quality brass back in the 50s and early 60s than what is being used now. I know that loading hot will reduce case life. Thanks for the help and info. FM

Norma was and is good stuff. I don't like it for cartridges I run "hot" though, because I have the opinion that the head is softer and smears at lower press's indicated by harder opening bolt's with alot lower charges. I realise that there are some volumetric reasons for this but due to its ease of sizing, ie 6-284 from 6.5-284. I think there are some alloy differences too. as opposed to winchester and lapua to name but a few. And yes, that would make it last alot longer. But there are alot of factors when it comes to choosing your brass and I won't be the one that tells you one brand is going to be the best fit everytime. I use several depending on the chamber I'm shooting (cartridge).

Foul Mike, with regards to brass I've been quite amazed with my 7RM. I'm probably at least on 8 times for my brass. I've had to throw just a few away because of splitting around the neck, but the others are still going strong. Primer pockets are tight and no indication of brass fatigue. I also don't anneal like 7mmRM, so that is probably why I'm getting less life on the ones that split.