• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 Rem. Mag and too much smoke

Jumpalot

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2006
Wyoming
I'm trying to work up a load with my 7mm mag and 180 grain Bergers and H1000. I've worked from 63 up to 69.5 grains before I saw too much pressure. All the loads had a lot of smoke coming out of the barrel. I'm also getting a lot of powder fouling. Is this powder too slow??
Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

Re: 7 Rem. Mag and too much smoke

Modern Reloading by Richard Lee 2nd edition shows 175grn bullet with the first powder being V-N170, second powder being H4350, so using the Relative Burn rate Chart (from Hodgdon.com) I think you are a little too slow.
SScott

If you can find some try h4831. it has been thought of as the benchmark powder for " normal " magnums for many years.

I've been using Retumbo in my 7mm RM, but haven't tried H1000. Retumbo is slightly slower, so I don't think it's the burn rate that is giving you smoke. I'd guess that it's just the way that powder reacts. The faster powders will not give you the velocity you are after with the 180s.

mscott is absolutely right. H1000 is not too slow. I would go even slower, although H1000 isn't a bad powder. I use RL-25 with great results on the 175 SMKs. Stick with the slow powders, otherwise you'll hit pressure at much lower velocities. I assume you're shooting a 26" or longer barrel?

I'm shooting a 26" barrel. I tried some H4831 and didn't have the smoke problem, but the groups aren't stellar. I have some Retumbo I can try. I was just leery going to a slower powder as I was afraid that the H1000 was already too slow.

I have had good luck with the H4831 SC and 215 primers in both 140, 168 and 180 VLD's.

Why are you worried about smoke? It's not like you're shooting black powder. The powder fouling may be a bit of a concern, but quite frankly I wouldn't worry about it unless it's affecting your accuracy. If it's a good load, use it.

The groups are pretty good at 200 yds. That's all the farther I've had a chance to shoot it. But, my ES is 48 fps. Can't imagine that will hold up at distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jumpalot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The groups are pretty good at 200 yds. That's all the farther I've had a chance to shoot it. But, my ES is 48 fps. Can't imagine that will hold up at distance. </div></div>

I wouldn't be happy with 48 fps for an ES. Obviously be careful, but I found with Retumbo adding powder doen't always give more velocity, but it seems to burn more efficiently. On one load I went from 70 to 71 grains, but only gained 20 fps. My velocity spread, however went from 40 fps down to 14 fps. I didn't use a large enough sample to be officially scientific, but it was obvious what had happened.

In my .25-06, I noticed that I had more smoke at a lower charge weights. The smoke, groups and ES/SDs all improved when I got closer to max charge weights.

Sounds like you have already worked to pressure, but did you notice fouling/smoke lessen as you approached max?

The smoke was a little less with the Federal primers than with the CCI. Didn't really notice the smoke lessen as I reached pressure. Stayed about the same.