• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 saum from a LA Sako 85?

bwahl

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2018
Bismarck, ND
I have a 7mm Rem mag in a Sako 85 for my all around big game rifle. But I'm starting to get a wild hair and wanting to build a capable mountain rifle that is more compact and shoots 140-170 gr mono bullets.

So I'm thinking about turning my 7 Rem mag into a 7 saum so I could run a 22" barrel with a 5" tbac ultra and a 1 in 8" twist.

I'm thinking this should be a bit more manageable than the current length barrel with the same suppressor and provide similar speeds.

Am I better off finding a different donor?

I'm assuming I'll get 2 maybe 3 rounds in my mag. Any feeding issues to be prepared for in a LA versus a short?

I’d be curious if you can run them long with hunting bullets.
the SAMMI chamber throat is a bit long for 180& 195 but that allows a 3.05 oal.

The few hunting bullets I tried were 2.85-2.9 ish.

I’d be curious if you can run them long with hunting bullets.
the SAMMI chamber throat is a bit long for 180& 195 but that allows a 3.05 oal.

The few hunting bullets I tried were 2.85-2.9 ish.
I'm looking at the 143, 155, and 169 Hammer Hunters specifically.....long bullets for sure

Not sure if the picture is the exact bullet. But if it is, it doesn't start as far down as say a berger 180 hybrid.

hammerbullets.com/product/284-cal-155g-hammer-hunter/