• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 SS max in a short barrel?

bwahl

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2018
Bismarck, ND
anyone running the 7 SS max in a 22" or shorter barrel?

What velocities are you getting with 150+ grain?

Tagging in. I have a 7sherman short that is in its final stages at LRI. 20" barrel. The guy who invented the cartridge said the efficiency shuld lead to less velocity loss per barrel inch. So we shall see!

Reactions: 2010Ruger
I’ve been eyeing the 7ss. Looking forward to the range report from a 20”

Reactions: bwahl
Tagging in. I have a 7sherman short that is in its final stages at LRI. 20" barrel. The guy who invented the cartridge said the efficiency shuld lead to less velocity loss per barrel inch. So we shall see!
Do yourself a favor and stock up on RL26, and 4831 sc. Those two powders have shown some of the more impressive speeds (if that's what you're after). I'm running H1000 in my SS and it's running 2750 ish (24" barrel) with 175's. I've got some RL26 on hand, just waiting until after deer season to chase velocity.

Reactions: 808caliber
Do yourself a favor and stock up on RL26, and 4831 sc. Those two powders have shown some of the more impressive speeds (if that's what you're after). I'm running H1000 in my SS and it's running 2750 ish (24" barrel) with 175's. I've got some RL26 on hand, just waiting until after deer season to chase velocity.
That seems abnormally slow compared to other people running 24" tubes....I could be misinformed. What charge of H1000 are you running? I believe Mr. Sherman told me hes running that same bullet out of a 26" tube (didn't say which powder) and hes getting 2950.

Thanks for the headsup. Hard to find specific powders down here. But shuld be able to start stocking up on RL26

You think RL 26 will be a bit to slow for a short barrel....is that just completely dependent upon bullet mass?

Woke up to pics of the completed build this AM and got shipping notification. Not sure ive ever been more excited about anything. Gonna feel conflicted on takin this into the mountains this year for goat season lol. Cant express how smoothly the entire build went with @LongRifles Inc. Kali, Chad, Sam, and Cory always pick up the phone to answer questions and the photo tracking updates are legit. Should have it next week at my ffl. Gotta stock up on powders, dies, brass, and bullets. Mahalo again Chad, will be in contact for more builds in the future!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1581541913298.jpg
    FB_IMG_1581541913298.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 90
  • FB_IMG_1581541887679.jpg
    FB_IMG_1581541887679.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 88
Awesome gun! I love my 7ss. I wanna hear how it does. I could see myself with a shorter barrel and running the 168 vld.

I got 3000 fps with 180 grain vld and the recommended load of 60.5 gr of RL 26. My barrel is 26". I think you might lose 20 fps per inch or less it just seems to be in a sweet spot for the 7mm.

I think if you go with a 175 or 168, you can get up to 3000 fps with RL26 or another powder possibly. The 180 shoots so well with RL 26 I would still take it at 2900 or so.

I got 2970 with 60.5 grains of H1000 but higher pressures. I could not go much higher without a sticky bolt. I shot the load in AK and we took deer at 575 and a caribou at 425. Performed awesome.

I know a buddy ran 180 vld and a VV powder. I can't remember which but it was 3000fps and ES of like 12. He hammered elk and mule deer out to 600.

Retumbo was compressed and slow. I gave up on it.

On the other hand, I went 61 grain of rl26 and got 3030ish fps with no pressure signs.

This is my 100 yard zero and my 300 yard group. The vertical was all me, I forgot my bipod and was shooting off a couple stacked bags. The bottom bag was my big pillow with light fill. The 300 yard group is still only 2 inches high, so lets call it .7 moa.
20200201_144907.jpg
20200203_112315.jpg

Reactions: CStroud
Awesome gun! I love my 7ss. I wanna hear how it does. I could see myself with a shorter barrel and running the 168 vld.

I got 3000 fps with 180 grain vld and the recommended load of 60.5 gr of RL 26. My barrel is 26". I think you might lose 20 fps per inch or less it just seems to be in a sweet spot for the 7mm.

I think if you go with a 175 or 168, you can get up to 3000 fps with RL26 or another powder possibly. The 180 shoots so well with RL 26 I would still take it at 2900 or so.

I got 2970 with 60.5 grains of H1000 but higher pressures. I could not go much higher without a sticky bolt. I shot the load in AK and we took deer at 575 and a caribou at 425. Performed awesome.

I know a buddy ran 180 vld and a VV powder. I can't remember which but it was 3000fps and ES of like 12. He hammered elk and mule deer out to 600.

Retumbo was compressed and slow. I gave up on it.

On the other hand, I went 61 grain of rl26 and got 3030ish fps with no pressure signs.

This is my 100 yard zero and my 300 yard group. The vertical was all me, I forgot my bipod and was shooting off a couple stacked bags. The bottom bag was my big pillow with light fill. The 300 yard group is still only 2 inches high, so lets call it .7 moa.
View attachment 7248199View attachment 7248200

Thanks for the write up! Will post some groups with load development. Probably wont be for a few months though.

my 22" 7 max is finished and I have all my brass fireformed.

first step was to get a feel for where I was going to be for velocity. RL 26 and n565 are impossible to find so I've started with rl 23 and the 143 hammer hunter and 145 badlands bulldozer. Seated both pretty close to the lands.

got up to 65 grains in the hammer without pressure. I did get the slightest resistance in bolt lift so I have a feeling that 65 is near max. the V3 gave me a reading of 3198 fps out of a 22" tube.

The badlands bulldozer showed pressure much sooner (3000 fps) but got up to the same speed at 65 grains (3195). I believe the pressure came from seating depth as these seem to prefer some .015 or more jump. I'm going to seat them deeper and see if that alleviates the pressure issue. Probably wasn't smart of me to push pressure that high.

Not sure how much faster n565 of rl 26 could get me. I read 26 is really dirty and I don't want to have to be concerned about my can getting stuck on or having to clean inside of 50 rounds all the time. I hear n565 is cleaner and more temp stable than 26 but I'm sure its marginal. I'll run 23 again a bit deeper and see if I can get up to 3200 without pressure in the badlands bulldozer. It has a higher bc so even at 3200 it performs pretty well at distance.

My goal was 3300 for 140 class, but it looks like it will take a powder with more energy to get there. Thinking my only chance is n565 or RL 26 if I want even moderate temp stability. Could try some H1000 too but most guys are saying they get more speed with Rl 23.

Reactions: hereinaz
The VV powder is where I would start, being double base powders, if you are not using R 26.

RL 26 was like magic for me, might be worth a shot for you and deal with it....

Reactions: bwahl
With a short barrel and a can, you are you going to want to stay on the fast side of powders for the cartridge to to keep from filling your can with unburned powder. You may also want to check for barrel length, and powder warnings from the manufacturer of the can. If you don't have quick load, you may be able to get some one on here to give burn percentages with your barrel length and different powders.