• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 7 WSM and Cats

challett3

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2006
Tucson, AZ
What caliber would be too damaging on an AZ Lion. I am thinking anything larger than a .243?

Found some good area and if I get chance don't want too damage the cat too bad.

Re: 7 WSM and Cats

Use a premium controlled expansion bullet and put it through the ribcage. OR since cats are usually shot out of trees, load down your 7 WSM to 7x57 levels with a big old round nose 160 gr softpoint.

Oh here we go again....ive never done it... but, ill tell you how to do it. Nice mr. H.

challet: If you are hunting with hounds and are concerned about damaging the hide, use a .22 magnum. Most experienced houndsmen carry a .22 mag revolver and will agree with me its all you need.

If you are trying to call one in just use your coyote rifle.

Ive seen many, many cougar taken both ways.

So, Mr Expert, are you suggesting that what I said will not work? Do you believe that minimizing pelt damage in a Puma shot out of a tree is different than doing so with another furbearer on the ground? I have never jumped out of an airplane either, but could probably suggest that a parachute was a good idea and even tell you how to deploy it. Why? Because I know how to read... a skill that is no longer too well understood by some.
FYI around here, experienced "houndsmen" hunting cats before bear are hibernating, carry 45-70 Marlin Guide Guns stoked with Buffalo Bore ammo. Be sure to have your next of kin let me know when that "cat" your dogs go after turns out to be Mr Griz and how well your 22 mag worked then! LMFAO!

"...when that "cat" your dogs go after turns out to be Mr Griz..."

Grizzly bears in Arizona...........LOL

A 7mm Magnum seem a tad much. Surely get a large exit wound, which is what he is trying to avoid.

A smaller caliber, with no exit wound, would seem to be better in the interest of saving the pelt.

Does anyone read the posts? pgs is in MONTANA. In case you missed it there are lotsa bears there. Does anyone read the posts? I suggested a very reduced load with an almost non expanding bullet (if shot through the lungs), hence NO LARGE EXIT WOUND.

Lotsa Puma hunting in Merryland is there? LOL

Love your gun laws...might as well move to England!

See: http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_md.htm

FOUR pages of rules designed to keep you helpless!

Lotsa of possibles to replace Hanks in the sequel !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone read the posts? pgs is in MONTANA. In case you missed it there are lotsa bears there. Does anyone read the posts? I suggested a very reduced load with an almost non expanding bullet (if shot through the lungs), hence NO LARGE EXIT WOUND.

Lotsa of possibles to replace Hanks in the sequel ! </div></div>

As usual, you posted something that is irreverent and off the subject.
Tell us why he need for a grizzly bear gun in Arizona again?

Please give us some load data that will keep a 7 WSM inside a 50 to 175 pound cat?

You can't really ALL be that dense? The OP asked about AZ. I made a suggestion. Our expert from MT suggested a 22 magnum was what HE AND HIS BUDDIES USED IN MT.
I suggested that in bear country (LIKE F-ING MONTANA) a 22 mag might get your ass killed IF your dogs went after a bear. If you want to hunt in bear country with a 22 mag, be my guest. It will help the human gene pool a lot.

I never said "keep it inside". a 7mm hole thru both lungs will kill the cat and do no meaningful damage to the hide. This is not rocket science. I have a full mount red fox that was killed with a 12 bore deerslug. A good taxidermist made those two big holes vanish in the finished mount, so I doubt a .284 hole would be two hard to handle.

Done with this discussion as it's turned into a mine is bigger than your's drivel.

Yes, Arizona.

Another reason for the question is that shots may be upwards of 200-300 yards in the open canyons.

mr. h

in 11 years and countless bear encounters I have never seen a griz come after a human after dogs have been on it... only thing on that bears mind is get outta town and get the dogs off me. You talk like you actually have experience when you actually don't...

anywho....

Explosive bullets will be just that. Exit wounds will be just that. A good taxidermist can fix most "typical" holes in a pelt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't really ALL be that dense? The OP asked about AZ. I made a suggestion. Our expert from MT suggested a 22 magnum was what HE AND HIS BUDDIES USED IN MT.
I suggested that in bear country (LIKE F-ING MONTANA) a 22 mag might get your ass killed IF your dogs went after a bear. If you want to hunt in bear country with a 22 mag, be my guest. It will help the human gene pool a lot.

I never said "keep it inside". a 7mm hole thru both lungs will kill the cat and do no meaningful damage to the hide. This is not rocket science. I have a full mount red fox that was killed with a 12 bore deerslug. A good taxidermist made those two big holes vanish in the finished mount, so I doubt a .284 hole would be two hard to handle.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Done with this discussion</span> as it's turned into a mine is bigger than your's drivel.

</div></div>

What’s the matter cat (Cougar, Catamount, Painter, Panther, Ghost cat, Puma, Shadow Cat, Mountain lion) got your tongue? Where is the reduced 7WSM load?

You were finished with this discussion with your first post. Premium bullets, downloaded 7WSM & Arizona Grizzly bear rifles.............LOL

Mr. h,

Im not much of a computer guy... I dont even know what LMFAO means.

I guess ill just keep on wearing out hunting boots while you keep wearing out key boards.

Have you ever even seen a mountain lion in the wild?

not to chime in but I went on a guided cougar hunt in idaho a few years ago and yes the guide carried a ruger single six carried in you guessed it 22mag. I talked to him extensivly and he said the cougar is a very soft skinned animal and not very tough when it comes to killing with rifle. he told me not to bring anything bigger than a 243. he even told me I could probably kill one with a 17hmr if I so desired he said that even coyotes are much tougher animals.

Here are a few pics of the female the guide wouldn't let me shoot. he only harvests males.

IMGP0654.jpg

IMGP0653.jpg

Mr Humble is a first class douche bag. On other sites he would be banned for trolling.

Good luck with the cat hunting. You tend to get in trouble for hunting the cats around here so I won't offer any advice.

-dan

diggler44:

Man you have some sweet pics there!

Did you get any old males treed?

I recall an article I read about 20 years ago by Bob Milek(he left us far too soon). He wrote about a trip where he killed a cougar on a guided hunt with a .22 Single Six.

But if it was hunting ME, I would want something a bit more substantial.

no luck on the male but on the bright side we did see this particular cougar on top of a deer it had just attacked. i know it was a fresh attack because when we spooked the cougar the deer got up and ran away. don't about getting lucky it would for sure have been toast had we have not spooked the cat.

The guides said the cougar population was taking a shit because of the reintroduction of the wolves.

I have shot deer and coyotes. Coyotes with the 7WSM cut them in half. Deer were fine. The lions are ranging between 70-90lbs. I have heard a 22 mag has killed a 74lb female, however, in AZ rimfire is illeagal when shooting big game.

Guess I'll wrap it up.
Yes I have seen several Puma up close as they are quite common where I live
No, I have never shot one as it's a special quota license and I have never applied as insofar as I know they are only hunted with dogs and I don't call shooting a treed cat "fair chase" hunting.
I'm sure a 22 will kill a cat, my only point was, counting on a 22 when hunting in country, like Montana, where you might encounter a Griz is risky
The OP never said a thing about 2-300 yard shots
Sorry if having an opinion makes me a troll
As for a reduced 7 WSM load, check any loading book for a cast bullet 7X57 load and just substitute a jacketed bullet of the same weight over some pufflon..... not really rocket science.
Now, hunting Wolves with Borzoi would be a real hunt!

LOL!!!

He must think hunting cats is easy... no doubt he's never been on one of those "easy" hunts. Hell, just turn the dogs loose walk up and kill it. LOL, fuck he's hilarious...

Cats give up the ghost fairly easy so,,, as said before in the posts above,,, your typical varmint rifle .223 to .243 will be sufficient. Hardest part will be getting him/her to commit to the call & decoy. Stay on stand for at least 45 minutes or longer if your in good area.

Sounds like a blast with the decoy and caller, may have to thin out the yotes first. I would opt 243 as well, maybe a 95 grn xp3 or the likes for less damage or 223 even, gotta add I do love the 22 wmr.

I think I will work on a .243 load as many had discussed. Thanks for the on topic replies.

Your first post
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use a premium controlled expansion bullet and put it through the ribcage. OR since cats are usually shot out of trees, load down your 7 WSM to 7x57 levels with a big old round nose 160 gr softpoint. </div></div>

Second
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, Mr Expert, are you suggesting that what I said will not work? Do you believe that minimizing pelt damage in a Puma shot out of a tree is different than doing so with another furbearer on the ground? I have never jumped out of an airplane either, but could probably suggest that a parachute was a good idea and even tell you how to deploy it. Why? Because I know how to read... a skill that is no longer too well understood by some.
FYI around here, experienced "houndsmen" hunting cats before bear are hibernating, carry 45-70 Marlin Guide Guns stoked with Buffalo Bore ammo. Be sure to have your next of kin let me know when that "cat" your dogs go after turns out to be Mr Griz and how well your 22 mag worked then! LMFAO!

</div></div>

Third
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone read the posts? pgs is in MONTANA. In case you missed it there are lotsa bears there. Does anyone read the posts? I suggested a very reduced load with an almost non expanding bullet (if shot through the lungs), hence NO LARGE EXIT WOUND.

Lotsa of possibles to replace Hanks in the sequel ! </div></div>

Forth
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't really ALL be that dense? The OP asked about AZ. I made a suggestion. Our expert from MT suggested a 22 magnum was what HE AND HIS BUDDIES USED IN MT.

Done with this discussion as it's turned into a mine is bigger than your's drivel.

Fifth
Mr. Humble said:
Guess I'll wrap it up.
Yes I have seen several Puma up close as they are quite common where I live
No, I have never shot one as it's a special quota license and I have never applied as insofar as I know they are only hunted with dogs and I don't call shooting a treed cat "fair chase" hunting.
I'm sure a 22 will kill a cat, my only point was, counting on a 22 when hunting in country, like Montana, where you might encounter a Griz is risky
The OP never said a thing about 2-300 yard shots
Sorry if having an opinion makes me a troll
As for a reduced 7 WSM load, check any loading book for a cast bullet 7X57 load and just substitute a jacketed bullet of the same weight over some pufflon..... not really rocket science.
Now, hunting Wolves with Borzoi would be a real hunt! </div></div>

To Sum up the previous five post for Alvin:
"No, I have never shot one" and I don't have any pertinent information to add to this thread...

Since you seem to focus on reading, you might be interested in P. O. Ackley book: <span style="font-style: italic">Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders Vol I</span> he has a chapter of the dangers of blow-ups from downloading magnum rifle cartridges.

BTW
In Maryland I can own:
Machine Gun
Short barreled rifle
Short barreled shotgun
Suppressor
Pistol
Revolver
Rifle
Shotgun

So I am far from living in England. Appears you don't know the law either.

I am sure for someone born, raised and spending most of his adult life in New York that the shoveling the shit is easy. Maybe you need to visit the stall of you '15 hands' horse and shovel there.