• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 WSM brass life

dmgreene

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2007
Old Salem, AL
I wondering what kind of brass life y'all are getting out Winchester brass? I have been shooting a 270WSM for about 5 years now and 4 to 5 reloadings is all I can get before the primer pockets start getting to loose and these are with moderate loads. I'm trying to make the decision whether to go straight 7WSM or 7-300WSM. The only reason from shying away from the 7-300WSM is I'm afraid of the possibility of chambering it in my 270WSM. With only .007" difference between the two neck sizes and a sloppy factory 270WSM chamber neck I can see where this might be possible. Thanks for any info.

David

Re: 7 WSM brass life

what type of primers are you useing? my 7wsm primer pockets start to get loose after 4-5 "hot" loadings, but I start with remington primers, then when they start to loosen up I switch to federal because the are a few thousands bigger, that gets me a few more loadings.

hope that helps, Steve

I'm using Win mag primers. I use Winchester LR and LRM primers in just about everything I load for. I don't want to have to change primers and possibly have to have 2 different loads if at all possible. I was just wondering if this was the nature of Winchester WSM brass. I am trying Remington brass right now and it doesn't seem to be any better.

David

I'm getting 8 to 10 loads from my Winny 7WSM brass before they go into the recycle bin (the pockets are still tight, but they start to show a touch of case separation inside the case). I anneal every 2 or 3 firings.

Look for Norma bass, that may help your problem.

Jeffvn