• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 70 Series Commander Sights

Ron Long

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Washington
I would like to replace the fixed rear sight on my commander. I would like a carry sight, not a target sight. I want to leave the front sight alone.
What would be some suggestions? I would also like some suggestions in low profile adjustable....
I would like to know if this requires major slide modification like the Novak. Does a BOMAR type site fit the dovetail?
I have tried the search and Google and I find nothing definitive. I need to know if you use it, and why?
Thanks

Re: 70 Series Commander Sights

Nearly any quality carry sight will require a different height front sight in order to sight in.

You could modify a bo mar style sight to fit a factory dovetail but, it will be neither the correct height for the factory front nor will it be good for carry.

Start by measuring the height of you current sight and figure out what rear will work with it.

Look at Brownells for a variety of different brands.

Thanks.. I will take a look. I was afraid I would have to change the front also. I like the low profile front, and wanted to keep it, but it may have to go.
Ron

The original blade rear 1911 sight is a great carry sight, and I've seen some Clark custom "sleeper" bullseye accuracy jobs where they made a taller one to handle the bbl locking up in a higher position.

Also, millet makes a rear sight that goes in w/out machinging, if I am not mistaken, but you would need a new front for it to work. It hangs over the rear of the slide.. and has a great sight picture and is low and snag-free.
159.jpg