• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 5r Chamber finish.

WVshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
NC
Here are a couple pictures of the chamber of my new 700 5r. Doesn't look that great to me but what do I know? Anyone care to tell me if this is an acceptable finish for a factory gun or does this indicate poor chamber reaming and should I contact remington about it?

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

Re: 700 5r Chamber finish.

What does brass fired in this chamber look like when it comes out?

I have not fired the rifle yet. I just purchased it and was giving it a look over when I noticed the chamber. Clearly I'm new to precision rifles and may be jumping the gun I just wanted to post this and see if it threw up any red flags to anyone or if you can just expect this in a factory rifle.

I guess I should fire the rifle and inspect the brass before worrying about it?

Subtle rings in the chamber are common. Those don't look so subtle. Like the previous poster said, shoot it and see. Use factory ammo so you don't give Remington an "out" if you have difficult extraction. Good luck.

Thanks. I don't have optics on it yet but I can probably run a few rounds through it just to see what they look like and hoe they extract.

I spend a lot of my days at work inspecting parts under microscopes and with micrometers so any time I can see stuff like that with the naked eye it freaks me out.

+1 to shoot a few factory rounds to look at the cases. My Rem 700 SPS-V chamber's shoulder looks the same. It leaves very faint rings on the shoulders on fired brass. You can't feel the rings on the brass with your fingernail, but if you hold them up to a light, you can barely see them.

He should be looking for rings around the exterior of the fire-formed case. If the rings are bad enough, it could cause a difficult extraction from the case trying to 'lock' into the rings of the chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> just shoot it and see... </div></div>

This is pretty true. I mean if it had gouges out of it and looked dangerous obviously dont shoot it. But I have seen pics and video showing factory Remington barrels with all sorts of tooling marks so bad that you wonder how they even shoot worth anything. So ya just give it a shot and if necessary I was just talking to a guy that has great luck shooting factory Remington barrels he just has them set back so a precision chamber essentially. Personally I wouldnt go to that extreme on a factory tube but if it shot fairly well to begin with it may be a better option than rebarelling. Shoot yours then weigh your options you may be able to polish or just clean or have it cleaned up.