• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 5r vs. '09 700 TTR

Nine_Iron88

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2008
San Antonio, TX
So after looking hard at my first bolt purchase I went with the 5r, seems all I have to do is my part and the weapon should do its well enough. Just picked one up, it’s been out of the box twice to handle, no rounds through it yet, and now I just saw on the remmy site the new for '09 tactical target rifle with the b/c stock, mag, and that funky triangle cut barrel but with the 5r rifling...

So what I’m looking at is either throwing the ss 5r barrel I have now on a new stock, plus adding the mag (was looking at the AICS 2.0 but wait time/expenses are leaning me toward the b/c) or selling my unfired 5r and forking out the extra dough on the TTR.

Thoughts on the TTR anyone?

Re: 700 5r vs. '09 700 TTR

I personally would rock your 5R how it is, spend the difference money on ammo, and shoot. If this is your first bolt rifle, why not give it a chance and see what you think before you worry about upgrading it? Time behind the trigger will tell you more about what you want in a stock or custom rifle than any other member here will be able to tell you what you want...

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally would rock your 5R how it is, spend the difference money on ammo, and shoot. If this is your first bolt rifle, why not give it a chance and see what you think before you worry about upgrading it? Time behind the trigger will tell you more about what you want in a stock or custom rifle than any other member here will be able to tell you what you want...

Dave </div></div>

Can I get a AMEN?

Well these ae my thoughts on the matter: It's hard to compare the two rifles because the TTR just came out, however;

Your 5R in hand is a proven winner. It has the heavier barrel which is a plus. That funky looking trianguler barrel on the TTR I for one just can't wrap my mind around.

In my opinion the H&S stock is a big plus over any Bell& Carlson.

The large bolt knob on the TTR is not absolutly needed, besides you can always have that added to your 5R if you choose.

The stainless on your 5R is an easy fix. Can be cheaply done with Krylon or with one of the more expensive finishes.

Its natural to be second guessing a pick, Hell I do it all the time. In your case there is no reason to do so. You have a great rifle in hand, enjoy it.

Do a search on the 5R, I have not heard of an owner that does not love that rifle, me included.

scout1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally would rock your 5R how it is, spend the difference money on ammo, and shoot. If this is your first bolt rifle, why not give it a chance and see what you think before you worry about upgrading it? Time behind the trigger will tell you more about what you want in a stock or custom rifle than any other member here will be able to tell you what you want...

Dave </div></div>

Can I get a AMEN? </div></div>

AMEN BROTHER AMEN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Nuttshooter said:
DebosDave said:
I personally would rock your 5R how it is, spend the difference money on ammo, and shoot. If this is your first bolt rifle, why not give it a chance and see what you think before you worry about upgrading it? Time behind the trigger will tell you more about what you want in a stock or custom rifle than any other member here will be able to tell you what you want...</div></div>

Very true, guess just one of those I just got 'this' and now 'that' is out, the 'tacticool' thing kinda got me too. I'm new to the 700, but not to shooting and I just can’t seem to get comfortable on the HS stock, plus in eyeballing it the alignment of the barrel is noticably off so either my HS stock is warped or the barrel just needs to be adjusted-probably an easy fix but I’m better at ripping apart m16s/m4s/m249s blindfolded and don’t wanna put tools to an unfamiliar weapon. Also figured IF I was to re-sell the 5r unfired/nib would be preferable to slightly used.

Most of all I just needed to get the thoughts out of my head and get the opinions of someone on the outside looking in. Thanks for all the replies!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nine_Iron88</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Nuttshooter said:
DebosDave said:
I personally would rock your 5R how it is, spend the difference money on ammo, and shoot. If this is your first bolt rifle, why not give it a chance and see what you think before you worry about upgrading it? Time behind the trigger will tell you more about what you want in a stock or custom rifle than any other member here will be able to tell you what you want...</div></div>

Very true, guess just one of those I just got 'this' and now 'that' is out, the 'tacticool' thing kinda got me too. I'm new to the 700, but not to shooting and I just can&#146;t seem to get comfortable on the HS stock, plus in eyeballing it the alignment of the barrel is noticably off so either my HS stock is warped or the barrel just needs to be adjusted-probably an easy fix but I&#146;m better at ripping apart m16s/m4s/m249s blindfolded and don&#146;t wanna put tools to an unfamiliar weapon. Also figured IF I was to re-sell the 5r unfired/nib would be preferable to slightly used.

Most of all I just needed to get the thoughts out of my head and get the opinions of someone on the outside looking in. Thanks for all the replies!
</div></div>

Nine Iron88,
When I first bought my 5R I did like the "feel" of the dual palm swells on the H&S stock, But I did get used to it. Now it may be what I do not prefer but it is something you get used too.

I doubt very much that anything is warped on your stock. Take the action screws out and lift the action out of the stock. Check in your stock to see if there is anything interfering with the action to stock fit, it happens.

When you reassemble the action to stock try to hold the barrel in place to allow equal space along the barrel channel as you tighten the action screws. Proper torque is 65 inch pounds.

Next is the most important. Gather rifle, some ammo and go out and shoot that sucker.

Hope this helps.

scout1

My 5R is one of the most impressive factory rifle i've owned. I ditched the B&C stock and bottom metal it came in and threw it in a manners t2a stock. I needed an adjustable comb beyond a stock pack and the mini chassis properly torq’ed tightened my groups up a bit more. Other than the stock and a Timney trigger I’ve done nothing to really accurize the rifle like truing/blueprinting or getting another barrel.

I've ran 155gr scenars, 168gr SMKs, 175gr BT LRs, and now Hornady match 178gr BTHP, all have shot 1/2 MOA at least when I’m doing my part. I say go for it, it's an excellent platform to get started into long range shooting.