• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 AAC-SD after glass bedding (still sucks)

SurgicalPrecision

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2011
West Virginia
www.youtube.com
I got bored and glass bedded my Remington 700 AAC-SD's Hogue stock. There was a slight improvement but if you ask me...... it still sucks. I guess a stock swap is in the future and then probably barrel swap..... to a better caliber...... like a 6.5X47 Lapua or .260 Rem AI......... or for that matter a 6.5 Grendel. Here's the video.

Watch me!

Re: 700 AAC-SD after glass bedding (still sucks)

Cant go wrong replacing that stock. Before i got the manners i duct taped the barrelled action to a broom stick and it was a major improvement.

Before you dump anymore money into it, maybe try giving Remington a call?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SurgicalPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got bored and glass bedded my Remington 700 AAC-SD's Hogue stock. There was a slight improvement but if you ask me...... it still sucks. I guess a stock swap is in the future and then probably barrel swap..... to a better caliber...... like a 6.5X47 Lapua or .260 Rem AI......... or for that matter a 6.5 Grendel. Here's the video.

Watch me! </div></div>

Glass bedding isn't the issue with the hogue, its that the forearm flexes. You'd be better off wrapping electrical tape or applying epoxy at the end of the forearm.

Also, you'll need a different bolt-head to make the 6.5 Grendel work, so I'd recommend against even considering that round.

ETA: I just watched your video. You don't EVER look comfortable behind the gun. It also looks like you're not square with the rifle; your left shoulder seems to be way forward, but that could be camera angles. Also, try getting your knuckle at 90 degrees on your trigger finger. It almost looks like there's a little room for improvement there.

did you put a few wraps of tape toward the end of the barrel where it touches the stock before you bedded it? I just finished my little brothers and we did that. When it came out and we put it all back together, it was a free float even on bipods. I have two of the sps tacticals in .308 and my brother has one as well and all three of them like different bullet seating depths. maybe try that. another thing to try is to grind out the end of the stock so the barrel can float, since you already bedded it. I did that with mine before I switched to the AICS and found it helped.

So is this rifle generally a crappy shooter out of the box, or is this just a function of a crappy stock?

Reason I ask is that I'm looking at potentially getting rid of my Savage FCP because I've had way too many issues with stuck cases in reloaded brass. I'm not looking to spend $4000 on a single rifle at this point, I'm not even looking to spend $1000 for that matter. Seems like the Rem 700 AAC is the next best option over the Savage.

I admire your resolve to fix it but it strikes me this is likely a case of turd polishing?

Don't waste any more time on it.....

Manners, McM, AICS, AXACIS etc. etc., you're not short on options!

Nice front rest though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DubGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is this rifle generally a crappy shooter out of the box, or is this just a function of a crappy stock?

Reason I ask is that I'm looking at potentially getting rid of my Savage FCP because I've had way too many issues with stuck cases in reloaded brass. I'm not looking to spend $4000 on a single rifle at this point, I'm not even looking to spend $1000 for that matter. Seems like the Rem 700 AAC is the next best option over the Savage. </div></div>

My buddy had a straight SPS Tactical (not the AAC model, so unthreaded with 1:12" twist rate). It shot about .8-1.0 MOA with 168 gr Fed GMM from a rest with rear bag at 100 yards.

After we adjusted the trigger, put it in an H-S Precision stock (which needed a skim-bed), it turned into a .5-.75 MOA shooter with the same ammunition. With handloads it'll do a bit better.

The AAC is about a $600 and change rifle. A B&C or used H-S Precision can be had for $200ish.

Really suprised at that...

My stock SPS Tactical (no acc-sd model) shoots less than .5moa at 100 yards, and pretty much same group at 200 yards where I am zero'd.

Now, even though I am doing this with mine, I still plan on switching stock eventually, and would love to get mine threaded...