• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 bdl floorplate

btc624

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
pennsylvania
can anyone tell me if there is a broken tab on this floorplate where my finger is pointing? my magazinge spring that is attached to the follower in my 700 bdl wont stay put, never noticed if there was a piece that went across the floorplate to secure the magazine spring or not?
MVC-017S.jpg

Re: 700 bdl floorplate

There should be a couple of folded clips that hold the magazine spring in place. The very bottom fold of the spring should slip into that area and the be held in place by tension. The side slots are pretty snug. You might want to put some light oil (not penetrating oil) on the sides to help the spring slip into the recesses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, there should be two tabs, here are what mine look like:

29eg9yp.jpg
</div></div>

The 2 of mine I checked are the same. 2 tabs near the top and a rounded pocket at the bottom.

thats a great photo and it appears my tabs are broken, Mine however is a newer model gun and i know this because instead of steel remington uses cheap powdered metal which is why the tabs broke so easily, also worth noting is that all the floor plates now are the same size long action or short action it doesnt matter. how they get around this is that instead of a single solid steel spring as you have in your photo mines the same size but they gave me a piece of metal spring (exactly like the spring material ) to act as a spacer so that the short action spring can be used on a long action floorplate, another bad cost saving idea. I will NEVER EVER buy this garbage that remington is selling today------nothing but sako's or tikka's for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btc624</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats a great photo and it appears my tabs are broken, Mine however is a newer model gun and i know this because instead of steel remington uses cheap powdered metal which is why the tabs broke so easily, also worth noting is that all the floor plates now are the same size long action or short action it doesnt matter. how they get around this is that instead of a single solid steel spring as you have in your photo mines the same size but they gave me a piece of metal spring (exactly like the spring material ) to act as a spacer so that the short action spring can be used on a long action floorplate, another bad cost saving idea. I will NEVER EVER buy this garbage that remington is selling today------nothing but sako's or tikka's for me. </div></div>

The floorplates or bottom metal is not that same for all actions. "Short" action and "medium" action bottom metal is the same the long action is different. That little steel shim is for .223 short action bottom metal that is used for .223 type cartridges. The spring is shorter and they use the little shim to keep the spring from moving in the floorplate.

I stand to be corrected, but still a crappy design, and that metal uhhhhhhhhhhhhh powdered metal it is. thanks for the clarification though.