• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 BDL Magazine alteration for longer OAL

Big Bad Ben

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2007
South Burlington, Vermont
Hi All,

I have a question about lengthening the magazine on a short action 700. I have a BDL in 308 that I had GA Precision build up a few years ago with a trued action and a Bartlein barrel. The rifle shoots beautifully and I’m loath to mess with it too much. The only problem I have with it is that my favorite load, which sits a few thousandths off the lands, is too long for the magazine. The only way I can shoot it is to single load. (I kept the original Remington BDL bottom metal –ok, plastic- and mag system.)

The chamber dimensions are the same as a GAP Crusader I used to own, so I know I can go to a Badger Ord detachable mag system and this load will fit. But I’m wondering if it’s possible to do anything with the existing setup? If I cut out or scalloped the front of the mag well insert then the loads would fit. But then would the follower stay in place?

Has anyone done that sort of alteration? Know if it’s possible? This is a rifle I use for hunting so I don’t want to compromise reliability. I may need those follow-up shots.

Thanks,

Ben

Re: 700 BDL Magazine alteration for longer OAL

Get a Wyatt extended box, cut out the rear of the mag cut in the action to fit, notch the extended box to fit over your mag release lever in the floor plate. I think you pick up about .110"

Re: 700 BDL Magazine alteration for longer OAL

In my humble opinion, the Wyatt boxes are a POS, too many feeding issues with them. Add a piece to the front of the mag box and mill out the bottom of the feed ramp to fit and be done with it. I have done this dozens of times and you don't need to do anything to the back of the mag well.